General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys that have to ride 100mph - Rant

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Guys that have to ride 100mph - Rant

So, since we have the slow rider rant, I'll take it the other direction.

I don't understand guys that have to ride 100 mph all the time, everywhere they go. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. To me, it's just not enjoyable. Fun? Yes. Relaxing and enjoyable? No.

And before I get too much ****, I'm talking about guys that ride fast, not just a little over the speed limit. To be clear, I generally ride 5 to 10 over, which out west that's 70-75 mph on a 2-lane road and 80-85 on the highway. That's plenty fast, I don't care who you are.

Why does this bother me? Cause I have friends that ride that way. Long story short, I ride 1200 miles to North Platte, NE to meet my good buddy to then head up to Sturgis. I let him lead. Well, he's one of those guys. We're f'cking just flying up these two-lane Nebraska roads, passing everything in sight. That's another thing, this guy cannot stand having anything in front of him. Doesn't matter how fast they're going, he just has to pass. The ride sucked to be honest. White knuckled, in heavy traffic in both directions on two-lane roads at 80-90 mph.

Same thing with most of the guys around here. I realize I'm probably in the minority. I moved to Vegas about 4 years ago. Guys talk about going for rides, now I flat out ask them if they ride 100 mph everywhere they go. If they say yes, I pass.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Martimus
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'm fortunate... most of the people I ride with enjoy riding so we're never in that much of a hurry. From what I've seen, however, too damn many kids on crotch rockets seem to think 100mph is a reasonable freeway speed.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:42 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't care if you want to ride fast as long as you only risk YOUR life, by doing it out in the middle of nowhere where there are miles of visibility and no one else to endanger.

Do that s$#t around other people (especially me and mine) and I take it personal.

If you have the speed bug (and I did at one time in my life), take it to the track where you can learn something and REALLY fly.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

That has not been my experience.

I ran from Florida to Sturgis in just under 35 hours. I typically stayed less than 10 mph over the speed limit. (79 mph in 70 mph zone). During that whole trip not one bike passed me on the highway. I swear, not 1. There were a couple of guys that hung with me a while, but finally fell back.

My GPS showed a max speed of 89.5 mph at the end of the trip. I never touched 90 mph and was never passed.

Last edited by Jonesee; 09-12-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

It was the same way when I lived in Wyoming. Most guys wanted to ride at 100 mph every where they went.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:52 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

100mph?...Are you sure they are riding Harleys?

Old 09-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
100mph?...Are you sure they are riding Harleys?

LOL...I said they "liked" to ride 100 mph, if they're actually doing it, that's another story!!

Old 09-12-2011, 06:10 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a '5 over' kinda guy myself.
I like to set the cruise control at 5 over posted limit and just cruise
in the slow or center lane and watch everyone pass me by...

Old 09-12-2011, 06:11 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I'm "kinda" one of those guys. My 88" motor and low gearing more than anything else keeps me below 80mph. I ran it up to 90 or so once and noticed I was doing over 4K rpms. For some reason, that tends to keep me from keeping it there when I'm going.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:15 PM
im_big_ted
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only one thing your right harley might not be the fastest bike in the world but 10 years down the road what is your rice burnner worth oops!!!!!

Quick Reply: Guys that have to ride 100mph - Rant