General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Cooled vs. Air Cooled

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 02:24 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unknown if the values of air cooled bikes will go up/down in a water cooled environment....

That would matter to an owner who has a bike for $$$$value/resale and not transportation/leisure? Time will answer that question!

Old 09-10-2011, 02:30 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by fastjoe
I'd say your theories are flawed. In most of the motorcycle comparisons I've read, fuel mileage is the one place Harley usually outperforms the water cooled metrics.
The OP has some valid points. Reliably and longevity are also greater with water cooled engines assuming other factors are the same. Fuel efficiency is dependent on a number of factors besides just cooling method. Direct injection is a newer engine technology that could greatly improve fuel economy.

My guess is some older air cooled Harleys may take on a classic status if they are no longer manufactured, like older Honda CB750s and become highly prized collector bikes.

The EPA or any other regulatory body cannot mandate a specific type of engine. They can only set efficiency guidelines, however these guidelines may be too big a hurdle for some engine designs like HD's older air cooled engines that are based on an design that has not evolved much from the 1950's. Eventually they will go the way of the big, slow revving, push rod V8s from Detroit. On the other hand car manufacturers are now building much smaller, lighter, more efficient, cleaner, engines that can easily produce more power than the old V8s. Such is progress.

Last edited by fat_tony; 09-10-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:50 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Paniolo
If Harley makes a water cooled engine for a bagger, and if they get it right, I'll buy one. Just not the first or second year model, but maybe a third year. I'd like to see how well they last and perform in the long run and wait for the after market to catch up.
+1, I haven't seen anybody get something right the first time when changing technology, let them get the bugs out first. And I will still keep one of the air cooled.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Martimus
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harleybass
Been ridin Harleys for most of 40 years, you'll never see a water cooled one in my garage!

If you want a water cooled bike get a Honda or Skuszusie!

The value of the air cooled will not go up, there's too many companys still making air cooled V Twins.

Just my $ .02
For me, I can't afford an Indian and would never be caught in public on a Victory or Can-Am. And we won't even mention the metric cruisers! I guess I'd have to consider smaller manufacturers.

On second thought... If I had to make a choice between a water cooled Harley and an air cooled V-Twin from a company like Orange County Choppers, I think I'd take my chances with the water cooled Harley!

Old 09-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Trey Hogger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Revolution doesn't have the same degree cylinder design as the air
cooled engines. It doesn't even come close to the potato-potato exhaust wave of all the other HD two cylinder air cooled engines. The revolution sounds like a prius------------which sounds like a lawn mower.
Hey, don't insult my lawnmower!

Old 09-10-2011, 04:10 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Wrong. In my opinion, I know someone who has a shovelhead that sounds like a Harley should. Definitely has that potato sound. My Evo sounds like a Harley with the potato sounds even though my pipes aren't very loud. My Twin cam with the changed out cams doesn't sound at all potato like. Even a prius can be loud but it doesn't sound like a Harley should. If you like the v-rods that is okay--we let them ride with us also.
Originally Posted by Keithhu
We havent had anything close to potato-potato since 1965 when they stopped making the pan head.

I've heard plenty of loud, lopey liquid cooled bikes.

Last edited by oldairboater; 09-10-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,986 Likes on 4,177 Posts

Harley already make a water cooled bike. V-Rod. If you stick to apple verse apple, same exact weight and motor size and only difference is water cooled with thermostatic control, the water cooled one would win out in less pollution and better gas mileage (at least on paper--seat of paints would be little difference. However the radiator on the front of a Harley would just look like a radiator. Hence why you really do not see a lot of V-rods in comparison to your typical air cooled Harley. You also must remember most water cooled bikes is limited to the head only. In a lot of ways it is still pretty primitive.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-10-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,602 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Wrong. In my opinion, I know someone who has a shovelhead that sounds like a Harley should. Definitely has that potato sound. My Evo sounds like a Harley with the potato sounds even though my pipes aren't very loud. My Twin cam with the changed out cams doesn't sound at all potato like. Even a prius can be loud but it doesn't sound like a Harley should. If you like the v-rods that is okay--we let them ride with us also.
I've yet to hear an Evo with the potato sound unless its idling dangerously (unwisely) low, so you've got me there, its been 27 years since potatoes. Seems like just yesterday....

But my point is, if they made a liquid cooled pan head (or shovel head, in your vivid imagination), it would have the potato sound.

Last edited by Keithhu; 09-10-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:19 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

wrong. evo and def.shovels have the potato sound anyone will tell you that! i think the moco lost some od the potato in 1999 (twincam) and most all of the potato in 2007 with the efi twincam. with water cooling id buy one, but ill always have my carbed evo around!

Old 09-10-2011, 05:34 PM
psyco1
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone KNOWS that nothing has sounded like a Harley since they dropped the total loss oiling system.

Quick Reply: Water Cooled vs. Air Cooled