General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys that have to ride 100mph - Rant

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 01:06 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Since I retired I just laugh when I see others are in a hurry to get anywhere.

Amazing how much less stress I have, not worrying about the clock changes Ur life..

I don't even wear a watch anymore either.

If something don't get done today. Oh well..

Old 09-13-2011, 01:07 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
Out West, if you don't go 90-100, you'll never get anywhere.
Haha the I-5,I-8, and I-15 (215 included) is dangerous at "posted speed limit" speeds

Old 09-13-2011, 01:11 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
Since I retired I just laugh when I see others are in a hurry to get anywhere.

Amazing how much less stress I have, not worrying about the clock changes Ur life..

I don't even wear a watch anymore either.

If something don't get done today. Oh well..
Yup...I think I'm jealous

Old 09-13-2011, 03:08 PM
bkelly1956
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fleabite
So, since we have the slow rider rant, I'll take it the other direction.

I don't understand guys that have to ride 100 mph all the time, everywhere they go. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. To me, it's just not enjoyable. Fun? Yes. Relaxing and enjoyable? No.

And before I get too much ****, I'm talking about guys that ride fast, not just a little over the speed limit. To be clear, I generally ride 5 to 10 over, which out west that's 70-75 mph on a 2-lane road and 80-85 on the highway. That's plenty fast, I don't care who you are.

Why does this bother me? Cause I have friends that ride that way. Long story short, I ride 1200 miles to North Platte, NE to meet my good buddy to then head up to Sturgis. I let him lead. Well, he's one of those guys. We're f'cking just flying up these two-lane Nebraska roads, passing everything in sight. That's another thing, this guy cannot stand having anything in front of him. Doesn't matter how fast they're going, he just has to pass. The ride sucked to be honest. White knuckled, in heavy traffic in both directions on two-lane roads at 80-90 mph.

Same thing with most of the guys around here. I realize I'm probably in the minority. I moved to Vegas about 4 years ago. Guys talk about going for rides, now I flat out ask them if they ride 100 mph everywhere they go. If they say yes, I pass.
I'm with ya. Spend enough time in the cage hurrying to get places. I ride to enjoy and relax. Don't get either when going too fast. We don't often ride with our friends who ride because of speed...alchohol too. Don't get me wrong on the alchohol. I enjoy that too...even a beer or two while riding...but not shots, which is what some of these guys do. the shots come after.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:33 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,076 Likes on 17,940 Posts

Originally Posted by alkay191
there are only 3-4 guys left out of the "OG crew" I used to ride with.... about 20 years ago.
Back then we were riding Shovels and Ironhead Sportsters and we were young and bulletproof.
We get together once or twice a year and "***** out" is about 20mph slower than it used to be, but still fun on occasion.
I really doubt I'd enjoy it all the time the way we used ride.
Taking track schools and racing also took a lot of wind out of my sails. I feel a lot more vulnerable on the street than on the track and try not to push it.
One of the biggest reasons I still ride HD and specially my old Shovelhead is so I DON'T ride over my head.
Man I have the feeling your over the head would be WAY beyond most in here , I can be an aggressive rider and I'm confident in my skills they have served me well in some hairy places to be on a bike . With your training and practical experience pretty sure I fall into " you need some work " category .

For the bulk of my riding it's ******* and butterflies ( you started something with that ) but I'll turn it up when the road or the situation calls for it . Sometimes you'll find that stretch of road with the perfect combination things that just has to ridden on the edge , why I've tweaked the old shovel so far out there so I can have both worlds my way .

Old 09-13-2011, 03:36 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alkay191
Taking track schools and racing also took a lot of wind out of my sails. I feel a lot more vulnerable on the street than on the track and try not to push it.
One of the biggest reasons I still ride HD and specially my old Shovelhead is so I DON'T ride over my head.
This is very true for me.

Once I learned how to drag a knee on the track, it REALLY slowed me down on the street, there was just no point to pushing it on the street when you know how fast you can go on the track.

I stepped down from my 600cc repli-racer to my Iron 883 for the same reason, I am not tempted to try and race around corners, just here to cruise and enjoy the ride....

Old 09-13-2011, 07:47 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Man I have the feeling your over the head would be WAY beyond most in here , I can be an aggressive rider and I'm confident in my skills they have served me well in some hairy places to be on a bike . With your training and practical experience pretty sure I fall into " you need some work " category .

For the bulk of my riding it's ******* and butterflies ( you started something with that ) but I'll turn it up when the road or the situation calls for it . Sometimes you'll find that stretch of road with the perfect combination things that just has to ridden on the edge , why I've tweaked the old shovel so far out there so I can have both worlds my way .
I'm a total chicken **** on the street compared to some that never been on the track. After you take a couple of 70 mph spills in full leathers and walk away with only bruzed ego and scraped up full face ARAI you realize how dangerous street is. Maybe I've developed the skill, but I also developed severe allergic reaction to guard rails,100 foot drop offs, oncoming traffic in blind corners, etc....
Its easier to ride fast on the track. We're all going in same direction, no cross traffic and its same set of corners over and over again. You can practice entry, apex and exit of each corner over and over specially in Endurance racing when you're on the bike for full hour or so.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:54 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
This is very true for me.

Once I learned how to drag a knee on the track, it REALLY slowed me down on the street, there was just no point to pushing it on the street when you know how fast you can go on the track.

I stepped down from my 600cc repli-racer to my Iron 883 for the same reason, I am not tempted to try and race around corners, just here to cruise and enjoy the ride....
After some track time you just can't go fast enough on the street to make it interesting. I gave up trying.
My Shovelhead is perfect for that. Ill handling, lousy power, 4 speed tranny and 65mph sweet spot! YEE-HAW !!!
combined with some "squid gear" and I'm perfectly happy cruising slow enough to **** off the guys in that other thread.

Do you still track ride or race?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:06 PM
dabluesguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Around 80 on the Interstate just feels right on my Road King but it is 15 over the limit so I do it sparingly. Don't need a ticket.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Bones77
Road Captain

Infrastructure in the state of IL is not good enough to run 100 mph anywhere. Roads here suck and are a death trap for speed.

Bones

Quick Reply: Guys that have to ride 100mph - Rant