General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Pants with armor

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:03 PM
mc1960
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knee is feeling better, getting some mobility back today, got the estimate to fix the Ultra Classic, over 6400, this for a less than 10 mph crash, kid told police he stopped but did not see me, go figure. Don't know if the bike will be fixed in time for our October trip to Tennessee, may have to rent a bike once we get up there. Thanks for all of the replys, havent made my mind up yet but I think I will cover these old 51 year old knees up, so please keep them coming.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:08 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Suspenders are more comfortable than a belt to hold up over pants, especially if you have a bit of a gut. Easy to add yourself after you get the pants.

Venting is really important if you are going to wear them in summer over shorts or just your skives - will be cooler than jeans with vents open. Pants without vents will be useless in hot weather.

If the zip in wind/water barrier has a breathable membrane (usually a GorTex clone) they will be more comfortable than pants with a rubberized or vinyl coated liner.

Most pants have an 8 inch zipper at the back to zip to the inside of your jacket. Keeps your jacket form riding up or your pants from pulling down in a crash. It's easy to get a seamstress to sew the mating half of the zipper to your jacket or pants.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,867 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
Yes, I often wear them under regular jeans. They have both knee and hip armor, and no one can tell you're wearing them. They make two varieties, one mesh and one stretchy stuff; I wear the non-mesh variety. My only complaint is that they're not made with a fly, so taking a leak gets to be more of a pain than it ought to be.
I have the Bohn armored pants and shirt (both mesh), and both are designed to be worn under your jeans and jacket.

To me, they are both hot, with the pants being the more uncomfortable of the two. Great CE armor pads in the pants (knee/shin, hip/thigh, and tailbone), but they tend to sag/stretch down after a short time in riding position. Also, the tail bone pad was unbearably uncomfortable for me, and I had to remove it.

I'll confirm what Old Bold Pilot said about taking a leak. You have to drop your jeans and Bohn mesh down to your knees to clear everything out of the way. Looks pretty funny standing at the pisser with your jeans around your ankles, and the mesh pants at your knees.

The shirt is more comfortable with some sort of long sleeved t-shirt under the mesh, and is just easier to deal with than the pants. Again, nice CE armor at the elbow/forearm, shoulders, and back.

Bottom line, I don't wear either very much. In hot weather, I don't wear them at all. I've got to find a better option out there.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:37 AM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motoport. Check em out. Love mine.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:48 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,199 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Glad to see you are feeling better!

I wear kevlar jeans and a mesh armored jacket. Went down at 65 last summer and slid along the interstate for close to 200 feet. No road rash.

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-14-2011, 07:43 AM
mc1960
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been looking at the motorport overpants, Ultra ll kevlar and air mesh kevlar, anyone have any experiance with these?

Old 09-15-2011, 01:10 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by mc1960
Been looking at the motorport overpants, Ultra ll kevlar and air mesh kevlar, anyone have any experiance with these?
Check www.advrider.com for reviews.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:29 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Beware of ADV...if they figure out you have an HD....aw never mind....hahahaha

Actually the best site for gear ******...IMO

Old 09-15-2011, 08:13 PM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motoport Ultra pants- a bit bulky but comfortable. Never ride without them.
But thats just me.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:28 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In upstate NY, it's now going down to 50 or so for my early morning commute... which means it's time to throw a few pairs of pants into my desk at work and start wearing these on the commute in. Excellent quality. Seriously, worth every penny because I have had them for three years and expect them to last another decade:

http://www.revzilla.com/product/revit-cayenne-pro-pants

It KILLS me that they are made in china though...

Quick Reply: Riding Pants with armor