General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Wind Anxiety-

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 02:11 AM
Skidrow
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iamfree
what about 40-50mph cross wind gusts? i'm thinking of going up the 62 in southern california, where the windfarms are located, and take the scenic route to flagstaff. instead of the 10 straight out. i've been up to joshua tree many many times in an suv but don't know how that would be on a bike. i'm renting a streetglide.
Get ready for some serious cross winds. I've done that route on my ultra. Been riding for 30 some years and those are the worst I've ever experienced. Had to take a couple of breaks along the way. The cross wind gusts were easily 50 MPH, very unpredictable, and almost blew me into the next lane. Just be prepared for a wild ride.

Last edited by Skidrow; 09-09-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:55 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've never noticed the bars on my fatty being pulled out of my hands because of the solid frt wheel, but mine does have the holes drilled. If i get in crosswinds say 25 and up it just buffets and moves the whole bike. when it gets too windy i just take her down a notch or two on the throttle and its manageable..

Old 09-09-2011, 09:45 AM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

to the OP, another big thing to know is that throttle has a tremendous affect on reducing the effects of the wind.

If you get some strong wind, throttle up or down... either change will help.

It really is something to play around with and as I have learned over the last year, is really a factor of experience. Meaning, I am considerably more relaxed comfortable now than I was the first few months.

Hope that helps.

M

Old 09-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Cruiser

We live in the Kootenay mountains of British Columbia and since I bought my softail in june and being 30+ years since I've driven a bike. Driving the mountain roads and catch a bare spot in the trees also takes you for a good ol' shimmy when the winds blowing just right and multiply that with a semi coming the other way with a tailwind kinda white knuckles you cause sometimes it feels like its going to lift the bike right off the ground.
I just move over to the outside part of the lane to let the semi pass but still those crosswinds are nasty.

Ps I thank god my bike didn't come with solid rims That would multiply the crosswind immensely

Last edited by Alter; 09-09-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:50 PM
fxdxrider
Road Captain

Main things with riding in cross-winds is not to tense up - easy grip on the bars and watch that the shoulders don't tense up either (I've always had to consciously relax my shoulders and back in big (30mph+) crosswinds).
Also helps to let the wind move you around a bit in relation to the bike - I don't mind it moving me as long as I don't transfer it to the bike. I suspect that the bigger riders who expect their weight to hold the bike in place are actually catching the wind and then if they are rigid on the bike they'll transfer that to the bike too.
I like to keep the throttle ready so I make sure I'm at the power (say 3500+ rpm) whatever the road speed so if a big gust hits I can just pick it up on the power (bit like lifting a bike out of a bend by opening the throttle). Finally it's important to read the situation, riding near low walls, across bridges, behind buildings etc can all affect the bike and it's less scary if you expect than if it surprises you.
Finally I would say that all Harleys that I've ridden are less affected by cross winds than enclosed sport bikes where the wind can't find a way through the bike. No matter how bad it might feel to you you can at least enjoy thinking that it's worse for them.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:09 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

I found the lighter the bike, the worse cross-winds feel. My RK has some weight to it so I only feel it behind the winshield than anywhere else.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts

I dont care what anybody says the size and weight of the bike makes a huge difference when it comes to the wind! My first Harley was a sporty and it got blown all over the place on the interstate from crosswinds and big trucks! Same with my street bob! Night train too but better. Now my Fatboy Lo is alot better..Very stable but if its windy enough that will get blown around too! Just got to get use to it. Learn to ride the wind and stay somewhat loose so you dont get beat up!

Last edited by Zakk13; 09-09-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:48 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

I agree with the size, weight and lowness of a bike making a huge difference. I don't feel the cross winds too much on my King. At least not in the same way as tooling around on my dual sport. My DR is very tall, and when those cross winds hit me on that, I feel like I'm taking a tight corner with how much the bike is leaning under me, yet I am riding straight. A bit unnerving, but you get used to it. The fun is when it's gusting real bad and you pass a semi trailor and it gets calm for a second and you straighten up, and then BAM, it blasts you again.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 09-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Adam_87
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being i live in corpus christi texas, the winds are always going 20+ at least. You just learn to deal with it, def have to be aware so you react accordingly. Im no slouch and ive had the wind just about blow me outta my lane before just lean it and throttle up or down. Ride or drive a cage..

Old 09-09-2011, 05:57 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,661 Likes on 2,538 Posts

My Fatty is a biotch in a sidewind 'cause of the solid wheels. That's why the new ones have hole in 'em.

Quick Reply: Side Wind Anxiety-