General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best places to ride in Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:25 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
Plenty of time to see Red Rock and go to Hoover.
Take the Hard Hat Tour at hoover if they still have it.

For those of you that have been there lately,are the check points still going on at Hoover?
Yes, but the only access is on the Nev. side as the AZ. entrance is closed and you travel over the new bridge.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:34 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

My 1st time in Vegas... last November.
Stayed at the Flamingo.....and never got off the 'strip'.
Let me know how the bike ride went.

chuck

Old 09-15-2011, 08:54 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go to hoover damn. Do NOT take the official tour for 11 bucks...not worth it. Go across the damn and then come back via the new highway overpass. Head to Mt. Charleston. Have lunch at the Lodge. Back to 'Vegas and the Red Rock loop...lots of places to stop and take pics. Then drive the strip and back to LV HD on Eastern.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I rented a bike in Vegas last October. We rode to Death Valley. I really enjoyed that. I also really like the ride through Lake Mead Recreation area. Beautiful scenery and very little traffic. Mt. Charleston was fun...likely to be pretty cold in October. (One day we were hot in Death Valley...the next we were freezing on Mt. Charleston). We did Red Rock. I'd give it an ok but it was my least favorite. Too much traffic of all types.

I rented from Eagle Rider. They will provide you will very useful maps of things to ride in the area. The discourage you from going to Death Valley, but I am very glad I ignored them.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:52 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 Good advice. Lake Mead is an awesome ride, as is Valley of Fire. If you have the time, Death Valley is amazing. If yo haven't been to Hoover Dam you should go, but we always hit tons of traffic there.

Originally Posted by Captain Bligh
I rented a bike in Vegas last October. We rode to Death Valley. I really enjoyed that. I also really like the ride through Lake Mead Recreation area. Beautiful scenery and very little traffic. Mt. Charleston was fun...likely to be pretty cold in October. (One day we were hot in Death Valley...the next we were freezing on Mt. Charleston). We did Red Rock. I'd give it an ok but it was my least favorite. Too much traffic of all types.

I rented from Eagle Rider. They will provide you will very useful maps of things to ride in the area. The discourage you from going to Death Valley, but I am very glad I ignored them.

Last edited by bigdaddy33; 09-15-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:08 PM
bfrmbama
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Bligh
likely to be pretty cold in October. (One day we were hot in Death Valley...the next we were freezing on Mt. Charleston).
That brings up a good question. What type of weather gear do I need? I figured I could get away with bringing a hoody at most.

BTW, thanks for all the riding suggestions. I'm checking it all out on google maps jonesing to get there and ride.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:30 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bfrmbama
That brings up a good question. What type of weather gear do I need? I figured I could get away with bringing a hoody at most.

BTW, thanks for all the riding suggestions. I'm checking it all out on google maps jonesing to get there and ride.
Average October high is 82 degrees. Average low is 54. That is at the Airport.
Any elevation change (and you can hardly ride anywhere outside of 'Vegas without a steep elevation change) and it will be much cooler, sometimes closer to the nighttime low temp.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:31 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by paud
Do NOT take the official tour for 11 bucks...not worth it.
The hard hat tour?

If thats what your talking about,I thought it was pretty bitchen to go inside the dam!

Maybe they dont have that one anymore because of 911?

Old 09-16-2011, 06:58 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stay away from the M Ranch.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:18 AM
bkelly1956
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bfrmbama
My company is having our conference in Las Vegas this year. I've got a Street Glide rented for Oct 6 from Las Vegas Harley - hope it's a 2012 103.

Anyway, I've got one day of riding to enjoy. What's the best route to take for the day. I'm thinking Hoover Dam just to see it but I'd also like to ride out to Red Rock.

Of course, I'm wanting to avoid major freeways and would prefer 2 lane to 4.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bryan
For one day...Valley of Fire, Red Rock Canyon and Hoover Dam. That will pretty much use a day if you're stopping to take in some sights. Oatman is very cool...an old gold mining town near Laughlin...a bit farther than the aforementioned places but doable in a day. When you have more time...Grand Canyon south rim and Lake Havasu.

Quick Reply: Best places to ride in Las Vegas