General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to wear when its cold??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011 | 09:23 PM
rsarno
|
Road Master
Default What to wear when its cold??

Just bought my scooter this past june, so this is all new to me. Forgive the stupid question

It's 60 degrees here and i feel like its FRIGID on my bike! It might as well be 20 degrees out heh.

So i stopped at a dealer (McDermotts in Lake George, NY) and saw their selection of coats/jackets. It seems like the only ones that are warm, are extremely heavy.

Is this the case? Ill be freezing unless i wear a 50lb coat? Or are there lighter ones which offer sufficient insulation/protection?

Also are these heavy coats also fine in rain? I cant imagine my rain gear fitting over one of them.

Again, stupid question .. sorry about that. I just dont want to stop riding, and it looks like im running out of summer days

If i play my cards right i can get another 2-3 months

Old 09-07-2011 | 09:27 PM
hogginit
Road Captain

Think layers. Good leather jacket to prevent wind chill and sweatshirt that can be removed if too warm.

Old 09-07-2011 | 09:28 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

Heated gear. You can ride down to zero if you want to. By the way it was 104 here today. I'll be riding through the next 18 months or so.

Old 09-07-2011 | 09:29 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

When it gets cold you want a heavy leather jacket. The FXRG line from Harley is nice but also check out the jackets from Fox Creek. I have a couple and great quality.

A quality rain suit will fit over your leather jacket.

When it gets COLD it's time to break out the FF helmet and heated gear. I have the HD heated jacket liner, heated gloves and dual temp controller.

Old 09-07-2011 | 09:29 PM
KSRoadKing
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by hogginit
Think layers. Good leather jacket to prevent wind chill and sweatshirt that can be removed if too warm.
Agreed. Also some chaps would help for the legs.

Old 09-07-2011 | 09:31 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

I wear poly prop long underwear under my jeans with my heated gear and works great. Same stuff I use for skiing.

Old 09-07-2011 | 09:31 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member

Layering works the best for me.

When it's cold, a good heavy sweatshirt under a good quality heavy-weight leather jacket works the best. Chaps also help. Nothing blocks the wind better than leather, IMO.

Expirement with different base layers. You'll find some things work better than others.

Old 09-07-2011 | 09:39 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

I have a heavy leather jacket and chaps.

If I had it to do over I would find a good pair of textile riding pants and jacket that are waterproof. Will cost as much as leather but you can use them both for rain gear and winter riding. Also explore armour inserts. Thats my opinion. Many things to choose from. Read and learn as much as you can and then make your decision.

Last edited by Nellybelle; 09-07-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-07-2011 | 09:53 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

In cool weather I ride in a Aerostich Roadcrafter 1-piece suit. Easy on and easy off, keeps the wind and rain off, Goretex, and made right here in America. Not cheap, but a good value. When it gets even cooler I slip on my Gerbing heated jacket liner. Harley markets them under their own name also.

Old 09-07-2011 | 10:06 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Heated, grips, liners and gloves. There is no substitute. Wear water proof textile over that. You'll be good down to twenty degrees.

Quick Reply: What to wear when its cold??