General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Clothing Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 08:26 AM
sbcvulcan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Clothing Inquiry

I am looking into investing in some heated clothing to extend my riding season. Has anyone owned or used or has any knowledge of the best systems and if there are issues with battery drainage? I have heard of Gerbings and First Gear.

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:32 AM
CSP067
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As for battery drainage, you don't want to run your heated gear on just the battery ... it draws some serious juice.

I've used Tourmaster stuff in the past. I have mixed emotions about it, but their customer service was great. I think Gerbing's is better, but don't have personal experience with it.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,804 Likes on 3,166 Posts

I ride to work 12 months a year and wear layered clothing and Gerbing heated gloves. I've never had the thermostat turned all the way up on my gloves as my hands would sweat too much. 15 years old, ratty and still working!

Old 09-17-2011, 08:45 AM
sbcvulcan
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CSP067
As for battery drainage, you don't want to run your heated gear on just the battery ... it draws some serious juice.
Since it is battery charged what are you referring to as an addition to the battery for power?

Old 09-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Unheated leather jacket, chaps, neck wrap/scarf with some LLBEAN deer skin mittens down to 20F. I don't get cold at all. Just blue jeans and a shirt under.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:02 AM
RKGary
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Gerbing, jacket liner, pant liner, gloves and socks. I live in Arizona and like to ride in the mountains during the winter. The gear works great. As stated even in 20 degree weather I do not have the thermostat up to high. If you get Gerbing get the dual thermostat.

The only mistake I made was the pant liner. Shedding layers when I get back towards Phoenix is difficult with the pant liner. I am looking at the overpant.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:28 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I have heated grips on my bike and that is an excellent choice. You can never leave them at home. My wife has some Tourmaster heated gear and it wokr very well.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:32 AM
CSP067
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sbcvulcan
Since it is battery charged what are you referring to as an addition to the battery for power?
What I mean is, have the bike running and the battery charging when using heated gear. Otherwise it's too much of a drain.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:42 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

the best way to check if your charging system is up for it is to add the amp drain of the gear you want with the available output you have. Those numbers are in the owners manual and online with the gear you're looking at. As long as your not running full gear (pants/socks/liner and gloves) for 2 you should be OK on most bikes. I've recommend a liner first than add from there as needed. Got a HD liner(made by Gerbing) on sale last year and found that was enough for my needs.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:54 AM
fortygeek
Cruiser

Gerbing's liner here. Get the dual thermostat, even if you only have one heated item...never know when a second heater (pants, gloves, etc) will come into play.

I keep mine on the bike all the time. Oregon coast weather can change quickly.

Quick Reply: Heated Clothing Inquiry