General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you pass on the double yellow?
No and it's wrong
47.59%
No but I think it's okay for others
1.20%
Yes, but it's wrong and I regret it every time
4.22%
Yes, it's okay under certain conditions
46.99%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Do you pass on the double yellow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:02 AM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutch70
this post like many others is pointless.

so you felt you had to add to it ??

Old 09-14-2011, 01:24 PM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by krwould
Iteresting read here in PA...

§ 3303. Overtaking vehicle on the left.

(a) General rule.–The following rules shall govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to the limitations, exceptions and special rules stated in this chapter: (1) The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left of the other vehicle at a safe distance and shall stay to the left of the other vehicle until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle. [Nothing here about double yellow lines]

(2) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall not increase the speed of the vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle and shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle on suitable signal.

(b) Suitable signal defined.–Suitable signal for purposes of subsection (a)(2) shall be as follows: (1) At all times when head lamps are required to be lighted according to section 4302 (relating to the period for requiring lighted lamps), an audible signal or the intermittent flashing of low and high beams except that the use of high beams shall not be permitted when a vehicle is approaching from the opposite direction within 500 feet. (2) At all other times, an audible signal.
krwould, like someone already said, this is a "how" statute, not a "when" statute. The guy who posted the link is correct, there's nothing in this statute about double yellow lines. That's in THIS section...

§ 3307. No-passing zones. (a) Establishment and marking.–The department and local authorities may determine those portions of any highway under their respective jurisdictions where overtaking and passing or driving on the left side of the roadway would be especially hazardous and shall by appropriate signs or markings on the roadway indicate the beginning and end of such zones and when the signs or markings are in place and clearly visible to an ordinarily observant person every driver of a vehicle shall obey the directions of the signs or markings. Signs shall be placed to indicate the beginning and end of each no-passing zone.

There's also another section that defines what the lines have to look like, etc., etc. LOL. And THEN there's a section that has EXCEPTIONS to the whole "shall obey directions of the markings" section! Slow moving vehicles, farm equipment, blah blah blah.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:06 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it more on my FZ1, and I try to be reasonable, but I do it on my Road King when I feel it is safe and necessary.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:52 PM
cota247
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like others have stated, tose lines are placed with average cars in mind. If I can see far enough and know I have room to safely make the pass, I'm gone. More so on the Buell then the Ultra.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:59 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Cinci-King
I'll do it occasionally when it's clear. Bikes (even Harleys ) can accelerate, safely pass and brake in much shorter distances than a car.

For those that want to bitch that it's illegal, unless you have never knowingly committed a traffic violation, save your breath because you're just being hypocrites.

Its illegal. You do it and you take a chance and could get ticketed. Or killed. I've done it, but not where there is any real traffic, just on lonely stretches of road with clear visibility far down the road.

So do it if you want. And don't b!tch if you get a ticket, and I won't shed a tear if you get killed. And its the same for me.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:01 PM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I never say never, but overall I aint risking a head on or a wreck because I think I am too important to wait to pass legally

Old 09-15-2011, 02:15 PM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a lot of times what people fail to keep in mind is, sure you got by THAT @sshole, but there's bound to be another one a mile down the road. And secondly even if you get past them, don't crash, and don't get a ticket, how much farther ahead are you REALLY going to get? Consider how short most trips are and that you're probably only going to be making 10mph faster at best. So that means you'll save what? A minute? 3 minutes? Is it really worth the risk?

Old 09-15-2011, 02:58 PM
TFTCAR
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

In a group, never, On my own on the Deuce yes, On the Dresses there would have to be lots of room.