General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bright Ass Light Backlash???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:21 PM
DaveCarlson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to read these reviews. I bought one a few weeks back but haven't installed it yet. Still waiting for some warmer weather here in MN.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:43 PM
yandeltx
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an FYI. I just got off the phone with BAL and unfortunately those of us with a Deluxe (tombstone style) light are out of luck. It also sounds like they have no plans of making one anytime soon. Crap, I was wanting one of these.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:06 PM
jerryleon
Cruiser

sandcrab +1

Old 03-09-2012, 07:21 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend of mine put me onto this light about 2 weeks ago. He was in Fla and was so impressed after seeing it, he installed one on his wife's bike. I had been using the "Back Off" modulator by Signal Dynamicas on my Dyna for 2 years.....with my stock tail light. The modulation kept the cars and trucks off my rear very well, but I trust my friend and if he says this light is outstanding and I should look into it, I go with what he says as gospel. I Found out out my Harley Dealer in Michigan is an Authorized Dealer of this light so called them and ordered one be installed on my bike while it's still in storage. Well, we happen to be at the Ormond Beach Bruce Rossmeyers HD "Destination Daytona" for bike week and I saw them up close and functioning. Hubby's never seen them. Man, I cant believe how bright they are. Hubby said " Damn...... those are the brightest tail lights I've ever seen. He has Harley's LED's on his softail, but this is WAY, WAY brighter. They almost hurt your eyes they're so bright. Since I ride on his "6", I'd be the one ending up a hood ornament ...for $200 bucks..........and the option of 22 modulation mode settings and 3 brightness settings, I was glad I have them being put on my baby. It's so easy to change the modulation. It comes with a magnet you touch to the exterior of the tail light (upper right corner) to changes the blinking or combo blinking and steady. It's also Plug and Play. I know this will be the second best thing I ever bought... the Pro Pad Mini Beast air horn being the first.

Last edited by LWOS; 03-09-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:41 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DOMAPOI
Why pay so much? You can go to eBay
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw...d=320665308605

and buy a really really bright LED tail light for $50 and then get the plug and pins to crimp on the wires for about $5 and your done. That FL RED LED tail brake light that I bought in red and the one my son bought in smoke are bright as all get out. Then I bought one of those flashers ($17) that cause my tail light flash really fast for 4 times and then go on steady. That is all that is allowed in California (4 flashes before it HAS to go to steady on). It gets attention but no one has ever complained to me about it (other than the other bikes in our group that are riding behind me on a run and it is not a complaint but rather a statement about how bright they are and can't be missed). Total spent $67 which is a lot cheaper that that BAL-1!!!
I use the the Hyperlites myself, probably not as brightt as your set up, but the desired effect is the same (I hope). Not had any adverse reactions from drivers, except for one. My buddy, who has been my partner on the motor unit fr 13 years as well as riding w/ me off duty) folloed me in his car when I took my Ultra to the shop for repairs once. My Hyperlites are set on continuous flash (California flash is an option). He told me that after a while it was "annoying". I take that as proof that they work. I'd rather annòy 'em than get waffled by 'em any day!

Old 03-10-2012, 01:24 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I got 40K miles with my BAL-1 on two bikes. On trade the BAL was taken off and installed on my CVO.

My only complaint was from a Florida Highway Trooper after pulling me over for running a red light, waited 2 cycles for it to signal green then went through. I beat it in court.

Anyway the trooper stated my rear tail light was too bright and strobing 3 times. He said that was illegal but didnt cite me for that. He even stated I had missing red reflectors on my bike. Geez!

That was 22 months ago. No other Leo ever had a complaint since. Just compliments from them and other bikers. I notice about 30% of the cagers stay further back as well at traffic lights.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:25 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

That is strange because in the Florida Motorcycle Handbook they talk about "communicating your intent" and they say to flash your brake lights. It seem to me that all you are doing is assigning that task to an electronic device. There are several brake flashing devices out there that do the same thing with a stock tail light and they all say that they are legal in all states. I know here in California, it can't flash more than 4 times with each application of the brake and they must all be within 4 seconds of applying the brake as well.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:39 AM
OU812
Tourer

on BAL web site it says wireless remote to change modes, is that something else you have to buy?

Old 03-10-2012, 07:27 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by OU812
on BAL web site it says wireless remote to change modes, is that something else you have to buy?
They are refering to the supplied magnet that you use to change the pattern.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:40 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll get one someday

Quick Reply: Bright Ass Light Backlash???