General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Groups Who Ride Slow - Rant

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:06 AM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Groups Who Ride Slow - Rant

Just voicing my frustrations

While out riding yesterday a came across several group riders riding very slow and holding up traffic...I'm not talking about "memorial runs" or anything of the sort, just groups of 6 to 12 bikes riding on some normal twisting roads 5 to 10 miles an hour slower than the posted speed limit...for goodness sakes, move over and let traffic by!! ...the vehicles I was behind let me pass them thinking I was part of those riding groups..I felt like a tool passing the motorcycle groups on a double yellow line but I couldn't take it anymore as they would not move over to let a "faster" rider go past them ...

I understand that not everyone is going to ride at a pace that I like to go through the twisties at...but If someone is riding faster than me, and it seems they want to pass me, I do move over and wave them by....Rant Done !!

The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (07-02-2024)
Old 09-12-2011, 11:10 AM
FUBAR55
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that was me in front of you.

Sorry

Old 09-12-2011, 11:23 AM
michaelm
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally would die of shame holding up car traffic on a motorcycle. Those groups are a pet peeve of mine too.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:23 AM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Groups ride at the pace of the worst rider. Not everyone has your advanced riding skills. Some are newer riders and are trying to master these skills.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:25 AM
mc1960
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If more people would understand what the sign actually means (speed LIMIT) the road would probably be a lot safer, 5 or 10 below makes for a nice relaxing ride, for those in a hurry they could have left sooner, but they would rather take you out while talking on their cell phone, putting on make up tailgaiting and working on their road rage. BTY stress is the #1 killer think about it. From the eyes of an EMT

Old 09-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Doug Bromley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear you I have to pass other riders all the time. I dont care if you like to ride slow but please move over to let me and others by. I have been behind couples ridding side by side super slow and they see me and wont move over. Thats kinda rude when your going way under the speed limit and wont let another rider by.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:41 AM
tweeter516
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't buy a motorcycle to ride slow.

I agree, I too have no problem with others riding at their own pace, but if your going below the speed limit move over. I need to be respectful of your desire to go slow and you need to be respectful of my desire to go fast.

DuciDay (07-02-2024)
Old 09-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Cinci-King
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you need to ride 5-10 mph below the speed limit to enjoy "the ride" then you probably need to take some serious rider training courses or just stick to riding in parades.

Holding up traffic that is trying to run at the speed limit for your on personal enjoyment is dangerous and in my mind selfish and a bit arrogant.

If you feel you need to ride slower.... that's fine, but why won't you move over in your lane and let me safely go by you ?

Your weak ego is not my problem and shouldn't hold me up!

DuciDay (07-02-2024)
Old 09-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by FUBAR55
I think that was me in front of you.

Sorry
Yeah I recognize you from your avatar

Old 09-12-2011, 11:48 AM
cigarowens
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Strange, I have only seen MINIMUM speeds posted on four Lane highways. The speed limit is actually just that; the MAXINUM limit. The lane is mine if you want to pass cross the double yellow line and go for it. Sure, it's polite but why should I be expected to change my riding speed or "wave you by"?

Quick Reply: Groups Who Ride Slow - Rant