General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where in the States does an Atlantic Canadian score a good used Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:50 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by poisonthesteve
If you want peace of mind, I wouls suggest the dealership. They offer a warranty on used bikes. I picked up a 2 year warranty on my Sportster for like 500 bucks
Warranties aren't all created equal and some would require you to deal with a specific service location. A bike with problems, no matter who sells it, is going to create issues for some one in another country and maybe a couple of hundred miles away. The main reason dealers command the prices they do for used bikes is because they have better access to financing. It can take awhile to find but there are deals to be had as a private sale. The key is knowing what is or isn't a deal and being prepared to act ASAP when the right bike comes along. Good luck with your search.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:00 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

If you are buying remotely by phone and won't be dealing face to face only deal with a dealer of some kind. Try EBay. Check out www.uship.com for shipping or u can rent a motorcycle trailer cheap from uhaul. You will also need to fax the title to a US customs office 72 hours or more before you leave the US with the bike - they don't allow exceptions - otherwise you will be forced to wait at the border before leaving. Make sure you have a bill of sale and the title certificate. Payment from a Canadian bank may also take a few days to process. Other than that the whole process is easy. See www.riv.ca

Bigger centers like Boston and NY usually have better prices.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Dave
Wow, Talk about a stereotype!!!! I have lived in the south for my whole life and I have never been flooded. The Mid-west floods out way more than down here with the exception of Louisiana. I can not think of one single instance where I have heard of anybodys bike getting flooded.

To the OP. What kind of bike are you looking for? Prices tend to be cheaper in the Northeast than in the South because we are not so seasonal with our riding time.
It is for sure a generalized statement (I am sure there are lost of good used bikes coming out of the south), but in my search a year back I came across more total loss flood bikes in the Southern States than anywhere else, buyer beware just trying ot help out a fellow Canadian, not much recourse after you get a bike 1000's of miles away and all of a sudden the electrical is going crazy or all your bearings are shot. Just sayen be careful, not trying to knock the south.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:23 PM
jakes1000
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You Canadians are funny, flooded in the south LOL and for the cost of a $500 warrenty I can rebuild my engine and have fun doing it and God forbid I should learn how to do something on my own. I live in Nasville where we just had a huge flood and the first thing I saved was my Harley. We do tend to put more miles on our bikes down here as we have a few more months of good weather and our winters are still tolerable for some.You should be able to find a good deal from a private owner but dealers tend to be a little pricey.Craigs list is a great place to start and itellya has a great idea about the trip of a life time. Thats a great way to get to know your new ride and see part of the states as well.Plan your search in places you would like to see from the back of your new ride.As far as a warrenty there are dozens of options even on a bike purchased from private owners depending on age and milage of the bike but most are limited even at dealers and are for the most part a wast of money on used bikes. Invest your money in a good tool kit and a repair manual for the bike you purchase.Despite what jap bikers say, its rare that you see a Harley broke down on the side of the road although sh-- does happen because after all it is a machine.Other bikers on the road are usally glad to stop and help as well.Good luck and I hope you find the bike of your dreams.....ride safe.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:41 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by jakes1000
You Canadians are funny, flooded in the south LOL and for the cost of a $500 warrenty I can rebuild my engine and have fun doing it and God forbid I should learn how to do something on my own. I live in Nasville where we just had a huge flood and the first thing I saved was my Harley. We do tend to put more miles on our bikes down here as we have a few more months of good weather and our winters are still tolerable for some.You should be able to find a good deal from a private owner but dealers tend to be a little pricey.Craigs list is a great place to start and itellya has a great idea about the trip of a life time. Thats a great way to get to know your new ride and see part of the states as well.Plan your search in places you would like to see from the back of your new ride.As far as a warrenty there are dozens of options even on a bike purchased from private owners depending on age and milage of the bike but most are limited even at dealers and are for the most part a wast of money on used bikes. Invest your money in a good tool kit and a repair manual for the bike you purchase.Despite what jap bikers say, its rare that you see a Harley broke down on the side of the road although sh-- does happen because after all it is a machine.Other bikers on the road are usally glad to stop and help as well.Good luck and I hope you find the bike of your dreams.....ride safe.
He's got a point WRT warranty. A $1000 or more cost savings will pay for a lot of work on a bike especially if you do it yourself. IMO a warranty is not really worth a lot and it is very, very rare to ever need warranty work of any significant amount on a bike.

Last edited by fat_tony; 09-06-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:55 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Lid
Stay out of the south lots of flood damaged bikes coming out of those areas.
Yeah....the entire Southern half of the United States has been underwater for 6 months....WTF??

Old 09-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Burstbucker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to respond to my original post!

As for what I'm interested in, I'd have to say a low mileage Road King or maybe even an Electra Glide, etc... Probably a 2009 or newer since I'm convinced that they made some significant improvements since 2009.

I doubt that I'll be in the position in the near future to buy something but I'd at least like to get some info on how to go about getting a sweet deal and not get burned.

If there are good deals in the north eastern states, that's great news, I'm not very far from there, to be honest, that's probably as far as I'd like to go.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,552 Likes on 2,500 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Yeah....the entire Southern half of the United States has been underwater for 6 months....WTF??
Glub glub glub glub glub....burble

Old 09-07-2011, 07:09 AM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, as a Canadian I bought and brought home an 05 Road King out of Florida a couple of years ago. I was in Florida and shopped Craigs list and found a nice bike, it was a private deal and fellow had title in hand.
I checked out the bike and found it needed tires and front brakes, we negotiated an adjusted price that worked for both of us. Just be aware that you will find some corrosion and pitting of chrome on most Florida bikes.
I saved at least $4K to $6K over what the bike would have cost me in Canada.
I rode the bike 18,000 miles over a little less than 2 years only doing the maintenance.
I decided it was time to upgrade the ride in Canada. I chatted with the local Harley dealer here and told him I had a trade against a new Road Glide, he shot off a pre-inspection trade in price. As soon as the dealer saw it was a US bike he did not want it.
I sold the bike privately for $500 less than I paid for it, not bad after putting 2 years riding and 18,000 miles on it.
Shop carefully, see the bike don't just buy it sight unseen and I know you can find a good deal.
Lots of Harley's in Florida and the economy in Florida is not great.
I am heading to Biketoberfest this year and I know there will be lots for sale although that is not a good purchase period, everyone wants top dollar going into that 4 day period.
Good luck.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:59 PM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

http://hdmotorcyclesforsale.com/

Look under motorcycle dealers for Bob's motorcyclesin Rhode Island. I've been watching and he seems to have some pretty good deals going.

Quick Reply: Where in the States does an Atlantic Canadian score a good used Harley?