General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I watch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011 | 07:48 AM
marcortez
|
Tourer
Default Can I watch?

I am paranoid about making sure any mechanical work done on my various toys is done correctly and completely.

Not having had any experience yet with a Harley dealer service department....can I watch the goings on with any servicing that is being done with my ride?

Or will I most likely be banished to the lonely "customer service waiting area"?

Thank you

Old 09-16-2011 | 07:52 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member

The dealer by me used to have a window where you could watch the mech work on your bike. You won't be bumpin elbows with him, but you could see what's goin on. Maybe other dealers still do.,,

Old 09-16-2011 | 07:59 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

If you don't know enough to do it your self....what good is watchin gonna do? Just sayin.

Old 09-16-2011 | 08:04 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member

Most service depts,(be it harley or chevy) won't let you into the area for insurance, safety reasons. Plus they don't have time to answer a lot of questions. An independent mechanic may be more lenient. One dealership in my area has a glass window where you can see into the shop but you can't see every stall.

Old 09-16-2011 | 08:05 AM
marcortez
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by craigffb
If you don't know enough to do it your self....what good is watchin gonna do? Just sayin.
That's very helpful....thanks for your concern.

Old 09-16-2011 | 08:05 AM
Skid Lid
Road Master

I understand that for warranty and such you have no other choice but to take the bike to a HD dealer, but for me, my bike is a good friend, and if you want to be alone with my good friend then I need to know you and trust you, I have a great car mechanic, been a good friend for years, I know him and I trust that was he does and says is 100% the best for me and my vehicle. I am yet to find a motorcycle mechanic like this, which is why I am pretty well versed and working on my own bike. This place it a great venue for asking trouble shooting questions or look for information.

Old 09-16-2011 | 08:09 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by craigffb
It allows you to slow down the work by asking 1000 questions that you won't understand the answers to.

Old 09-16-2011 | 08:15 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by marcortez
....can I watch the goings on with any servicing that is being done with my ride?
Watch and learn, my friend. Then get your shop manual, pick up a tool and enjoy!

Old 09-16-2011 | 08:19 AM
scasey
Road Master

Originally Posted by hdgzr
Watch and learn, my friend. Then get your shop manual, pick up a tool and enjoy!
Agree, great way to learn

Old 09-16-2011 | 08:29 AM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member

There is a sign at the indy that says $60 an hour flat rate,70 if you watch,80 if you have questions,90 if you have advice,100 if you want to help

I wrench my own stuff and i try to do the absolute best job i can do but i sure wouldnt want anyone watching my every move.---i do understand your concern though.At some point you are just gonna have to trust them and to realize that is what they went to school for and what they do for a living.

Quick Reply: Can I watch?