General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys that have to ride 100mph - Rant

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm none to thrilled to sign a deathwish from going excessive speed on my softail. I had her up to 110 KPH and thats plenty fast, you would have no time to react to any situation at some of the speeds you guys are talking about. I travel posted speed limit and just let the speed freaks go by wheather they on a bike or car.
I didn't know until I got my bike that we lived on a major bike route that people travel to just to go on
http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motor...-_193ea71.html
I'm still a novice biker and went did this route once this summer and OMG if you don't have all your ducks in a row you could easily become a fatality on this road. Its a old railroad track that has been converted into a hiway, so the curves aren't banked in fact some of them are banked the wrong way, all 230 of them in a 60K stretch, very few passing lanes and a couple almost hairpin corners. Its a bikers dream road.
While I was cruisin with a buddy and outta nowhere on a double solid line a crotch rocket ( all I saw was lime green blur and a tailight) blew by us and prolly half dozen cars, it almost knocked me off my bike. Even in our car just going up to the ferry for the day, there is reckless crotch rocketeers putting other drivers at risk with thoughtless passing.
Living here in the mountains with no freeways or endless straight-a-ways and in absolutely no hurry to go anywhere, I just shake my head when some uncaring person flys by me and puts my life in jeopardy just cause he wants to be infront.
Live life to the fullest by driving safe to enjoy another day with your face in the wind.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:32 PM
markaria
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"its not probably just clapped out suspension combined with a full faired heavy bike. that thing should rock solid at those speeds. check motor mounts too."

My glide is not worn out, lol (12k miles) and its smooth and its as rock solid as any HD Ive been on...its just no zx14 at high speed. Not trying to start a pissing contest about hd vs "rice" but there is no bike that HD makes that will feel as composed at high speed as a busa/zx14 etc thats made for it. Can I go 100+mph on my EGC without losing control and crashing? Sure. would I want to? No!
just my 2cents

Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 PM
markaria
Advanced

Originally Posted by skratch
nope, not me. if you're a female and you pass me, i'll wave at ya, and then go back to ******* and butterflies
thats where its at...******* and butterflies!

Old 09-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Evil32
Intermediate

Yep, i'm with ya too.
Not interested in going crazy fast on a bike and not enjoying the ride. I'm normally around 5 over or so. I will admit, i like to get there quick, but roll off once i'm there and settle in.
If someone want's to, i wish them the best. I prefer being able to just get out and cruise, not race my life's time line.

Tony

Old 09-12-2011, 08:42 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by markaria
"its not probably just clapped out suspension combined with a full faired heavy bike. that thing should rock solid at those speeds. check motor mounts too."

My glide is not worn out, lol (12k miles) and its smooth and its as rock solid as any HD Ive been on...its just no zx14 at high speed. Not trying to start a pissing contest about hd vs "rice" but there is no bike that HD makes that will feel as composed at high speed as a busa/zx14 etc thats made for it. Can I go 100+mph on my EGC without losing control and crashing? Sure. would I want to? No!
just my 2cents
we must have different opinion on what a bike should feel like at speed. if I wasn't comfortable pushing a '07 with 12K on it above 70mph, I'd be very unhappy with it.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:54 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,189 Likes on 6,717 Posts

Didja ever notice that everybody going slower than you is a moron, and everybody that goes faster than you is a maniac?

Old 09-12-2011, 09:01 PM
dieselguy65
Tourer

Originally Posted by im_big_ted
I have only one thing your right harley might not be the fastest bike in the world but 10 years down the road what is your rice burnner worth oops!!!!!
not sure about that one. "worth" is different to different people. my 93 model crotch rocket with three times the mileage on it is way more dependable than my HD. matter of fact if i am going on a trip (like from south texas to nebraska) i take it before i even consider taking the hd. I know everytime i push the button it starts, wont have stuff fall off of it, etc. so to me it is more valuable. I pretty sure i wont be stranded on it. "worth", the harley is great to cruise around town, and make short trips, as long as i dont ride much farther than i feel like walkng at any given time. LOL. might **** off some, but its been my experience. I work on these things daily, and everyone i know rides rice or even a new triumph for daily riding duties.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Mr.G
Intermediate

I'm a 70-80 mph guy...unless I only feel like going 60 - what ticks me off is situations like I encountered on the last poker run I went on - our group of 4 bikes is riding 5-10 over, another group of 6 passes probably 10 bikes in a no passing zone, with hills around at over 100 mph - only to hit the next stop in 2 miles. Have hit 105 on my King solo and 95 2- up so I'm not immune to the speed bug - that being said, more often than not its a 5-7 over type of deal which in SD means 70 on 2 lanes and 80 on I-state.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:06 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselguy65
not sure about that one. "worth" is different to different people. my 93 model crotch rocket with three times the mileage on it is way more dependable than my HD. matter of fact if i am going on a trip (like from south texas to nebraska) i take it before i even consider taking the hd. I know everytime i push the button it starts, wont have stuff fall off of it, etc. so to me it is more valuable. I pretty sure i wont be stranded on it. "worth", the harley is great to cruise around town, and make short trips, as long as i dont ride much farther than i feel like walkng at any given time. LOL. might **** off some, but its been my experience. I work on these things daily, and everyone i know rides rice or even a new triumph for daily riding duties.
If your working on these things daily and you don't feel comfortable riding farther than you can walk you need a different mechanic.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:11 PM
dieselguy65
Tourer

Originally Posted by soft 02
If your working on these things daily and you don't feel comfortable riding farther than you can walk you need a different mechanic.
and why would that be? I get paid to maintain a fleet of bikes for a fairly wealthy individual. and out of all of them the HD are the most unreliable, right out the box. "riding farther than i can walk" is something I been saying for years. about anything with reliability issues. not meant to be taken literally. as I dont mind a good 15 ormore mile walk anyway. good for the heart and mind.

Quick Reply: Guys that have to ride 100mph - Rant