Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bright Ass Light Backlash???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 02:33 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NVWSSV
I installed the BAL-1 on my Ultra about a month ago. Set it to 3 strobes max intensity. Only complaints are from a group of guys I ride with, they say their retinas are fried after a couple of hours riding behind it. Now I ride at the back!
Same for me, bothered my buddy on medium intensity when braking at night on dark mountain roads. Now set on level one, it's still very bright. Totally understand, at night I also find it very annoying when stuck behind Priuses and other cars with really bright led brake lights.

Last edited by Twinrider; 09-30-2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:09 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

I picked up the BAL-1 and set it to the medium setting and to strobe 4 times then max intensity braking. I chose the medium because I felt the max setting didn't offer enough contrast to the brake light. The medium is plenty bright and, I feel, makes the modulation and brake light even more effective.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:59 PM
ROMPUS
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Three years on & just had a few people ask what kind of light it is.Got mine on brightest & strobe and then solid on.Some body to close, just jog the lever to activate it and they usually back off.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Moondogger
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

I viewed some GoPro footage my friend shot of me. The flashing lights are definitely noticeable. I also have my turn signals wired to flash with my brake light.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Biker John
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Called into an authorized seller of these locally and was inquiring about them. Got the run around for 20 minutes on how these 'supposedly leak water' into the lens housing. I thought OK sound like someone might of fargged up their unit?

Also, went onto raving about how they're not as bright from from the sides as are the Kuryan Panacea Light...LED's which he seemed to push 'more' and wanted to sell me.

In brief he wanted to sell me over 400 bucks worth of LED lights all around. I said...Gee I can't wait I'll be down shortly...'click'

Going to order B.A.L. online and make my own conclusions about them. Haven't seen a thread yet about these leaking water into the housing or anything else other than maybe some minor 'operator errors' occurring in learning how to set them up. Can't wait...Let there be Bright *** Lights

Old 10-18-2012, 02:14 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Biker John
Called into an authorized seller of these locally and was inquiring about them. Got the run around for 20 minutes on how these 'supposedly leak water' into the lens housing. I thought OK sound like someone might of fargged up their unit?

Also, went onto raving about how they're not as bright from from the sides as are the Kuryan Panacea Light...LED's which he seemed to push 'more' and wanted to sell me.

In brief he wanted to sell me over 400 bucks worth of LED lights all around. I said...Gee I can't wait I'll be down shortly...'click'

Going to order B.A.L. online and make my own conclusions about them. Haven't seen a thread yet about these leaking water into the housing or anything else other than maybe some minor 'operator errors' occurring in learning how to set them up. Can't wait...Let there be Bright *** Lights

I think you be very happy with your choice. It was the first mod I personally added to the bike and still one of my best!

Old 10-18-2012, 04:50 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Biker John
The B. A. L. Lens unit has a thick gasket material, other than the whole back end of the bike being submerged under water, it ain't leaking.
I've Had the same B. A. L. for 3 years now, first on my '09 FXDC and now on my '11 FLTRUSE. No water leaks after many washes and being caught riding in the rain.

You'll be a happy camper.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:03 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nope not once. i have had a lot of "Damn dude that thing i bright" at stop lights

Old 10-19-2012, 11:21 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My BAL 1 broke after about a year of use. Brake light would stay on all the time and it would flicker. Bit inconvenient as it was during a 12-day road trip.

BAL told me to send it in, replaced the electronics and then express-mailed it back along with a new gasket. I never did find out the cause of the problem. I had power-washed the bike the day before it broke but they said no water had gotten in but told me to make sure I install the gasket very carefully so it sealed at the top and around the wiring.

Haven't reinstalled it yet but was pleased with the customer service.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:37 AM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

When I was just a cager I found brake lights similar to this one irritating. I undertstood their purpose but the issue was due to a combination of how the light was programmed and odd riding habits.

One specific example was a rider who kept lightly using his brakes. Because he kept lighting up like a Christmas tree I had to ignore his light and focus on him to determine when he was actually slowing down.

Regardless, I am planning on purchasing one soon but I will program it to flash only once. Humans are creatures of habit, make it easy on those around you to understand your intent.

Quick Reply: Bright Ass Light Backlash???