General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Clothing Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 10:00 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,065 Likes on 12,183 Posts

Originally Posted by sbcvulcan
I am looking into investing in some heated clothing to extend my riding season. Has anyone owned or used or has any knowledge of the best systems and if there are issues with battery drainage? I have heard of Gerbings and First Gear.

Thanks.
You need to find the output of your alternator. What kind of bike do you have?

A big touring bike like mine puts out plenty of power to handle heated gear. I have heated grips, Gerbings G3 heated gloves, and a Gerbings jacket liner. I run them off of the dual controller, and as others have mentioned, almost never on high - too hot. I can ride down to single digits and be comfortable except for face shield issues. I'm considering a heated shield, but at that point I feel I should just take out the snowmobile.

I chose Gerbings because they custom size the liners to fit you. I'm lanky and off the rack stuff usually doesn't work for me. Sleeves are almost always too short. Especially with heated liners, you want a good fit to keep the heating elements close to you.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:31 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Gerbing

All you really need, IMHO, is the jacket liner and gloves. When I first bought heated gloves, Gerbing just had the gauntlet gloves. The were(are) really warm but they were very bulky. Last year I went out and bought a pair of the new nubuck micro wire gloves. The work great and a lot less bulk.
As long as my chest area stays warm, I can just use long underwear jeans and chaps on the bottom and not be cold at all.
If you ride in a cold rain, a good rain suit that will keep out the water will also keep the wind at bay.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:32 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Gerbings here. I wear the overpants in our cold springs and falls instead of leather, and no longer notice the blast of cold air from between the fairing and the lowers that hits me square in the knees. On top, a Gerbing liner under the same leather jacket I wear in the summer. I'm hoping to find a pair of their new battery pack gloves under the Christmas tree. They look like the clear deal for standing the flag line in winter.

http://www.coreheat.net/Products/Hea...%20Gloves.html

Old 09-17-2011, 10:49 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,065 Likes on 12,183 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna rider
Last year I went out and bought a pair of the new nubuck micro wire gloves. The work great and a lot less bulk.
Those look nice. Do the keep wind out? Any issues with rain or getting wet? I'm thinking some type of waterproofing spray for suede might work on the backs of those.

My G3s are a little bulky. It would be nice to have a lighter option

Old 09-17-2011, 10:50 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

I have the full set of Gerbing. No problem with battery discharge. Have the jacket liner, not the vest. Like having heat on my arms also. Bought the outer pants which is nice as they can be easily taken off if temps heat up. Even in PA, I never actually put my bike away. Ridden down to 12 degrees, just so the roads are clear.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:00 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about 10 years ago I got a bunch of Harley gift certificates for Christmas. I would never have sprung for all that coin in one shot for heated gear, so I figured that was a good time to buy it. I bought a heated jacket liner, heated pants liner, heated gloves and a dual control thermostat. I rode with everything connected a few times and didn't have any charging system issues. Although now I just keep the jacket liner and t-stat control in the saddlebag. I haven't used the gloves or pants liner much. I've heard people complain about the Harley heated clothes (saying they don't hold up for long) but I can't complain about mine. 10 years and still working fine.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,815 Likes on 3,170 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna rider
. Last year I went out and bought a pair of the new nubuck micro wire gloves. The work great and a lot less bulk.
These nubuck micro gloves replace the 'old' gauntlet gloves wiring wise? I've started to look for a replacement for my oldie but goodies.

I also liked the gauntlet gloves when I get caught in the cold rain, ( pretty much waterproof.) These new ones can handle that?

Old 09-17-2011, 02:00 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for starting this thread. I just searched ebay for heated harley clothes and picked up the following for $200. The gear was only used for one trip. then the guy moved south.

- One Heated Vest
- One Set of Heated Gloves
- One Set of Heated Socks
- One Glove/Sock Harness
- One Dual Permanent-Mount Temp-Controllers.
- One Harley Davidson Belt Pouch

Old 09-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Larry64
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I have a Gerbings liner and a controller. I have had it for years and like it. There is a new company doing this and other electrical do dads. Powerlet. Some of the dealers around here are carring thier stuff. http://www.powerlet.com/

Old 09-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

You can add those hand warmer packs from walmart to your gloves or mittens and have hot hands for up to 5 hours without having heated anything. How may bikes can go 5 hours without stopping to refuel ? Remember the hands and feet only get cold when the body starts stealing heat for your core. Just sayin.

I ride behind nothing at 20F and i know some guys that ride geezer glides with full heated suits. I probably woudn't have to wear chaps on a Electra at those temps with all that wind block.

Last edited by Wildon883R; 09-17-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Heated Clothing Inquiry