General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys that have to ride 100mph - Rant

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 06:23 PM
PnDegc
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am with ya fleabite. What's the hurry.
Now, the other side of the equatione is: We have a nice on ramp to the highway, slightly downhill and I punched it one day with the wife on the back - nothin stupid, touched 90mph and I said- Do you know why I did that? And the wife said "because you can!" So everyonce in a while I like to punch it but then its back DOWN to the flow of traffic.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:27 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

60 mph is a mile a minute. It takes 1.5 seconds for your brain to inform you there is a problem, another 1.0 seconds to react. In this time (2.5 seconds), you have traveled 220 ft, now bear in mind you still have to stop the bike. At 100 mph you have signed your death certificate. I will stay at 60/65, will get there on the bike, not on a slab.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Bighamster
Advanced

Originally Posted by fleabite
S

We're f'cking just flying up these two-lane Nebraska roads, passing everything in sight. That's another thing, this guy cannot stand having anything in front of him. Doesn't matter how fast they're going, he just has to pass. The ride sucked to be honest. White knuckled, in heavy traffic in both directions on two-lane roads at 80-90 mph.

One thing I learned a long time ago is to ride your own ride. I control what my right hand is doing. I ride a a pace that is good for me, not you. If you don't like it no problem I will see ya when ya get there

Old 09-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

No you're not the minority. I think I've hit 100 on my bike maybe twice, just don't do that. Of course PA doesn't have the large open roads like out west. Our interstates are 65mph.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:33 PM
FLHP1034ME
Tourer

3000 rpm in 6th. On the interstate. Once in a while I like to bump it up for a short period just because I can. Otherwise....3000 is the magic number.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:37 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Meh, doesn't bother me if someone wants to ride fast all the time. I know a couple of guys who are like that and a couple more who were like that. Both killed within the last year as a direct result of their riding style. I rode with both of them each ONE TIME and never again. I enjoy life too much.

I have to assume that people who ride like that, do so understanding the risks.

Last edited by AnotherBlackSG; 09-12-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:38 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

So, since we have the slow rider rant, I'll take it the other direction.

I don't understand guys that have to ride 100 mph all the time, everywhere they go. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. To me, it's just not enjoyable. Fun? Yes. Relaxing and enjoyable? No.

And before I get too much ****, I'm talking about guys that ride fast, not just a little over the speed limit. To be clear, I generally ride 5 to 10 over, which out west that's 70-75 mph on a 2-lane road and 80-85 on the highway. That's plenty fast, I don't care who you are.

Why does this bother me? Cause I have friends that ride that way. Long story short, I ride 1200 miles to North Platte, NE to meet my good buddy to then head up to Sturgis. I let him lead. Well, he's one of those guys. We're f'cking just flying up these two-lane Nebraska roads, passing everything in sight. That's another thing, this guy cannot stand having anything in front of him. Doesn't matter how fast they're going, he just has to pass. The ride sucked to be honest. White knuckled, in heavy traffic in both directions on two-lane roads at 80-90 mph.

Same thing with most of the guys around here. I realize I'm probably in the minority. I moved to Vegas about 4 years ago. Guys talk about going for rides, now I flat out ask them if they ride 100 mph everywhere they go. If they say yes, I pass.
Dude; I agree with ya. In the summer months I can't count how many times I'm riding back down from Mt. Charleston and some guy blows by me and I'm doing 70 in a 55

Old 09-12-2011, 06:41 PM
SkinnyonFatboyLo
Cruiser

Well me personally I bought a cruiser for that reason to cruise. I will go the speed limit or 5 over and enjoy the ride. Like said earlier as long as they are not risking other lives let them ride like hell that is up to them. Life already goes by to fast I don't need my ride to go by any faster.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:51 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm a 5-10 over the posted speed also, every once in awhile if I'm on an open, and I do mean open and clear stretch of road I'll open the throttle for a few minutes, it's fun and gets the need for speed out of my system, other than that I like to cruise at a good pace and still be able to relax and enjoy.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:54 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

It was the same way when I lived in Wyoming. Most guys wanted to ride at 100 mph every where they went.

........ well, duh ......... in WY, EVERYTHING is out in the middle of nowhere ! ......

Quick Reply: Guys that have to ride 100mph - Rant