General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys that have to ride 100mph - Rant

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:33 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I rode sport bikes it was like that alot and I would not ride with guys that went fast all the time. Sure I hit high speeds at times on wide open highways only for a bit, but i'm a 5-10 over guy even on a sport bike. Here's the deal. If you don't want to ride that fast then don't. You control your bike so go the speed you want.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:38 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One of the reasons I got a Harley was so I would slow down some. In the 5 years I've had my Fat Boy I hardly ever go more then 10 miles over the speed limit.
With my previous bikes I was almost always the fastest moving vehicle in traffic. I didn't do it to show off. It was just the way I was wired. It is still hard for me to maintain my speed when another vehicle passes me, but I'm much better then I use to be.
Tom

Old 09-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha. This thread actually crossed my mind this morning as my speedo bounced around 95-100mph while aggressively navigating all four lanes of I-95 en route to work. Most of you would consider me a squid. I need to video my commute one morning.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:00 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
One of the reasons I got a Harley was so I would slow down some. In the 5 years I've had my Fat Boy I hardly ever go more then 10 miles over the speed limit.
With my previous bikes I was almost always the fastest moving vehicle in traffic. I didn't do it to show off. It was just the way I was wired. It is still hard for me to maintain my speed when another vehicle passes me, but I'm much better then I use to be.
Tom
Me too on the slowing down.

I still have my 600 rocket, but its up for sale (although I haven't advertised it much) and I hope to sell it this spring. I love it, and I'm tempted to keep it for a track bike (strip it down and safety wire everything), but I think I'm going to sell it and pay off the Harley super fast.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:21 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood Ball
Haha. This thread actually crossed my mind this morning as my speedo bounced around 95-100mph while aggressively navigating all four lanes of I-95 en route to work. Most of you would consider me a squid. I need to video my commute one morning.
From where to where? I'm from there so I know the 95 very well. It's a lot like the 5 in Cali. The speed limit is 55, but if you're going 60 you'll get trampled!

Old 09-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by terryrh
From where to where? I'm from there so I know the 95 very well. It's a lot like the 5 in Cali. The speed limit is 55, but if you're going 60 you'll get trampled!
Federal Hill/Baltimore to Columbia.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:35 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah so you know exactly what I'm talking about

Old 09-15-2011, 01:20 PM
DJA
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about the twisties?

Last Friday left Denver to go to Akron CO for a radial engine fly-in. The ride was two lane but straight as an arrow on the old highways. Went to the airplane fly-in, left around 1 pm and went to Sidney NE to Cabelas so one of the riders could buy a cheap helmet as NE is a helmet law state. Left there and ended up in Torrington WY. Ride was fine. Speed limit or 5-10 over which is what I ride at normally. This was the first time I rode with this group and they are all experienced riders. We visited a few old west sites just outside of Torrington and headed back thru the hills to Laramie where we split up. This is where things got strange for me(riding the curves back to Laramie and back to Denver). We rode thru some beautiful valleys and recreation areas with nice lakes. BUT for some reason the fellas I was riding with decided it was necessary to ride like their *** was on fire. I mean 20 over minimum thru the twisties. Now I can ride this but I wanted to enjoy the scenery. That is the ride for me.....Needless to say I was last in line and they had to wait for me to catch up. I spotted several things to look at and when I asked "did you see xxxxxxxxx" the would always answer yes. I knew this was BS since there was no way to see the scenery and keep your eye on the ever changing road. Same thing happened on the ride from Laramie to Walden-Granby. The race was on.... Sorry I like to look at the scenery and the wildlife. Riding the two lane or freeway was just at speed limit or just over but when they hit the curves...someone fired the starters gun...didnt understand that.
DJ

Old 09-15-2011, 02:35 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,074 Likes on 17,940 Posts

Some places in this country 80 and above are a real fact of life if you have any distance to go LOTS of wide open nowhere out here in the west , I'd be hesitant on the eastern side of this country it was bad when I left it in 72 can't see how it got any better since then .

Old 09-15-2011, 03:35 PM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

mostly stay around the limit, stay with the flow, little faster than the slow ones and slower than the fast ones. and once in a while when I know the road and road conditions and no traffic a little bit of open it up and fly a bit.