General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID HEADLIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HID HEADLIGHT

ORIGINAL: 04harleyboy

I just went up to the dealer and got the one they had there, it wasn't the Kuryakyn, but it is an HID ($25). Yes it is brighter, hard to say how much, I could see fine with the old bulb, I was looking to get a bulb that would get me noticed more (by the cages) when I drove at night. But I can tell you this, there is a huge difference when I hit the high beam!
I'm sure they do make them for the 02 Lowrider as well, I had one in my 04 Dyna Superglide Sport.
As far as the install, its the same as changing a burned out bulb. The key thing is to not touch the glass portion of the bulb, the oil from your hands will cause the bulb to fail prematurely.

It appears that you have been "snookered" by that common advertising scam to call every light bulb known to man as a "H.I.D."...

HID stands for: High Intensity Discharge. Its a gas filled bulb that takes thousands of volts from a ballast transformer unit to get the thing to work.

They don't ever cost $25.oo, not even on a good day or a sale.

You must have purchase an "H-4" bulb that someone selling it says its "like" an HID. But its NOT and HID!

Sorry, you would most likely been better off just getting a Sylvinia SilverStar for that money and have a Real bright bulb, better then stock. Or use the link above to the H-D site and get the actual, H-D HID system.

I've done so and love it.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:45 PM
pjweber
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ram

ORIGINAL: 04harleyboy

I just went up to the dealer and got the one they had there, it wasn't the Kuryakyn, but it is an HID ($25). Yes it is brighter, hard to say how much, I could see fine with the old bulb, I was looking to get a bulb that would get me noticed more (by the cages) when I drove at night. But I can tell you this, there is a huge difference when I hit the high beam!
I'm sure they do make them for the 02 Lowrider as well, I had one in my 04 Dyna Superglide Sport.
As far as the install, its the same as changing a burned out bulb. The key thing is to not touch the glass portion of the bulb, the oil from your hands will cause the bulb to fail prematurely.

It appears that you have been "snookered" by that common advertising scam to call every light bulb known to man as a "H.I.D."...

HID stands for: High Intensity Discharge. Its a gas filled bulb that takes thousands of volts from a ballast transformer unit to get the thing to work.

You must have purchase an "H-4" bulb that someone selling it says its "like" an HID. But its NOT and HID!

Sorry, you would most likely been better off just getting a Sylvinia SilverStar for that money and have a Real bright bulb, better then stock. Or use the link above to the H-D site and get the actual, H-D HID system.

I just changed to the Sylvinia Silver Star, cost me $20 and it is much brighter than the stock bulb.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:55 PM
Tin Gizel
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ram Date 11/20/2006 4:38:47 PM

Ditto all of that......

I work for an electrical contractor and we do lots of HID site lighting. Not the same as Auto HID but same principal and true HID is "High In Dollars" But the lumen output for same given wattage compared to incadescent is amazing.

I'm thinking about going with the $500 kit as well.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:54 PM
Maniac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I upgraded to the Sylvania Silverstar and it helped a little but not much. I wanted to go with HID but the only manufacturer that I can find is Kuryakyn. While they make a great kit for bikes with the 5 3/4" headlights, the ones that they make for the 7" FL front ends are the projector type which in my opinion looks rediculous on a big ol' headlight housing.

5 3/4" Headlights

7" Headlights

Does anyone know of any other manufacturers that make the HID kits for 7” FL style headlight housings?

Old 11-20-2006, 07:59 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stand corrected, the bulb I got is not the HID like you are talking about. The one I have now is fine for me at this time. I have other things I will use the $500 for. Good luck with that kit, I'm sure you will enjoy it when you get it.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Ipurchased a kit like this:
http://www.hid-sin.com/mc5000k.htm
For 300 I had a kit for 2 bikes.

I simply placed the ballast on a plate under my triple tree (where I have my DOD sticker)

There is a dramatic difference in visibility. The only thing I lost was HI/LOW you can get it for 350. I still placed passing lamps which
I angled to cover more of the shoulders.

You just have to drill a small hole to run the cable though the headlight bucket from the ballast.
I would suggest having a toggle to allow for the bike to start with the headlight OFF. They due most setup draw 35 amps on ignition then drop below 5 amps

Old 11-20-2006, 10:54 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

HID lighting is a 'system'- not merely a bulb. there are ballasts and completely different wiring systems.... its MUCH different then simply installing a blue-tinted 90W/100W H4 bulb.

i have the HID's on my car (Acura TL-Type S) and i can honestly say that they should be standard on ALL cars/motorcycles. the lighting areas are bright, crisp and much more defined than standard headlights.

if i didnt still owe on the RK, id install the HID.