General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Common sense will help keep you safe

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 07:54 AM
MattInFla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jiggydogo
Most accidents are at intersections and most drivers never see the other guy coming.
This happened to me in 1995, I was following a dump truck at about 40 mph through an intersection in my 93 Mustang GT when the dump truck suddenly turned without signalling I proceeded through the intersection and a guy getting ready to turn never saw me, I T-boned him, he survived thanks to quick responders the jaws of life and a lifeline helicopter, and he fully recovered from his injuries. Both of us learned a lesson the hard way.

I was reminded of this saturday night when a guy on a crotch rocket passed me and another bike and several cars on the right side at a very high rate of speed through a busy downtown intersection. A young lady was turning left at the intersection and never saw him. Luckily for him he had quick reflexes and had just enough time to get the bike down on its side before colliding with the car. The bike stopped dead where it hit the car, he slid about 50 feet down the road through the intersection and jumped right up, he was ok but the bike was totaled.
The young lady was at fault but I can assure you and the couple on the other bike riding with me will concur, she NEVER saw him coming, he was going too fast, she looked and he wasn't there she turned and in a blink of an eye he was there.

Thankfully he was ok but it could have been avoided by just using common sense. Slow down and look both ways before going through an intersection, don't assume that because you have the right away they are looking for you.

Be safe my brothers
The rider was traveling at a "very high rate of speed", which would make what happened at least partially his fault. It sounds like he was travelling well in excess of the speed limit, which certainly contributed to if not caused the accident.

I don't think your assessment that it was her fault is correct.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I t-boned a big *** station wagon on a Kawasaki ZR750 while doing the speed limit of 25mph and ended up doing a 12 o'clock stoppy off his front fender before the bike came back down. My front forks curved back into my radiator and I ended up doing $7,600 in damage to a $5,600 bike.

It was some 80 year old man who went through a stop sign and didn't see me. I wanted to kill somebody after I got up and saw this old guy getting out of the car and just had to limp away.

Learned that when I was taught everyone was out to kill me while I was riding that it was absolutely true.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:36 AM
07 Bob
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent post.
I personally witnessed the same situation at a busy intersection in rush hour traffic 5 1/2 years ago.
Unfortunately the rider of the crotch rocket was traveling too fast and had zero time for any reaction and slammed into the turning vehicle at 40+mph.
He didn't even flinch after the collision. Pronounced dead on the scene.
His impact actually spun the car 180 degrees around.
ALWAYS assume that car will be there!

Old 09-13-2011, 09:57 AM
redsled
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
I would have to disagree with that statement. If your paying attention and can spot the danger in time you can steer out of it or if you can't do that you can go into a controlled laydown slide.
*IF* you're paying attention??? You mean sometimes you ride and you're not? Or sometimes you are but you still have to crash on purpose? Why? What decisions did you make that would put you in such a situation? **** don't just appear magically out of nowhere.

Originally Posted by 07 Bob
Excellent post.
I personally witnessed the same situation at a busy intersection in rush hour traffic 5 1/2 years ago.
Unfortunately the rider of the crotch rocket was traveling too fast and had zero time for any reaction and slammed into the turning vehicle at 40+mph.
He didn't even flinch after the collision. Pronounced dead on the scene.
His impact actually spun the car 180 degrees around.
ALWAYS assume that car will be there!
Uh huh. And +1 Villiage Idiot - you are right, they *are* all out there trying to kill us. And if you ride that way, you will make better decisions, which, combined with good riding skills, will enable you to ride your bike for several hundred thousand miles without ever getting into a situation where "you have to lay 'er down." I know it sounds manly and all, and I know stunt riders do it all the time on tv.

Apart from a direct hit from an inbound meteor, or a cement truck plowing head on into you from the other lane across an intersection while you're parked at a red light (yeah, I heard of a biker dying this way), 99.999% of the things that put bikers on the ground are avoidable.

Those of you who really buy into the whole "sometimes you have no choice and have to lay er down" approach need to wake up, get out of the 60s, and learn to anticipate the evil ways of cages, animals, and unexpected road conditions - these are what will kill you. They are always there, and you have a choice - ignore that fact, and wait for your accident; or accept it, and ride like it's true, so you can avoid crashing.

Lay it down...

Last edited by redsled; 09-13-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:48 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redsled
First of all, if you ride a motorcycle, there are no accidents - there are only crashes. Accidents happen to you. Crashes are something you are responsible for. As in, "I crashed." Not, "I was in an accident." Get it?
No matter what you drive. In Kentucky, we officially changed the name of the reports police do, from "Traffic Accident Report" to "Collision Report" because they are almost never "accidents", just negligence.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:06 PM
TheSinistral
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12 years ago, I t-boned an 89 year old man in Ford Taurus while in my 1998 Jeep Wrangler at 40 mph. He failed to yield from oncoming left turn lane in front of me. If it were on my bike neither I nor my young sons wouldn't be here today.

What struck me most was how inevitable it was as it unfolded. He pulled out into intersection, panicked, stopped for a moment across my left and middle lanes while I quickly whipped into right lane (from the middle lane), then he PANICKED AGAIN??? and gunned the accelerator. I couldn't go anywhere..... just braked hard, finally lost traction and drilled him.... I spun around the intersection twice and he did a 540. Totalled both. Would have killed his passenger if he had one.... If he had just stopped the first time I would have cleared him (barely)..

It saved my *** a couple weeks ago. Blind intersection gave me flashbacks and I got on the brakes while trying to check the oncoming turn lane. Sure enough, a chickie snack pulled partially out and stopped..... but I no idiot... I had already shut it down and was at walking speed by the time she pulled her head out of her ***...

Old 09-14-2011, 03:39 PM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

never ever trust what another driver/rider is going to do. I don't pull out in front of cars with turn signals on either.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:27 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,985 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by SIDECAR BOB
never ever trust what another driver/rider is going to do. I don't pull out in front of cars with turn signals on either.
Yep my last bang up was like that , some old bleach blond bar hag pulled out of a blind concealed driveway , at 45 I flashed lights , horn ,downgeared , brakes and swung hard left toward the divider saw the front of that huge battlewagon she was driving dip down as she braked we had solid eye contact . I let off the brakes had a gap in front of the car which was still stopped and made it . Bitch let off the brakes hit me in the rear shock , snapped the bike sideways into the divider and we,re airborne about 5 foot of the ground . Hit the street 25 foot from the car bounced kicked the bike away and slid to a stop and shagged my *** to the curb in fear any following traffic . Road rash , right hip and leg black and blue for 6 weeks and problems with a sciatic nerve ever since on that side .

Cagers are just like deer when it's goes bad and they'll act just as stupid .

Old 09-14-2011, 07:09 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

A controlled "lay down" is such BS. How much "control" do you have when you only have metal making contact with the road? I'm sure your braking and steering control is much better with the bike on it's side rather than on the 2 rubber tires that have much better traction than your steel parts. You guys that think "laying it down" on purpose is a good idea need to get some more education.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:42 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,985 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
A controlled "lay down" is such BS. How much "control" do you have when you only have metal making contact with the road? I'm sure your braking and steering control is much better with the bike on it's side rather than on the 2 rubber tires that have much better traction than your steel parts. You guys that think "laying it down" on purpose is a good idea need to get some more education.
If you have never been in the situation that required that tactic you haven't got a f*cking clue what your sprouting off about boy it doesn't always go down where you can stay upright and minimize injury . Till you've been there butt out , I'll match skill sets with you anyday and wear your narrow *** out .

Quick Reply: Common sense will help keep you safe