General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I watch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011 | 04:32 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by marcortez
I am paranoid about making sure any mechanical work done on my various toys is done correctly and completely.
If you think you know more than the mechanic at the dealer...maybe you should do the work yourself.
If on the other hand, you don't know how to do it at all then maybe you can't tell if he was doing it right or not.

Old 09-17-2011 | 05:45 AM
aloxdaddy99
Advanced

I have been working on cars and trucks for years. I have had bikes of different kinds for the last few years. I learn more by just watching and seeing the inside of the motor. The indy shop I take my bike to has a big window in front of the shop. I sit and watch them work so I can pick up on how the "pro's " do it so I don't have to pay them to do that again. I ask questions from the shop manager so as not to slow the tech down. I do have a shop manual but do not feel comfortable doing some things and that is when I take the scoot to them. I do what I feel comfortable with. I am hoping to get to the point where I don't need a shop unless it is "major" work.

Old 09-17-2011 | 10:24 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
Years ago we had a dip **** guy put a little oxygen and a little acceteleen in a trash bag and tied it with a string and let it float up about 10 feet and lit the string. About then an old man walks in as it goes off and he lost what little hearing he had left. Cost the shop dearly.
Instant termination, if it happened at my shop.

Old 09-17-2011 | 01:27 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
Instant termination, if it happened at my shop.

Seen asshats like that playing go bang tricks on big job sites during my millwright days that got their *** whipped for it on top of getting thrown off the site and blackballed at the hall . Some environments things that go boom are really frowned on by old timers .

Old 09-17-2011 | 01:39 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by FatBoyVeteran
There is a dealer near me where you can stand there in the bay and watch....you are free to roam about the service floor.

There is another dealer with windows where you can watch the work being done.

There is another with a single window and your lucky if your bike is in the first 2 lifts, anything beyond that and you can't see it.

There is another one where you don't even see the service bay. They pull your bike around back and its gone until they are done with it.

So I guess it all depends on the dealer. Some Indy shops are more relaxed and will allow it. Some will not. Just ask em.....who knows what they will say.

I've been the tech before and bottom line if I've got somebody watching my every move I quit working till they go away . I've been turning wrenches for a living since I was 17 on everything that has wheels or tracks to travel so I know more about it than the guy whose bike I'm working on or it wouldn't be in my shop in the first place now would it ? Pick your mechanics better and develop a little faith you'll get what you sow .

Old 09-17-2011 | 11:03 PM
Hog Heaven
Tourer

I recently took my bike in to have the fuel filter (in my gas tank) changed. No, I don't have the tools or the know how to change the filter (nor do I want to screw it up by wrenching it myself) but I wouldn't mind watching a tech do it from afar just to see if he's careful with my bike. Is it too much to ask that I get my gas tank back in the same condition as it was when I brought it in? Three scratches in the tank and a nice big scratch down the speedo cover was the result for having that fuel filter changed. Live and learn I suppose, I'm headed for another mechanic.

Old 09-18-2011 | 02:15 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Hog Heaven
I recently took my bike in to have the fuel filter (in my gas tank) changed. No, I don't have the tools or the know how to change the filter (nor do I want to screw it up by wrenching it myself) but I wouldn't mind watching a tech do it from afar just to see if he's careful with my bike. Is it too much to ask that I get my gas tank back in the same condition as it was when I brought it in? Three scratches in the tank and a nice big scratch down the speedo cover was the result for having that fuel filter changed. Live and learn I suppose, I'm headed for another mechanic.

I feel for you and no your not asking to much to get what you pay for and deserve it as the customer . What happened to you is a direct result of dealers paying dirt wages to their so called pro's . In the shop these guys are pushed to make time so they can pull a civil check at the end of the week and unfortunately it comes out on your end with less than professional work and working habits by these so called trained techs .

It sucks being a conscientious well qualified mechanic who wants to do a good job and take the time and care to get it just right but everyone and there brother is screaming about costs ( which the tech see's damn little of ) and then the owner of the place constantly looking for ways to cut what he is paying you . Human nature you hurry and do what's needed as fast as possible so you don't end up in a hole everyday making less than minimum wage in reality .

Why I got out of anything to do with dealers or large shops , last place I worked the ******* would change how he was paying you on a whim sometimes daily . One day your hourly and the world is good and you can be that professional , next your on flat rate surprise !! And when your doing service or warranty work on those box kit bike choppers that where all the rage around 2002 and there is no flat rate book or manual for them that will kill you . Have a good day and beat the flat rate where you'll pull 14hr pay for 8 worked surprise !!! I was paying hourly that day . This kinda **** happens .