General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you pass on the double yellow?
No and it's wrong
47.59%
No but I think it's okay for others
1.20%
Yes, but it's wrong and I regret it every time
4.22%
Yes, it's okay under certain conditions
46.99%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Do you pass on the double yellow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,525 Likes on 6,272 Posts

Usually I only pass slow moving farm vehicles on the double yellow. If you are in a twisty road behind a combine you could be stuck dong 10 mph for 10 minutes. If you have a motorcycle you can pass lot safer than if you were driving a semi. Also people need to avoid blanket statements like it is always wrong. Recently WI revamped their standards, partly because they have an 8 year DMV renewal. So people are crashing because they can't see. Instead of fixing that, they changed the passing zone requirements. So you can have a no passing zone that was a passing zones for years before that.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:58 AM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Just await and pass when it is safe.
Exactly, & sometimes it is safe to cross the double line.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:02 AM
tweeter516
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I don't like the way your driving I'm passing you regardless of passing lane or not, I'll pass you in the breakdown lane if I have to. I take full advantage of the fact that my bike is much smaller and faster than a car. That being said I do not pass on curves, I may ride super aggressive but thats a risk not worth taking, it has to be a straight away that I have enough room to pass, but I don't pass anybody slow, I shoot right up to 80-90mph anytime I'm passing someone.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:07 AM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Farm tractors, horse and buggy rigs... sometimes you have to but make sure you are clear to do so...

Old 09-13-2011, 09:17 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

The way understood it is that with 500 feet (5 telephone poles) of unobstructed view, it's OK to pass over a double yellow. IDK, maybe I'm wrong? I'm no speed demon, but if someone is doing half the speed limit and I have 500 feet of no oncoming traffic, I'll pass. Never been sited or pulled over for it and I've never had even a close call.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:29 AM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Iteresting read here in PA...

§ 3303. Overtaking vehicle on the left.

(a) General rule.–The following rules shall govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to the limitations, exceptions and special rules stated in this chapter: (1) The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left of the other vehicle at a safe distance and shall stay to the left of the other vehicle until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle. [Nothing here about double yellow lines]

(2) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall not increase the speed of the vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle and shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle on suitable signal.

(b) Suitable signal defined.–Suitable signal for purposes of subsection (a)(2) shall be as follows: (1) At all times when head lamps are required to be lighted according to section 4302 (relating to the period for requiring lighted lamps), an audible signal or the intermittent flashing of low and high beams except that the use of high beams shall not be permitted when a vehicle is approaching from the opposite direction within 500 feet. (2) At all other times, an audible signal.

There is more, here is the link..

http://bettermotorcycling.wordpress....-law-conflict/

Old 09-13-2011, 09:31 AM
FlyLow
Road Master

I think this is one law if broken, and caught the driver should be charges with reckless driving, Because he is endangering both himself, the on coming driver, and the vehicle being passed. It's my pet peeve and if I was a cop I would be setting up station at one of these double yellow sites and daring someone to pass there. I hate seeing others pass on a double yellow it's so dangerous and here they do it everyday.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Cinci-King
Advanced

I'll do it occasionally when it's clear. Bikes (even Harleys ) can accelerate, safely pass and brake in much shorter distances than a car.

For those that want to bitch that it's illegal, unless you have never knowingly committed a traffic violation, save your breath because you're just being hypocrites.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:44 AM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

voted "Yess, but it's wrong and I regret it every time". That's partially true...I only regret it when the OL on the back, because I then have to listen to the bitchin' for the rest of the day, if not longer.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:45 AM
purvissp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I originally said no, but actually after thinking of all those Amish buggies I pass on yellow lines I should have said yes, under certain conditions.

Quick Reply: Do you pass on the double yellow?