Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pissed new bike rear spokes loose

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:11 PM
ClutchCargopa
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The issue is that the bikes are sent down the line with no QC check till the end. The sub assemblies are made outside York assembly and they are brought in just in time. The parts are handled direct from the manufacturer dock to the line.
The workers are told to check the previous assemblers work but there is really no time to do it. The bikes are run on the dyno and off loaded to skids. During the off load QC checks them.
When the reports come in from the dealers about warrenty issues upper management goes ballistic and the area where the problems occured are scrutinized and looked into with a fine tooth comb. The supplyer is also responsable at the time, and corrective action put into place
Yeah I know it sucks as a buyer, but the plant takes no guff when it comes to warrenty issues unless its a major defect that has the be recalled. Than it goes higher in the management and engineering is involved, than it becomes nasty.
Harley has many things wrong with it but when it comes to warrenty issues they become very serious about it and jobs are put on the chopping block.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:13 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

That would suck. I had my 1,000 mile service done yesterday and they snugged my spokes up, but none were really loose. I ride it hard, but don't do burn-outs, etc. And no place has worse roads than we do. I can't imagine how your's got so bad in only 2 weeks.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:14 PM
wvguy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all i got on it is 153 miles

all i put on it is 153 miles brand new heritage with a 103 love the bike talked to the dealer today they are going way over to fix it even comming to pick the bike up happy as hell

Old 09-14-2011, 04:42 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,733 Likes on 17,794 Posts

The MoCo is doing what every major business in the world is right now , cost cutting . In a big manufacturing plant they do that buy constantly shifting to cheaper sub suppliers for parts and QC takes a big hit in manpower during these times too management always see's that dept and maint. as useless overhead . Watched this play a few times in the plant I worked at same exact drill .

If there are enough instantiates of this problem reported by dealers back to the mothership they will shift suppliers or get all over their butts to tighten it up but not till then .

Hope yours was just a freak thing and glad they are taking care you that well .

Old 09-14-2011, 05:39 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Good to hear it's being taken care of. That's crazy. I've never had to tighten any of mine through the years.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 09-15-2011, 02:02 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

Posted in here all the time to check Ur spokes.

agree a new one shouldn't have issue, but U didn't say how many miles U put on her.

Should be check with put together and again at the 1k service.

I now do mine every spring and late summer. about every 5k.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:55 PM
wvguy
Cruiser
Default 153

153 miles is all shes got on her who would have checked them i mean ya know happy as hell to get the bike then this, oh well dealer done a great job got it this morning and im picking it up in the morning hats off to Harley Davidson of West Virgina super bunch of guys

Old 09-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,733 Likes on 2,006 Posts

I only weigh 154 pounds, but I still find a couple of loose spokes at every 5,000 mile service. Darn upstate New York roads!

Old 09-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a spoke wrench and check them yourself every few thousand miles. They'll loosen up again.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:27 PM
tryph
6th Gear

I agree!!! Bought a 2011 Street Bob and noticed my oil light come on at 1000 miles. Checked the oil and lo and behold...No fuggin' oil. I had to add 2 quarts of oil. Harleys quality control sucks as does the "stealership" I bought it from. Everything is my fault when I tell them of something wrong. (Stock...no oil leaks...etc etc) Do yourself a favor and perform your own service and buy a service manual and a few tools from V-Twin or J&P. You will be glad you did. Harleys are not rocket science like the stealership woudl like you to believe. Anyone with a bike should learn how to do service on it anyhow. 85 bucks an hour or free and some time...you decide!!!

Quick Reply: pissed new bike rear spokes loose