General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Wind Anxiety-

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 08:39 PM
afoulsmell
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Wind Anxiety-

I was hit pretty hard by the side winds today on my way home. I don't know how strong, but I'm guessing about 25mph? Headwind is a little bit of a nuisance, but the side winds are a real PITA. I'm wondering if this happens to everyone, or just some of us due to our situation. My buddy was following me the other day in some wind, and he was surprised at how much my bike was affected by the wind. It's like the bike is pushed by the wind, but I stay in place. Kind of like the bike is being pushed out from under me. Unnerving- He thinks it might be due to my spokes being loose, but they don't seem loose. I weigh about 300, and I'm pretty sure my Super Glide weighs in around 600lbs. Doesn't seem like such a heavy proposition would get pushed around so much. He rides a big old Softail, while I ride what seems to be a smaller Dyna.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:55 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just get use to it. I am on a Sporty! When it is windy, I have to really ride the bike. It dances under me but the wind only makes me tired by the when I get to my destination. No anxiety. Good luck!

Old 09-04-2011, 09:07 PM
FatBoyVeteran
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It aint the spokes, its just riding.

Mine does the same thing on high cross winds. Bet your buddy wont tell me the same thing!

It made me nervous at first. But after a while, I got used to the cross winds and just adjusted as needed. Some days are better than others. And if its that bad.....like tree tops touching the ground, I keep my *** on the couch!

Old 09-04-2011, 09:08 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

When I had my sportster the wind blew me all over the place. So much better with my Heritage but I still don't like riding in high wind gusts.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:09 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

today was a windy day in texas. Not so much hard sustained winds but very gusty.You get a 30 mph blast and then nothing and then you get another 30 mph blast.Its the first time its been this gusty in months.Dust everywhere, tumbleweeds blowin, leaves and corn stalk bits everywhere. I took the truck today because of it.----on that bike as as big as you are im surprised youre having that much trouble but you get use to it...or leave it be.When its this gusty its hard to tell whats gonna happen next.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you live on the prairies you feel funny when you aren't riding in a 25 mph wind. It's how I grew up riding, try getting a big gust on a Suzuki TL1000R doing 140 mph, that can be un-nerving. back in my young stupid days, now it's low and slow with the Harley, loving every second of the ride.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:48 AM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best thing you can do is to try and relax. I know how unnerving it can be at times. I rode about 50 miles one time with the bike leaning over at a good 30 degrees going strait. And that was with my Wife on the back.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:08 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I move house a week ago and now have a 10 mile stretch of motorway that winds across some relatively flat countryside in my commute. The side winds can be... surprising.

You just have to get used to it, but reducing your speed by even a few miles an hour can restore a sense of stability somewhat.

Ahhh, the joys of motorcycling...

Old 09-05-2011, 06:39 AM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sportster is a biatch in a crosswind, almost nerve wracking! Electra Glide is fairly stable though. My bud who has a 2011 SG hates crosswinds. Says it is very unstable

Old 09-05-2011, 09:08 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wind is just a part of riding. Windy all over Texas this weekend. Going to be very windy today.

Quick Reply: Side Wind Anxiety-