Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How willing are dealers to 'deal'?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:42 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of dealers will deal, they just won't come off of MSRP, for the bike their selling! They will give you more for your trade-in, or thrown in some "chrome bolt on's", or cut you a deal on extended warranty, some deal more than others!

But, when the ink goes on the paper, you'll see that the bike they sold you went out the door at MSRP. The MoCo, has held a gun to the head of the Dealers, for the last 3 or 4 years, to hold the line at MSRP, and it's worked. Any dealer that "breaks ranks" and goes below MSRP without one "Hell" of a good reason, will not be in the good graces of the MoCo very long!

That is "unwritten" in stone!!! That's something your Dealer, can't and won't talk about, but it's a fact! If they sell below MSRP, the bike better be a "Demo" or a factory incentive bike, from the MoCo.

In the end, it really doesn't make any difference how the "bottom line" price is arrived at. What your looking for is "How much is the bike going to cost me"?

Good Luck TMO, hope you get a great deal !!

Old 09-13-2011, 09:05 AM
stevemucha1
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some dealers will come off MSRP, you just have to shop around. In March of 2010, I approached my local dealer in Central Vermont for a price on a 2010 Street Glide. MSRP was $20,350 and that was the price I was quoted. No discounts, no nothing, even though I had bought four bikes from them previously and spent untold thousands on accessories and clothing.

I went to the next closest dealer in NH and walked out the door with the same bike for $18,640 (I had to pay sales tax to Vermont). I saved a considerable amount by going to another dealer although my relationship with the local dealership is non-exsistent. There are trade offs to saving money. Looking back, I probably would have bought the bike locally in order to preserve the relationship.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:43 AM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You're in a large metro area with lots of dealers so if you pit them against each other they will lower the price to get the sale.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:15 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Hummm... Its just like buying a new car,, U shop around.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:30 PM
TMO
Cruiser

So if I want a new Street Bob with V&H Short Shots/K&N Filter/V&H Fuel Pack, and I want to say put down 10K down payment, would they make a deal on the upgrade? I understand the MSRP thing and don't expect a huge break. I also don't have to have the Stage 1 but I really like the V&H pipes and K&N Breather look.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:58 PM
inaroush
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealers get kick backs on the financing.

Depending on the dealer some will work with you on pricing others will work you over on pricing.

I can tell you I went to 3 dealers here in NY locally and 2 of the 3 were *******'s the guy I bought from turned out to not only be straight up but a hell of a nice guy and the service ppl are also aces.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:11 PM
inaroush
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harleybass
A lot of dealers will deal, they just won't come off of MSRP, for the bike their selling! They will give you more for your trade-in, or thrown in some "chrome bolt on's", or cut you a deal on extended warranty, some deal more than others!

But, when the ink goes on the paper, you'll see that the bike they sold you went out the door at MSRP. The MoCo, has held a gun to the head of the Dealers, for the last 3 or 4 years, to hold the line at MSRP, and it's worked. Any dealer that "breaks ranks" and goes below MSRP without one "Hell" of a good reason, will not be in the good graces of the MoCo very long!

That is "unwritten" in stone!!! That's something your Dealer, can't and won't talk about, but it's a fact! If they sell below MSRP, the bike better be a "Demo" or a factory incentive bike, from the MoCo.

In the end, it really doesn't make any difference how the "bottom line" price is arrived at. What your looking for is "How much is the bike going to cost me"?

Good Luck TMO, hope you get a great deal !!

Good point although my dealer came off MSRP with some decent #'s

Old 09-15-2011, 05:29 PM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I shopped Florida last winter, found a couple of dealers who would not only not move off of the retail price but had over inflated dealer fees.
That being said I found two east coast dealers ready to make a deal, I almost bought a new Road Glide but kind of ran out of time.
Yes some will deal, the Street Glide deal was $1500 off of list with only a $495 set-up and dealer fee (Space Coast Harley).

Old 09-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TMO
I guess you aren't a fan of the StreetBob. Coming from the 'hotrod' world, The street bob really appeals to my likes and dislikes. I enjoy a little bit of chrome but not a ton and that's what the Streetbob offers. The SGCustom is a good looking bike, but is slathered in chrome. I'd like to pick and choose where to put the shiney stuff and will be mostly a solo bike for myself.

That's just dickey. Someone pisses in his wheaties every morning.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:27 PM
HoosierRider
6th Gear

I sold cars for a while in Florida at Naples Nissan and Germain Honda so I am sure it's the same game. Do not tell them you are paying cash they hate this it because they do not get their kickback from the finance company. If you are going to finance go to your bank and get pre qualified so you will know what interest your bank that knows you best is, then most likely the dealership will have a finance company beat the rate your bank quoted you. The dealers do the game where they will send the next 10 loans to that finance company if they approve this one at X%..... The finance is where you can get your head taken off and really screw yourself.. If you or anyone else wants to know how to save money PM me I will be glad to help....

Quick Reply: How willing are dealers to 'deal'?