General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to wear when its cold??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011 | 08:53 PM
knewt5
Road Master

The FXRG is a great Jacket but I bought this for half the price at Leatherup.com ( http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Moto...ket/93296.html ) It is a very high quality jacket and if you watch their sales you can do well (I paid $200 delivered).

I have Deerskin Gauntlets and wear leather chaps and a fleece shirt with a tall neck. I am thinking about heated gear (Jacket and gloves) to get deeper into the season. I rode in New England till Dec 1 last year but there were some prettry rugged rides in there.

The other piece of gear I wouldn't leave home without is a fleece neck gaiter. I have carolina Logger boots which are goretex and thinsulated.

Also, the bike you ride makes a diffference. I have a Street Glide, so the fairing and lowers block alot of wind

Old 09-08-2011 | 08:59 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

Forget that crap. Pack up & move to Florida.

Old 09-08-2011 | 10:18 PM
Silverslider
Tourer

I got a street glide with lowers so I am pretty much protected from the wind. If it gets too cold I do the layers. I have a set of under armor cold gear. I wear it under my jeans and riding jacket and am toasty warm. The stuff is great. Its super thin and very warm. I top it off with under armor gloves and a neck gator and I am good to go all day.
A lot depends on your tolerance for cold. It doesn't bother me much. Even if I'm not riding I don't usually put a coat on unless its in the 30s. People freak out when they see me in shorts and sandals in the winter. It does get old with people always asking me "aren't you cold?"

Old 09-08-2011 | 10:53 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member

Leather coat will block the most win and yes heavier ones are better. Buy big enough to layer up and having a hood stick out just causes a draft so I use a fleece that is hoodless.
Chaps are a nice add on.
Leather gauntlet gloves with insulation are a must too and you can even go to an army surplus store and get wool liners to wear in the leather gloves.
Fleece Baclava is keeps the face warm.
45* when I left for school yesterday and today.

Old 09-09-2011 | 07:33 PM
psyco1
Road Master
Old 09-09-2011 | 08:32 PM
rafael53
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rsarno
It's 60 degrees here and i feel like its FRIGID on my bike!
Man that's pefect riding weather I think. Been in the 60s in the morning on my way to work the past few days...feels great. I just wear a light jacket or sweat shirt for those temps.

Originally Posted by rsarno
So i stopped at a dealer (McDermotts in Lake George, NY) and saw their selection of coats/jackets.
Down here we got a few places that just deal with leathers and such..... jackets, saddle bags ,helmets, boots, etc. I'd check around your hood and see if you got some. I'd stay out of the dealer to buy close.

When it gets in the high 20 or low 30s I break out the carhart biball and leather jacket. It warms up pretty quick during the day down here and I don't want to be peeling a lot of close off like long johns and such. Carharts work great for me....I only need them in the morning anyhow.

Tried them silly chaps once and didn't do squat for me. So can't comment much on them since I don't have any nor will. Like I said I don't find any use for them.

No heated gear either. Down here it's just a few weeks of cold so not worth the investment to me otherwise might get some heated gloves. That's about the only part of me that starts to get cold before getting to where I'm going. I'm talking temps in the 30s and 40s.

Old 09-09-2011 | 08:48 PM
anickel
Road Captain

Your cold and mine are very different. I ride to temps get down to freezing and I have to worry about ice. Usually at this temp for my 20mile commute I wear long underwear top and bottom, hvy jeans, maybe chaps, t-shirt, sweatshirt, Hvy lthr jacket w/linner. Your jacket is your second skin, dont buy light weight, buy rain gear that fits over your jacket. Also a pair of lthr gauntlet gloves w/thinsulate. At 60 degrees just my work clothes and lthr jacket.

Old 09-10-2011 | 11:29 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

I have a Fox Creek Leather Jacket and a First Gear Kilamanjaro Textile Jacket. Both work extremely well, and I can't say enough good things about the Fox Creek Jacket . . . however . . . if you want water proof the First Gear does extremely well. I've ridden in steady rain for hours and hours and not had a drop of water get past it. Also the jacket will dry completely in a few hours where as a leather jacket can take quite a while longer. Either of these are good for me down to about 50 F. With layers I can go down to the high 30's low 40's, but I also have heated grips on the bike and that makes a huge difference. I've also heard a lot of good things about the Gerbings Heated Gear and may try that m'self this winter.

Old 09-10-2011 | 01:01 PM
scoteh
Club Member

Snowmobile gear when it's real cold. Doesn't have to cost much and will keep you toasty warm. Ski clothing works well, also. People way overpay for warm clothing.

Old 09-10-2011 | 01:36 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Let's define cold first.

60's is not cold. When it's in the 60's, it's half helmet, light jacket, very light gloves, jeans and boots.

50's is a little cooler. Here, I change to a 3/4 helmet with shield, leather jacket and gloves, jeans with chaps, and boots.

40's is getting there. Still running the 3/4, leather jacket, gauntlet insulated gloves, jeans and chaps, and boots. Polypropolene underwear depending on how well you take the cold.

30's and lower is cold. Still running the 3/4 (may get a Full Face for it), a polypropolene balaclava under the helmet, leather jacket, jeans and chaps, polypro shirt and pants under outer garments, and boots.

If you still want to ride when it's below zero, I suggest everything above, + a snowmobile suit.

Quick Reply: What to wear when its cold??