Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just askin bout leather

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:36 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Teiz make great stuff for the money. It's not Dainese quality but does not cost $600+ either. They sell direct so there is no dealer markup. Lots of positive reviews of their stuff on www.advrider.com

http://www.teizms.com/camino2-p-57.h...agmh6unhksk3g5

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/teiz-...ino-jacket.htm

Last edited by fat_tony; 09-14-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Hawghauler
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camsmith
Fox Creek Leather. Quality #1, Customer service= off the chart. Buy QUALITY....ONCE. It's more economical in the long run. Have had some of their stuff for 7 or 8 years. I was in between sizes on gloves, so was gonna order both, they only charged me for one pair and I sent other size back. They really are awesome to deal with. You could always search "Fox Creek Leather" on eBay also. I would 10X rather have their used stuff than brand new HD!!
+1 on FoxCreek. Best deal going on quality and value. My whole family sport FoxCreek.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:02 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,173 Likes on 2,432 Posts

I'm happy with my jacket from leatherup.com

Wife loves her jacket from fox creek

Kevin

Old 09-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Lid
Try on at the shop find the make model size you want, then start searching online. Simple as that.
Yup...just like that.
Went to the dealer and tried on coats to find what I liked and hmmm it was $569.00 Picked up the exact coat off Ebay "new with tags" for $342.00 delivered, thats 227 bucks difference.
Hard to beat that.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Fathertime500
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fox Creek VS HD Jackets

I was comparing jackets from both companies. Looks to me that Fox Creek runs about 5% cheaper. I guess you pay for quality either way. One thing though. HD has plenty of dealers to try on anything you want to get the fit just right. How many outlets does Fox Creek have. Its worth the 5% to me to try on anything at anytime. Just my thoughts. FT

Old 09-14-2011, 11:08 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

IMO leather without venting and CE armor (shoulders, elbows and back) is just a fashion jacket. Check the stitching, it should be double or triple stitched with heavy nylon or kevlar thread and no seams on the strike points otherwise it could tear apart when you need it most. Also 1.1 to 1.3mm leather is best. Much heavier than ~1.3mm is just extra weight with less flexibility and lighter could wear through. Quality tanned leather will not bleed dye if you get caught in the rain. Expansion or stretch panels will make it more comfortable on the bike and less restrictive to movement. Motorcycle jackets are supposed to fit tighter than street jackets, this helps eliminate drafts in colder weather and keeps the armor pads from slipping of the joints they are supposed to protect.

Unless you have your mind set on leather, a good quality 4 season textile touring jacket (~$300-$450) will be more comfortable and versatile with respect to usable temperature range as well as waterproof.

Last edited by fat_tony; 09-14-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master

I picked up a NOS 1982 Harley leather jacket for $50 including shipping on ebay. The amazing thing, is it doesn't have a visible logo on it anywhere, except a small Harley Davidson tag on the inside. I have a few others, but 9/10 times I head out I'll grab the Harley jacket.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:25 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I really like my Xelement Naked American Leather Cruiser Motorcycle Jacket from LeatherUp.com. It is a not too subtle copy of the Fox Creek Vented Racing Jacket, as you can tell from the photos below and can tell more clearly from a comparison of the respective website descriptions and photos. It is heavy naked leather, has CE armour in the elbows and shoulders and is about half the price of the Fox Creek version. If it doesn't fit, they have an easy exchange policy. I have bought boots, a vest and a jacket from LeatherUp and am very happy with all 3.

Attached Thumbnails Just askin bout leather-fox-creek-jacket-front.jpg   Just askin bout leather-fox-creek-jacket-back.jpg   Just askin bout leather-leatherup-jacket-front.jpg   Just askin bout leather-leatherup-jacket-back.jpg  
Old 09-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leatherup.com has some great jackets at some great prices, would have ordered from them but the $180 jacket I was going to buy was going to cost $104 for shipping to Canada, jebus!! Are they persoanlly flying it up to me, lol. O well, easy come easy go.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Druid
Tourer

http://www.proriderleather.com/
I went to their physical store and was very impressed by their selection, quality and price. They have more at the store then online, and they do custom embroidery too!

Quick Reply: Just askin bout leather