General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Killer bees and locusts

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:42 PM
marcortez
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Killer bees and locusts

To those of you who ride with a "half helmet", how do you, or what do you do, to keep the bugs and other road debris off your lips and nose while doing 70mph?....ouch!! or worse!!

I know that when I am driving my truck, occasionally a swarm of bees will get splattered on the windshield...or a wayward pebble tossed up by another vehicle.

Goggles or some glasses would protect your eyes, but how about the exposed parts of your face?

Or do you just wipe off the blood and guts at the next pit stop?

Face doo rag?...is that the proper terminology?

Old 09-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a windshield.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:08 PM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

I wear a half helmet and don't ride with a windshield, but I understand those that do just for that reason. Get bugs, gravel, sand, etc. in my face all the time. I just deal with it because I prefer the wind in my face and hate looking through plastic.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Upgrade to a bagger w/fairing - you won't be disappointed...

Old 09-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member

I cut my windshield lower and do not look through plastic.
However, I do not have to duck as far for cover.
Still some of that **** hits you straight on regardless.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:45 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

When you see it coming, duck.

I still take **** in the face though. it stings but i just wipe it off. ive got a chipped tooth from a rock that went through my closed lips. part of the fun i guess.

i just like having a 1/2 on. FF helmets make it difficult for me to see, hear, and feel whats going on around me

Old 09-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont let these guys sway you to the dark side, dont get a full helmet dont get a wind shield and for god sake dont get a bagger, lol. I wear skull cap (as per my name) and always have my face in the wind, when needed ill throw one of my paislie bandanas over my nose like a mask, doing that long before those cheezy skull mask bandanas came out.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Dynomutt
Cruiser

I tend to favor a 3/4 helmet with goggles and a windshield. Last Friday I went to a demo days and enjoyed several naked bikes. While riding the Nightrod, I took a big, juicy bug right in the face. It stung. Plus it looked like I missed my mouth by about an inch while trying to eat an extra mustardy hotdog.

On another ride, I bounced a low-flying seagull off the windshield. It would not have been fun to have a very upset seagull in my lap going down the road.

Long post made short, windshields are nice if you are going minimalist with the face protection.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:25 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

half helmet here with bagger, huge windshield. Almost all bugs and debris hits the windshield, except the really big ones. The ones that have so much momentum that the wind flow over the windshield isn't enough to deflect them. Those big ones I get in the forehead. Sometimes on the helmet, sometimes on my glasses. but have had some big spats on my face too. Only the biggest ones. haha.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:26 PM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I use a cheapy 3 snap visor for my Daytona half helmet. I get a smoked visor each spring and by the end of the summer it's scratched up enough to chuck and get a new one. The smoked visor keeps the bug guts, road wash and *sun* off of my face, and I can ride all day without getting a sunburned or windburned face. I like it so much I usually keep it on even when traveling thru non-helmet law states. Might not look the coolest but at the end of a 12 hour day it's nice NOT to have a sunburned face.

Quick Reply: Killer bees and locusts