Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How willing are dealers to 'deal'?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:44 PM
TMO
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How willing are dealers to 'deal'?

I am currently looking to purchase a new bike. I've never bought a new one at a dealer and don't have a lot of experience or knowledge, although I am learning as much as I can. I really like the Street Bob in Denim Black. I am waiting to sell my hot rod (65 nova) so I can get a new toy. If all goes as planned I will have cash to buy the bike.

At the dealership I visited, I was told "the price is the price, and frankly, we'd rather you'd finance it".

How true is that? I'd like to add a few things to the bike, like a weathered brown seat, cone air filter, etc. Do the dealers make you a better or lower offer if you pay cash? or what? Like i said, I don't have a lot of experience with HD dealers.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:02 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

When you finance the dealer makes more money each month from the interest.

Some dealers will deal, others won't, shop around. Best bet is to buy in the winter months when their sales are slow

Old 09-12-2011, 11:02 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

When you finance the dealer makes more money each month from the interest.

Some dealers will deal, others won't, shop around. Best bet is to buy in the winter months when their sales are slow

Old 09-13-2011, 12:30 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,633 Likes on 2,530 Posts

OH GOD not ANOTHER denim black Streetbob on the road!!? How cliche' & trendy!!

Seriously--check out the Superglide Custom--much better looking, and alot more bike for the same price.

Oh, and the "price" is NEVER the price--walk in with a cash deposit, ready to plunk, and you'll see what I mean.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain

Don't expect any Harley Dealers to come off MSRP. They will throw in a few goodies or a $500 gift certificate, but hold the MSRP.

I really can't imagine why they wouldn't jump all over the financing.

You also must realize the markup is pretty low on the Street Bob, its an entry level Big Twin, priced pretty low!

Old 09-13-2011, 07:18 AM
TMO
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dickey
OH GOD not ANOTHER denim black Streetbob on the road!!? How cliche' & trendy!!

Seriously--check out the Superglide Custom--much better looking, and alot more bike for the same price.
I guess you aren't a fan of the StreetBob. Coming from the 'hotrod' world, The street bob really appeals to my likes and dislikes. I enjoy a little bit of chrome but not a ton and that's what the Streetbob offers. The SGCustom is a good looking bike, but is slathered in chrome. I'd like to pick and choose where to put the shiney stuff and will be mostly a solo bike for myself.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:26 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting question. When I bought my 2008 FXDC, the price was "the price". Demand was high, and Super Glides sold as soon as they hit the floor. The salesman I dealt with saw me coming a mile away, and he knew I would get the bike somehow. That salesman is now gone, and the owner has gone through the paperwork and discovered that at least seven bikes could have been sold in the last MONTH if he had been a little more willing to negotiate. Something to consider.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:31 AM
useless49
1st Gear

I bought my first 'new' bike from a Harley Dealer. If they want to sell a bike they will deal. The bike I bought listed for 18,500. With me trading my sporster in and bickering with them, I finally got them down to 12,999.97. I then paid CASH. I was not going to finance and have to pay interest. They took the money. A dealer is to sell and the customer is to buy. If they want to sell, then they have to go with the customer.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:01 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

Wait until near the end of the month and then keep looking until you find a dealer that will deal.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:25 AM
NoMax
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Around here the price on new 2012's is MSRP and not a penny less. If you're looking at a "new" bike and want a deal definitely look for some 2011 models still on the showroom floor or wait for about 4 months and walk in with cash in hand, middle of winter. Or be like me and realize that you're going to pay more but get the bike you want right now!!

Quick Reply: How willing are dealers to 'deal'?