General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Groups Who Ride Slow - Rant

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:49 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When it's safe to do so and i can i ALWAY'S move over ..... but nobody tells me what speed to go just cos their havin a Buzz Lightyear moment! ...

Old 09-12-2011, 11:53 AM
mc1960
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you need to ride 10/20 miles over the speed limit to enjoy your ride, maybe you will live long enough to learn to slow down and enjoy the sights and smells of the off the beaten path roads that I like to ride. But many that I have picked up beside the road haven't.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Cinci-King
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote=cigarowens;8808371] Strange, I have only seen MINIMUM speeds posted on four Lane highways. The speed limit is actually just that; the MAXINUM limit. The lane is mine if you want to pass cross the double yellow line and go for it. Sure, it's polite but why should I be expected to change my riding speed or "wave you by"?[/quote]

As I said, selfish and a bit arrogant.

The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (07-02-2024)
Old 09-12-2011, 12:20 PM
parkergeorge
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don’t care if you want to ride slow. That is your decision. I do ask that if you are going slower than others move over and let them pass. In California there are laws about impeding traffic. I can’t remember if it is 6 or 8 vehicles but you can get a ticket for impeding traffic if you pass a turnout with X number of vehicles behind you. Not sure if it’s just California but would assume there are other states that have similar laws. As I said I don’t care if you want to go slower than others. It’s your right to go that speed just like it’s my right to go my speed. Just be courteous of others and let them pass you if you are the slower vehicle.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

I don't sweat people who ride slow; I simply pass them.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:27 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by ord sgt
Groups ride at the pace of the worst rider. Not everyone has your advanced riding skills. Some are newer riders and are trying to master these skills.
If the worst rider in a group hasn't mastered the skills to ride safely and comfortably at or slightly above the speed limit, then that rider should stay home until they can.

Originally Posted by mc1960
If more people would understand what the sign actually means (speed LIMIT) the road would probably be a lot safer, 5 or 10 below makes for a nice relaxing ride, for those in a hurry they could have left sooner, but they would rather take you out while talking on their cell phone, putting on make up tailgaiting and working on their road rage. BTY stress is the #1 killer think about it. From the eyes of an EMT
5 - 10 MPH over may be relaxing. But 5 - 10 MPH under all day long is nothing but monotonous to me.

And it has nothing to do with being in a hurry to get somewhere. Riding at a brisk pace is simply way more enjoyable most of the time.

Originally Posted by Cinci-King
If you need to ride 5-10 mph below the speed limit to enjoy "the ride" then you probably need to take some serious rider training courses or just stick to riding in parades.

Holding up traffic that is trying to run at the speed limit for your on personal enjoyment is dangerous and in my mind selfish and a bit arrogant.

If you feel you need to ride slower.... that's fine, but why won't you move over in your lane and let me safely go by you ?

Your weak ego is not my problem and shouldn't hold me up!
A good percentage of those who feel the need to take some motorcycle safety training course are probably the ones holding up the traffic. Think about it. Most motorcycle safety courses, from what I understand, have you riding through some cones in a parking lot at very low speeds. What's that going to do to speed you up on the road?

Now taking a high performance riding class at some race track might do many riders some good.

Originally Posted by cigarowens
Strange, I have only seen MINIMUM speeds posted on four Lane highways. The speed limit is actually just that; the MAXINUM limit. The lane is mine if you want to pass cross the double yellow line and go for it. Sure, it's polite but why should I be expected to change my riding speed or "wave you by"?
The lane is NOT yours! In CA it's the law to move over and let faster traffic on by. Many two-lane roads have pull-offs just for that purpose. If you are travelling below the speed limit and there's a string of vehicles behind you, you're the one who's getting the ticket if you don't make a reasonable attempt to let them by.

DuciDay (07-02-2024)
Old 09-12-2011, 12:33 PM
FUBAR55
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Markymannn
Yeah I recognize you from your avatar

You Crack me up

Old 09-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Settle down,Francis!

Old 09-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by cigarowens
The lane is mine if you want to pass cross the double yellow line and go for it. Sure, it's polite but why should I be expected to change my riding speed or "wave you by"?
It's called courtesy and my mom and dad taught me that at a very early age. It has served me well for 70+ years now.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:44 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It doesn't matter if you are on a bike, in a car, or driving a truck. If you have 3 to 5 vehicles stacking up behind you, you need to move the HELL over!

DuciDay (07-02-2024)

Quick Reply: Groups Who Ride Slow - Rant