Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bright Ass Light Backlash???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 04:07 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

I love mine!
Bikers ask me where they can get one...

Be careful if you leave the normal intensity on max. One day when my son was following me in his car he said the BAL-1 was so bright (run mode) that it looked like I was riding my brakes. Only when I hit the brakes did it become obvious to him that was the normal run mode...

Old 02-12-2012, 04:45 PM
profp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode the 2011 RFTW with my BAL-1... That is 500+ bikes in 6 platoons riding from LA to DC in 10 days. I got a few comments acknowledging that everyone could tell when I braked but that was just good spirited kidding... no complaints. Every little tweak you can add to make yourself more visible in traffic is a plus, I think. I added a BAL light to each of our Limiteds... would for the DeLuxe but they don't make that model yet.

Last edited by profp; 02-12-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:01 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by CSI
No......BUT I don't have mine set up to constant flash at a stop either. In run mode, I have it on the medium setting which is STILL substantially brighter than a stock tail light. In the Stop mode, I have it set to strobe upon brake application, then go to steady on.
Same with me on both my bikes, but max intensity. As far as peoples reaction to it, I've had people follow me into parking lots and inquire about it.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Trainlights
Tourer

After visiting the website, I'm considering getting one.

Great info as always! Thanks everyone!

Old 02-13-2012, 08:51 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,310 Posts

Originally Posted by Moondogger
I just ordered the BAL-1 taillight for my Road King and I know from the reviews here that it is very bright. I was wondering if anyone with this light has experienced any backlash from cagers for having, well... a bright *** taillight. Has anyone had anyone try to cut them off or "buzz" them for "blinding" them with their taillight?

Thought I'd ask to see if this is something I should expect.

Thanks!

-Alex

What's the difference? I've had people cut me off, try and run me off the road, and otherwise try and kill me plenty of times and I don't have BAL on my bike.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carlgrover
What's the difference? I've had people cut me off, try and run me off the road, and otherwise try and kill me plenty of times and I don't have BAL on my bike.
They're going to try & hit you from all directions. The BAL just makes you more visible (safer) when they would otherwise rearend you. The guy I bought my bike from was hit riding his previous one (minivan ran over him as he sat at a light). He got a new bike, but the accident screwed his leg up so bad that he was never really right after that & didn't ride much anymore. I figure that if the BAL saves me from getting rearended, it's worth 10 times as much!

I've had the BAL-1 for a year & it's great! Ordered mine after seeing one on a bike that was riding with us one day. It's a HUGE difference when you can compare it to a stock light out in the real world.

Like others have said, I've definately noticed that the cages don't ride my tail anymore. No complaints from anyone, especially me.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:23 AM
shield knot
6th Gear

I've only had my BAL-2 on my bike a couple of weeks but if they can't see they ain't lookin'

Old 02-13-2012, 11:51 AM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

I looked in my mirror at a stop light and noticed,stopped behind me, the guy who pulled in front of me and broke my hip and pelvis last year. My first thought was "money well spent on my BAL."

Old 02-13-2012, 12:30 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IS THIS a easy instal plug and play light or reqires some more technical wiring skills?

Old 02-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baust55
IS THIS a easy instal plug and play light or reqires some more technical wiring skills?
2 screws and plugging the harness in. I don't see how it could be made much easier to install.

Quick Reply: Bright Ass Light Backlash???