General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Groups Who Ride Slow - Rant

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:46 PM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2black1s ..... Your answer for the quote from ord sgt is why i dont have a lot of time for people like you ...... Everyone finds their level eventually at their pace maybe you should have the road runner as your avatar .... MEEP! MEEP!

Old 09-12-2011, 12:46 PM
mnskip
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure if I understand by what some of you mean by moving over and let you pass.
I don't ride in big groups going slow, but if I did, I think it is up to a faster bike who comes up on us to pass at his own risk just like a car would. I would feel bad if I waved someone on in my lane and he/she caused an accident. I would not know there riding skills, nor he/she ours. I also would pass the slower individual in my group if it was causing a back up, and then pull over at the next safe area to stop and let the traffic through. All bets are off if it is a nice back country road, if you need to go fast find a highway. And no, I don't consider myself arrogant or selfish.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:50 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree and I've seen them. If you can't drive your motorcycle at least with the flow of traffic, it's time to park it.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
A good percentage of those who feel the need to take some motorcycle safety training course are probably the ones holding up the traffic. Think about it. Most motorcycle safety courses, from what I understand, have you riding through some cones in a parking lot at very low speeds. What's that going to do to speed you up on the road?
Ever taken one? They're a good way to build confidence in new and old riders alike in doing something that will translate to faster speeds in an environment where dropping the bike is more likely to cause much less damage to the bike and rider as well as teaching riding theory and how to stay visible and safe on the road.

I've taken one and I may be teaching them next spring as a way to make some cash and help some bike nubs. You'll generally not catch me going under the speed limit and when I'm on the sportbike, well what's a speed limit besides a way for states to make money?

Old 09-12-2011, 12:51 PM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior

Moving over means exactly what it says on the tin! ...

Old 09-12-2011, 01:00 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See what happens when you start ranting on a motorcycle forum e-gads

Nothing to see here............move on

Old 09-12-2011, 01:03 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can't maintain at least the posted speed limit then you need to get off that road till your skills and confidence are better. Having impatient people stack up behind a slow person puts everyone at risk. I don't like meeting traffic that is stacked behind a Sunday driver or group of Sunday riders.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Lardog666
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cinci-King
Holding up traffic that is trying to run at the speed limit for your on personal enjoyment is dangerous and in my mind selfish and a bit arrogant.

It can also get you an "Impeding Traffic" ticket in most states. The language in most state's statutes reads "Posted Speed" NOT "Speed Limit" for this reason.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:27 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,355 Likes on 2,534 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
If the worst rider in a group hasn't mastered the skills to ride safely and comfortably at or slightly above the speed limit, then that rider should stay home until they can.
huh? what practice on the xbox?

i don't have a problem with people who want to go slower than the limit. i just pass them when i can. thats what those little dashed lines on the road are for.

the people that i can't stand are the ones that cannot ride a steady speed. to fluctuate between 50-60 mph drives me nuts.

Originally Posted by Lardog666
It can also get you an "Impeding Traffic" ticket in most states. The language in most state's statutes reads "Posted Speed" NOT "Speed Limit" for this reason.
the problem is that even if the group was riding at the 'posted speed', y'all would still be arguing the same point

Last edited by skratch; 09-12-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:29 PM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior

Perhaps all those who think that riders should practice in their garage until their skill and confidence level's , and there are a few of you now should take an trip back down memory lane when you all first started to ride .... i bet you were worth watchin all the basic mistakes you made that even some of us still make me included today .... then again maybe you didn't and just become what you are today! .... MEEP! MEEP!

Quick Reply: Groups Who Ride Slow - Rant