General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Killer bees and locusts

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by banddirector
Might not look the coolest but at the end of a 12 hour day it's nice NOT to have a sunburned face.
SPF 100 always does the trick for me 13 years and counting, half helmet good, sun bad ; )

Old 09-05-2011, 11:21 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

"To those of you who ride with a "half helmet", how do you, or what do you do, to keep the bugs and other road debris off your lips and nose while doing 70mph?....ouch!! or worse!!"

I use my tongue.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:28 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,199 Likes on 1,809 Posts

No helmet, have a Slipstream SpitFire mini windshield...when I am going to do a bit of highway riding I put on the windshield. Sometimes when doing more backroads or around town stuff I pop the windshield off. Only takes about 12 - 15 seconds to put it on or take it off.

It's a mini windshield..about 11 inches high. I don't look through plastic at all unless I'm trying to look down at my front fender. Yet on the highway, deflects many things that would have dinged me.

Many things still come your way with a trajectory that will take them up and over the windshield and into my face...sometimes you see them coming and can shift your head out of the way. Other times you just take 'em in the face and it stings for a second or two. Sometimes it'll even be an object that will draw blood.

It's part of riding.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:07 AM
s.ga.rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear a full face. I thought about getting a half helmet but I have had some things hit my shield on my helmet that I think I would have taken a punch by mike tyson instead.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:04 AM
osirisdean
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by marcortez
To those of you who ride with a "half helmet", how do you, or what do you do, to keep the bugs and other road debris off your lips and nose while doing 70mph?....ouch!! or worse!!
luck.

i dont have a windshield, or even a front fender for that matter, so my face gets hit with all sorts of debris and critters. nothing has left scars or knocked out teeth yet, so im good to go.

i do wear goggles, though, and it's a good thing i do: last year i took a bee (or locust or some other fat and slow bug) right in the left eye. had to pull over to unsmear my goggles, but better them than my eyeball.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:07 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

windshield works pretty good and you still have your face in the wind although you don't get the full force.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:42 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had bees, dragonflies, rocks, sand, beetles, lovebugs and all sorts of other crap hit my windshield instead of me. Won't ride without it.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:32 AM
MrMojo
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I added a detachable windshield and the only time I have taken it off so far is to clean it!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:55 AM
marcortez
Tourer

I have decided on a open face model with a face shield that I can move up or down.

I am a pansy *** and don't relish beating up my face any more than it already is.

My blood and some bug guts on my face are not necessary to show the world that I can procreate. (I could get the "V" reversed right?)

Each to their own devices and thanks for the feedback.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Nightstick
Novice

I keep a detachable windshield on for most riding as I seldom, ok never, wear a lid. Works for 90% of the bugs. Every once in awhile I get brave and run with the windshield off because it looks so much better imho. Last time a big bug hit me in the neck at 60mph. Felt like I was shot. Have had the windshield on ever since.

Quick Reply: Killer bees and locusts