General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non MC or RC Vest Pic's

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 06:21 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
it's pretty simple there's the guy who adorns his vest with pins and patches because they have meaning to him, nothing to do with trying to look like a hardass. Then there's the guy who buys a vest, buys a bunch of meaningless patches, pins of whatever flair he thinks looks cool or tough and wears it and acts the baffoon and like a tough guy in local bars or other areas where people who don't ride are likely to mistake him for an MC member or something. They are two totally different things.

The point is people who don't ride don't know any better between a real MC member and some guy who throws a vest together and tries to act like a tough guy because he knows people won't know any better and he can try and play the part. It's this second guy who is a cocksmock.
One good indicator to me is if a dudes vest, patches etc are dirty and worn. the dirtier and more worn then those are the guys that ride for a living. They ride their bikes everywhere. That is what they do. If you got fresh patches and crap then you are a newb. Not necesarily a poser but maybe just someone starting out who does not know better. Everyone starts somewhere. It does not take much time to figure out. Especially if you hang out a biker bars.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:57 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Here's my back patch, and a "Thank you"patch we received from the Mn VFW.
The front is covered with pins, each one with its own story.

Attached Thumbnails Non MC or RC Vest Pic's-mnpatch-002.jpg   Non MC or RC Vest Pic's-mn-vfw-pg-patch.jpg  
Old 09-09-2011, 10:34 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by wilburz
One good indicator to me is if a dudes vest, patches etc are dirty and worn. the dirtier and more worn then those are the guys that ride for a living. They ride their bikes everywhere. That is what they do. If you got fresh patches and crap then you are a newb. Not necesarily a poser but maybe just someone starting out who does not know better. Everyone starts somewhere. It does not take much time to figure out. Especially if you hang out a biker bars.
Good points all but everyone starts out (as you mention) as the new kid somewhere, sometime. I added pins and patches over the years that had meaning to me, so some are definitely more worn than others. Recently added "F**k Jane Fonda" to it (found it at Sturgis) and finally found a "Shovelhead" patch I will have my sister sew on, in addition to doing some more cross stitching.

Guess I find it interesting to see what others have. Best part is that if ya keep it, repair it and ride long enough it will definitely have a "worn" look to it. Not sure it gets much better than that.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:12 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not saying most times you're not wrong but... Been riding since 86 (yeah I'm newb) never thought about a vest til I got HD. Only have the EGA on the back and American Flag, POW-MIA patch on the front. It's clean slightly worn nothing like the Ol School (Great vest).

But like the previous reply mentioned everyone that has one started with a new one and some don't wear theirs as often as others.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Denver Dave
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Instant street cred for only $130!!!

You better hurry.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Harley-D...item4aafcac49a

Old 10-26-2011, 09:36 AM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Haven't worn mine in ten years
weighs bout 20lbs, lol

just not into it anymore

I you want to wear one good on you, like one said it tells a story, like my ink
carry on

Old 10-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Pappy 05 Heritage
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really enjoyed this thread. Wish there would have been more replies and more pics with vests but still a good thread. Thanks to everyone for sharing!!!

Old 10-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Now that I've seen the pictures of forum members wearing their vest, I'm giving mine to Goodwill...

Old 10-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's hilarious!
I wondered if anyone who posted up a pic thought "I never realized how it looks unil now'.

Originally Posted by Tony P
Now that I've seen the pictures of forum members wearing their vest, I'm giving mine to Goodwill...

Old 10-26-2011, 06:22 PM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One good indicator to me is if a dudes vest, patches etc are dirty and worn. the dirtier and more worn then those are the guys that ride for a living. They ride their bikes everywhere. That is what they do. If you got fresh patches and crap then you are a newb.
Not necessarily true. I clean my patches and vest. Otherwise, it would be trashed in a couple months. I get lots of bugs on the front and plenty of road dirt/spray on the back.

I use a mild mix of baking soda, soda water and a tooth brush to clean the patches...a warm wet cloth to clean the leather (or my denim cut if it's summer) and carefully apply leather conditioners.

I take care of my ****. Learned that about my boots in the Army. Take care of it and it will last....

Although, that pic of the jacket/vest from the 70's is the bomb...you win man.

Quick Reply: Non MC or RC Vest Pic's