General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Height And Its Effects

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 10:05 PM
rdking
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Height And Its Effects

Hi,

I have a stock detachable windshield on my RK Classic and would like to go with the 4" chopped windshield (for the looks). I've read a lot of posts regarding this subject but I would like to hear from anyone who went with a 4" chopped windshield and, if after using it for awhile, thought it was worth the change. Do you get hit by any more bugs or debris with the chopped windshield? Any other comments would be appreciated.[8D]

Old 07-15-2005, 12:09 AM
dozer22
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Windshield Height And Its Effects

I have the HD Oversized Wind Deflector(6 1/2 inches) on my 05 EG Classic and I love it. I have ridden about 1000 miles since installing it and I think it does just as good a job as the stock windshield. It still does a great job of deflecting wind and I have yet to get hit directly by a bug. Could be a fluke, but so far not even 1 complaint!

Old 07-15-2005, 12:35 AM
Papamte
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The only problem with going to a shorter shield is wind buffetting your head. If you go too low, the wind will hit you low enough to make your head bounce around and give you a stiff neck. Next time you ride, raise your head up to the height you figure it would be with the chopped windshield and see if it produces a lot turbulance. I personally like to just see over the shield to at least 40 feet in front of the bike. I can just feel the wind touching the very top of my helmet there. I plan on getting the 10 inch shield for my Ultra as the 12 inch stock shield makes me look through the shield just above where I want it to be.
You can go lower with your shield and not suffer too much wind if you can adjust the angle of the shield some. I had one on my 82' Kawasaki 750 that gave me fits until I got the angle just right. I don't know if you can adjust the angle on your RK without modifications. Just something to think about.

Old 07-15-2005, 09:37 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I cut my shield down 4 3/4" on my Roadking in order for me so see over it. It produces a little more wind noise, but nothing that is annoying. I would see if you can install a lower shield and take a ride. Possibly from your local HD store, then if you like it just cut down your stock shield.

Links to pics (use page 2)
https://www.hdforums.com/m_56877/mpage_2/tm.htm

Old 07-15-2005, 10:37 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

I had the short shield on my past road king and you do get a noticable amount of buffeting on your head with the short shield.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:36 PM
Greywolf
Cruiser

According to what I have read, to avoid wind buffeting and still see over the windshield the height should be from the tip of your nose to the top of the bridge of your nose. I have a 11" WS that's just below my nose and do feel some buffeting until I duck down about an inch or two.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:37 PM
rdking
Tourer

Maybe what I should do is just buy the chopped shield and use it for daily rides to work and around town. I'll keep the stock shield for out of town trips. Whadayathink?[&:]

Tom

Old 07-15-2005, 12:40 PM
rdking
Tourer

Forgot to mention I'm about 5'8"-5'9" tall. Being a little on the short side I'm thinking 4" off the stock height might be about right?[8D]

Tom

Old 07-15-2005, 10:05 PM
dirtnap664
Road Warrior

I put a shorty on my bike because the stock windshield was in my line of view. Ended up taking it off and not using it. Swapped it with a friend for the shorty windshield. I'm 5'9" - if I ride under 60 mph it's fine. Over 60 mph still gives you wind in the face and seems to hit me somewhere around my forehead. Not bad if you don't have a helmet on. If you have a helmet on it gets a little rough around 70 mph.

It does still seem to catch the bugs. Haven't caught one in the face yet since I put it on.