General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing EFI to CARB?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011 | 08:56 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mikey 1450
I know these are words from a dinasaur (me) but for what its worth, I would like to know exactly whats (Parts)required to change a EFI to carb. I would also like to know if anyone is making kits for the newer 96" and above engines.
I don't know of a kit but there are some that have made the switch using aftermarket ignition modules. I did some looking just for giggles and I can't see why you couldn't adapt stock carb modules to an injected bike. I looked at a 2005 Dyna and I believe I could make the swap fairly easy, even thought of trying it just because I love to mess with ****!

Old 09-14-2011 | 08:58 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Guys who have a carb'd bike will say they are the best

Guys with EFI will say THEY are the best.

Old 09-14-2011 | 08:59 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ackman1968
I don't know of a kit but there are some that have made the switch using aftermarket ignition modules. I did some looking just for giggles and I can't see why you couldn't adapt stock carb modules to an injected bike. I looked at a 2005 Dyna and I believe I could make the swap fairly easy, even thought of trying it just because I love to mess with ****!
You can even buy a mag for a twin cam so you can kick them!

Old 09-14-2011 | 10:22 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by traveler
Guys who have a carb'd bike will say they are the best

Guys with EFI will say THEY are the best.
I have an 07 Softail that is EFI of course and a 2000 Road King with a Mikuni. Love my Mikuni and the 07 is for sale. Just something about that Carb that is just plain fun.

Old 09-14-2011 | 01:30 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
The Harley sound died in 1999......
Yeah...big change then.
I think the "classic" Harley sound died with the last Shovel...
The Evo pretty close, but a bit different.
The carb'd Twinkie still sounds decent...but it ain't close to classic sound of the Shovel.

Old 09-14-2011 | 01:43 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

I am just guessing here, but I would think a carbed Twin Cam would sound pretty much like an EVO and Shovel if the VOES was switched off at idle. Cutting the timing back makes all the difference.

I did not know you could still get mags for the later engines. I love them for the reason that they are very reliable, and do not need the battery to start or run. Had one on my "45". Airplanes still use them for those reasons.

Old 09-14-2011 | 02:51 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

If you can get a twinkie or evo to sound just like a shovel. you're a magician.

~Joe

Old 09-14-2011 | 02:57 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
I am just guessing here, but I would think a carbed Twin Cam would sound pretty much like an EVO and Shovel if the VOES was switched off at idle. Cutting the timing back makes all the difference.

I did not know you could still get mags for the later engines. I love them for the reason that they are very reliable, and do not need the battery to start or run. Had one on my "45". Airplanes still use them for those reasons.
I could be wrong but I don't think the twin cams have a VOES, I believe they use a map sensor instead. Don't you loose a lot of low end power by bypassing a VOES?

Old 09-14-2011 | 03:02 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Just Dave
I could be wrong but I don't think the twin cams have a VOES, I believe they use a map sensor instead. Don't you loose a lot of low end power by bypassing a VOES?
I think he was talking about only bypassing the VOES at idle, which I must admit I'm a bit intrigued by.

Old 09-14-2011 | 03:03 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

When you switch off the VOES it retards the timing. I only switch it off at idle.

Quick Reply: Changing EFI to CARB?