General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just askin bout leather

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:35 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

No size problems with sizing at LeatherUp.com on any of my 3 purchases. Read the size charts and the comments. I'm 6'2" and 215 and based on the information, ordered an XL which fits me perfectly.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:55 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If I had ordered 2 sizes bigger of the jacket then the sleeves would have been dragging the ground. Leatherups sizing is awful.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:22 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Whenever I want to buy something like this on-line, I always go to the reviews. You get a pretty good idea about the item from those.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:43 AM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Whenever I want to buy something like this on-line, I always go to the reviews. You get a pretty good idea about the item from those.
On this note, I believe Leatherup manipulates the reviews by not posting terribly bad ones.

Back to the issue at hand, I have a Leatherup armored, buffalo jacket and it is a ton of jacket for the money. It's comfortable and has thick, heavy leather. The thing must weigh at least 10lbs. I will have to say though, it's not as warm as I imagined it would be. The zip out liner is pretty skimpy. When it's cold (like less than 45), I use the liner and wear a t-shirt and hoodie under the jacket.

https://www.leatherup.com/site/product?pid=53284

Old 09-16-2011, 10:46 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by inswva
On this note, I believe Leatherup manipulates the reviews by not posting terribly bad ones.
I know they do because I wrote a bad review for the over-pants that tore immediately and it never made it to their site.

Not saying all the stuff is bad, but like most sites only the good reviews of their products are going to make main page.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Wilsons Leather - Factory Outlet

HD Clearance Sale

If you want to try it on, go to the dealer, find the jacket you like. Try it on, then look for it on ebay, etc. Most likely half price or less.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:04 AM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
Wilsons Leather - Factory Outlet
I'm sure it depends on the particular jacket, but the last Wilsons jacket I had was a complete POS. It fell apart in less than a year.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:13 AM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've found many good leather jackets on the net, but just be sure to search for "naked leather".

Full-Grain or Naked Leather
Full-Grain leather is made from the hand picked finest hides and only a transparent dye is added. The natural Full-Grain surface will wear better than other leather. Rather than wearing out, it
will develop a natural "Patina" and grow more beautiful over time. This type of leather is the ultimate riding grade and the most expensive.

A good quality jacket should also be 3 - 4oz (1.19 - 1.60mm) leather.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:15 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Back to the issue at hand, I have a Leatherup armored, buffalo jacket and it is a ton of jacket for the money. It's comfortable and has thick, heavy leather. The thing must weigh at least 10lbs. I will have to say though, it's not as warm as I imagined it would be. The zip out liner is pretty skimpy. When it's cold (like less than 45), I use the liner and wear a t-shirt and hoodie under the jacket.

https://www.leatherup.com/site/product?pid=53284
They usually let the ones about size get thru.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm sure it depends on the particular jacket, but the last Wilsons jacket I had was a complete POS. It fell apart in less than a year.
Mine has 40,000 miles on it, going strong, a little weathered. And I bought it used.

Quick Reply: Just askin bout leather