General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Groups Who Ride Slow - Rant

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:03 PM
dieselguy65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=98Ultra;8813193][QUOTE=SIDECAR BOB;8812152]
Originally Posted by Cinci-King

You are really that paranoid to allow a fellow rider to ease past you? If another rider comes up behind me and there is a lot of traffic coming the other way, I have no problem sliding to the right and allowing them to pass on my left, IN my lane. As long as I wave for them to pass, no problem. Now, if they just decide to fly by when I'm not ready, that's a different story all together.
not paranoid at all. just not willing to allow an unknown rider into that space. my bro inlaw, brothers or dad, or someone i ride with, yeah. these assclowns out on bikes today that think they can write a check, get some gear and herd a bike down the road, HELL NO! since there is no way to tell the difference until it is to late. I choose to not let it happen.
prety simple, and to me my life and safety is way more important than you getting to the next stopping place or red light 8.6 secs ahead of me.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:26 PM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
If you can't maintain at least the posted speed limit then you need to get off that road till your skills and confidence are better. Having impatient people stack up behind a slow person puts everyone at risk. I don't like meeting traffic that is stacked behind a Sunday driver or group of Sunday riders.
Living in Texas you know there are many, many places a bike cannot simply pull off the road safely for miles, there may or may not be a shoulder at all and it is often gravel at best. There are only minimum speed limits posted on interstates and some other multi-lane highways, none on two-lane roads that I know of in this state. That speed limit is just that, the maximum allowable speed under perfect weather and traffic conditions and thinking every single vehicle should be traveling at that exact speed all the time is foolish. You can legally pass any vehicle at any time in the passing zones so that is your remedy. You do not know why a vehicle is driving at a particular speed, it could be having mechanical problems and limping to the next town, or the driver may be looking for an obscure turn, or be a farm vehicle that cannot go any faster.

Your view is the slow driver is putting everyone at risk, another view is it is those who do number of illegal and unsafe traffic maneuvers because they are too impatient to wait a minute or two until they can safely pass. In the past year, twice I have been riding at or above the speed limit on two-lane roads and had a car pass me on the right shoulder. One of them was fishtailing and throwing gravel everywhere, but I suppose some here think I should have pulled off into that gravel just because somebody else wanted to drive faster than me. I just get amused though, as they never get more than a car or two ahead of me.

I am one of the most courteous drivers around and definitely not a slow-poke, but I will not put myself at risk simply because you are impatient. Wait for the passing zone and pass my ***, its simple. If there is too much traffic to do that safely, your not going anywhere anyway.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:41 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

[quote=dieselguy65;8815748][quote=98Ultra;8813193]
Originally Posted by SIDECAR BOB

not paranoid at all. just not willing to allow an unknown rider into that space. my bro inlaw, brothers or dad, or someone i ride with, yeah. these assclowns out on bikes today that think they can write a check, get some gear and herd a bike down the road, HELL NO! since there is no way to tell the difference until it is to late. I choose to not let it happen.
prety simple, and to me my life and safety is way more important than you getting to the next stopping place or red light 8.6 secs ahead of me.
I don't think you really have much choice in that matter if someone really wants to get around you. What are you going to do? Weave from left to right within the lane?

And since you are so safety concious, don't you think that any attempt you make to block someone from passing is actually putting you in a more precarious position than simply letting them by?

You're attitude on this subject is dangerous.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:03 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

Anyone going slower than me is an idiot. Anyone going faster than me is an ahole.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:07 AM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I rode in groups during my patch days with no issues but we all where competent and knew what we were doing at any speed , there where all a LOT fewer nimrods out playing at biker then too .

Fast forward some years I won't get anywhere near a group of 4 anymore because at least one of them is going to be a clueless idiot with no business on a bike much less trying to look the part .

I come up on a group I'll pick the time but I'm putting them behind me , seen group clusterfucs take down a number of people before and then have cars run into the pile to boot . I will not participate in somebody elses death wish by trailing a pack you know has new riders in it , they all do today .
new riders that want to learn need to be taught. if we all snub them off there will be more asshats riding bikes. anyone who wants to learn is a good sign, right? i know i didn't just throw my leg on a bike the first time and knew what i was doing from the get go. then again, some of us were not meant to be teachers...lol.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:53 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_mama
new riders that want to learn need to be taught. if we all snub them off there will be more asshats riding bikes. anyone who wants to learn is a good sign, right? i know i didn't just throw my leg on a bike the first time and knew what i was doing from the get go. then again, some of us were not meant to be teachers...lol.
You've got a good heart and decent attitude , had both of once still do on occasion but dealing with the masses of people who won't or couldn't take friendly advice and some tips that would have saved a few of them just beat it out me over time . That and watching the instant biker in a box unfold within a few weeks of buying a harley .

Wish more people did want to learn maybe I then wouldn't have been to so many funerals involving bikes and inexperienced riders , takes the heart out you of after a while .

Old 09-14-2011, 02:06 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Cinci-King
If you need to ride 5-10 mph below the speed limit to enjoy "the ride" then you probably need to take some serious rider training courses or just stick to riding in parades.

Holding up traffic that is trying to run at the speed limit for your on personal enjoyment is dangerous and in my mind selfish and a bit arrogant.

If you feel you need to ride slower.... that's fine, but why won't you move over in your lane and let me safely go by you ?

Your weak ego is not my problem and shouldn't hold me up!
I believe the above statement is, in your own words "selfish and a bit arrogant."

Old 09-14-2011, 04:56 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mc1960
If more people would understand what the sign actually means (speed LIMIT) the road would probably be a lot safer,
Riding 10 under the limit can create a condition just as dangerous as riding 10 over.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:04 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 391 Likes on 231 Posts
Default 5 pages

I read 5 of the 10 pages and it's too slow for me to keep reading, so i want to pass to the head of the line. I just click on reply and here I am. Well it's not that easy if you come up on a group of bikes riding staggered and without passing them all at once, how do you pass some and slide into their group?? Not wise to do that. Ususally some cars will be behind the bikes which adds to the problem.

So if you can't find a space long enough to pass them all, and it's not safe, smart, wise, to pass some and squeeze into their formation, then other than following them for miles and miles, they can see the parade of vehicles following and should open up their ranks to allow vehicles to take pass smaller groups or speed it up.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:35 AM
Cinci-King
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dieselguy65,

If you're going to quote me, at least use my words.....!

Last edited by Cinci-King; 09-14-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Groups Who Ride Slow - Rant