General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane booster

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:05 PM
thealien
Road Captain
Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
My 2000 road glide has over 100,000 miles and was a bit tired so when I rebuilt it I went 117 inch (seemed logical at the time). One downside is my gas mileage has suffered and I only get about 33 MPG now which decreased my range below what I feel is acceptable. On trips I used to keep 2 of those 1 liter MSR fuel bottles but feel that is not enough. A month ago I bout one of those Reda 1 gallon cans and so far I am pleased. I have not noticed any odors at all. Takes up only a little space in the odd shaped back of the saddlebag. It has a sealing pour spout that takes a little getting used to but it helps prevent spilling on your gas tank.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:14 PM
isellem
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used the HD stuff and it seems to work...I can't say I've ever purchased gas out of a drum in the back of a pickup! That's crazy!

I would hate to carry gas...spill a thimble full and you smell like you've bathed in the stuff. Might have to get used to people thinking I take really expensive showers!

Old 09-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Squirrel67
Cruiser

Sounds like a good reason to find a good ole evo. They run fine on 87. And if you like super glide's you will be right at home on a FXR.

Last edited by Squirrel67; 09-06-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:46 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I have run my 10 Ultra all over the US and Canada with 87 octane and 85 when I was in the mountains. Started great ran great (50 mpg) and never a ping. I do have an oil cooler and run 12.1 to 1 AFR.

EPA requires that all gasoline fueled vehicles sold in the US be able to run on 87 octane.

Read your owners manual. HD advises against octane boosters.

If you have cams and higher than stock compression then you do need higher octane.

HD's SE booster is most likely just alcohol.

If you are stock and knocking there is two possibilities: lugging the motor or a carbon job is needed.

Last edited by lh4x4; 09-06-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:02 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
A 1 gallon gas can for $34.95, when the average 5 gallon can is about 8 bux?

Must be an Oficially Licensed Product.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Romark
Road Master

I wouldn't worry about it. Keep the RPM's up and dont "dog" it and you will be fine. Mine has had 87 in it for quite some time. I can make the engine ping by hitting it with a quick load but if I ride it normally I don't notice a difference.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

marcortez, something to keep in mind is that the mexican gas doesn't have the additives that we have in the states. Riding Baja on the dirt bikes was an interesting deal. If you talk to anybody that rode the Yamaha 400 to 450 four stroke they would tell you that their bikes run better on Baja gas than CA gas. Even my Honda 650R would notice the difference in power when using Baja premium. And when we would fill up in places like Catavina from the large drums it was regular fuel. But the bikes would run just as well or better than they would with CA premium.

If you find places that don't have premium just don't hit the throttle too hard and you should be fine. There are a lot of stations that have premium so you should make sure and stop at them even if you only need a gallon or two to fill up. My buddy who had ridden Baja for decades always said when you can get gas, get it.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:45 PM
marcortez
Tourer

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
marcortez, something to keep in mind is that the mexican gas doesn't have the additives that we have in the states. Riding Baja on the dirt bikes was an interesting deal. If you talk to anybody that rode the Yamaha 400 to 450 four stroke they would tell you that their bikes run better on Baja gas than CA gas. Even my Honda 650R would notice the difference in power when using Baja premium. And when we would fill up in places like Catavina from the large drums it was regular fuel. But the bikes would run just as well or better than they would with CA premium.

If you find places that don't have premium just don't hit the throttle too hard and you should be fine. There are a lot of stations that have premium so you should make sure and stop at them even if you only need a gallon or two to fill up. My buddy who had ridden Baja for decades always said when you can get gas, get it.
Great advice here.

I have lived down here for 10 years and have plied that Mex 1 highway more times than I care to count.
But all done in a diesel pickup....and with enough range to avoid the "beat up Toyota" stations at Catavina and the Bahia de Los Angeles turnoff.

The next time I come south will be aboard the new scooter and I am not really looking forward to it.
As you well know....the highway is DEEP into rural MX and help could be a long time coming.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:49 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd probably run that small stretch with 87 octane and run octane boost.

On trips my Dad and I carry Lucas "racing" octane boost available at oreilly's auto part stores. Helps a lot then less than premium is available.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:48 PM
thealien
Road Captain
Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
A 1 gallon gas can for $34.95, when the average 5 gallon can is about 8 bux?

Must be an Oficially Licensed Product.
Supply and demand. How many 5 gallon cans get sold? How many of these can they expect to sell (I expect many will feel like you)? It fits our saddlebags well and I have found no odor at all even with the bike sitting in the sun for a couple of days. It is a niche product that I am glad someone is making but I do a lot of long trips?

Quick Reply: Octane booster