General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Cooled vs. Air Cooled

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 12:06 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

I predict Harley will opt for oil cooling vs water cooling, just so they won't loose future and existing customers. It would be easier on touring models with lowers, to place the coolers with temp operated fans to assist when stopped or slow moving causes temps to rise. When I say easier, I mean not as noticeable. I'm not talking about the standard oil coolers they have now, but two that could hold and extra three qts of oil. The key is to regulate the engine temp in all types of riding situations, that way it would be easier to meet the EPA'S regulations.,,

Old 09-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fastjoe
Actually the comparisons I read were with other V-twin cruiser style motorcycles, mostly water cooled metrics. There was an air cooled Yamaha in the group though. About the only place the Harley came out ahead was on fuel mileage.

I won't argue that a water cooled engine should last longer than an air cooled one, and make more power. I was just disagreeing with the OP's fuel mileage theory.
I still maintain that the fuel mileage difference is down to gearing or simple production variances among bikes, not to cooling method. For example, in this comparison, the 883 Sportster got the worst mileage of the group.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:49 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only to yours and a few others ears. Even with free flowing exhaust they sound like a souped up lawn mower to me and that air box looks like a turtle shell on top of that frame. I think the revolution engine would do better on the baggers--------but then they would be a Harley version of a Honda Goldwing. Harley depends on differences of opinions when it comes to model choice. Glad there are people that like the v-rod---at least when I see one I know it is a Harley.
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Even stock air-cooled sound like crap with the stock exhaust. V-rods with a nice exhaust sound awesome

Old 09-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Doesn't bother me one way or the other. I am keeping my EVO. One reason Harley went to alloy cyl. from the Shovel iron, was the more equal expansion rate. They can be fit up much closer and still not be to tight when hot. I would be happy if they just put EVO's in the new bikes with carbs. If you have never ridden one you just cannot know how great they are.

Attached Thumbnails Water Cooled vs. Air Cooled-hd-softail-custom-2.jpg  
Old 09-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Martimus
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harleybass
Companies like S&S turn out fine motors every day. With the aftermarket motor and tranny business at the level it is today, really not much reason to buy a new one anyhow. I've rebuilt several bikes in the past, they all came out better than they were factory new. This was done at a time when aftermarket, bolt-up motors and transmissions were not available. The fact that you have these companies like S&S, Baker, Revtech and many more, make the rebuilders job easier.

I'm not trying to suggest any solutions or answers for you or anybody else. You watercooled guys can do what you want! I'm stating the fact, that I will never own a water cooled Harley Davidson.

I have a real problem imagining why any long time or "hardcore" Harley rider would even want to consider water cooled Harleys. There are too many other options out there. If the MoCo decides to watercool, they are not going to consult with me, so that takes it pretty much out of my hands, other than to say "I'll never buy one of them", yes I'll still ride a Harley, and will as long as I can swing my leg over one!
Yea I'm familiar with S & S... and would love to have a bike that was powered by an S & S X-Wedge. That said I still think I'd go liquid cooled before I'd buy anything from someone named Teutel...

In all seriousness I've been thinking more about starting to save money to purchase a build-your-own chopper kit. While I have no skill or experience doing metalwork or motorcycle mechanics, I think it would be a cool project. That said I may just check out a motorcycle junkyard one of these days and try to pick up an old Harley motor to give me some rebuilding experience on something other than my Heritage.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:53 PM
DEGRider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned and enjoyed great performance from my water cooled and shaft drive. The last being a 109ci 1783 cc motor at 852lb. The torqe was awsome and hp was overwhelming. I switched to HD for the touring setup they offer knowing that style and comfort was the goal. I would strongly concider a water cooled HD tour bike even at 96ci like I have now, let alone 103ci or bigger. The faithful to HD traditional ways is fine but has its drawbacks from what many have posted during the year or so that I have been on HD forums. The style and comfort should not change just because of a radiator that allows cooler rideing comfort and engine performance. My 2cents.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:04 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,406 Likes on 2,029 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
Doesn't bother me one way or the other. I am keeping my EVO. One reason Harley went to alloy cyl. from the Shovel iron, was the more equal expansion rate. They can be fit up much closer and still not be to tight when hot. I would be happy if they just put EVO's in the new bikes with carbs. If you have never ridden one you just cannot know how great they are.
Nothing gainst the EVO's but I own 3 types. Shovel.Evo,and TC96 and the TC is by far the best of the 3. But just to make things clear I will say I still love all of them.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know what, everyone assumes HD won't be able to keep up with the emissions unless they go water cooled. Here's a thought though, Obama just told the EPA to drop regulations they were going to implement. Who's to say that sometime soon the trend won't start back the other way and emissions standards will be loosened a bit?

In all honesty, they're far too strict now. We're not killing the environment, we're only killing jobs and people with unsafe cars mandated by ever higher emissions standards.

Just sayin'.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:41 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft

i agree 100% jim!

Old 09-11-2011, 08:30 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Had a 2000 Honda Valkyrie Interstate that was water cooled and shaft-driven. For those who say water cooled is one more system to break, I'd say your right but they generally don't break. I never had an issue in the 11 years I owned it. Most guys I know with water cooled bikes don't have problems with the cooling systems.

Having said that, my Honda didn't seem to be a whole lot cooler than my Harley in heavy traffic. And what the Harley does give up in heat, it more than makes up for in ease of maneuverability, great looks, and just plain fun.

Also, I don't see where the cooling system effects the sound as I read in some of the posts. A lot of water cooled bikes with after market pipes sound okay. But I wouldn't buy one because you just get the feeling that they are trying to get that Harley sound. If the Harley sound is what you're going for, just buy a Harley. That's what I did.

Quick Reply: Water Cooled vs. Air Cooled