General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Wind Anxiety-

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I rode through a flat area yesterday with sustained side winds of 20-25 & gusting to 40 on my 1200 Sporty. I had to lean the bike over like I was going around a sharp curve, only I was going straight. Just relax and don't try to over-fight it. Keep control but don't grip too hard as that can upset the bike even more. Glad I had my new tired put on last week..made a huge difference.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member
Veteran: Army
Received 7,602 Likes on 2,192 Posts

never quote a spammer

belay that ****!

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 09-06-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:15 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've ridden in some VERY strong, gusty sidewinds.

It doesn't make me anxious, but it does affect my lane position, lines through a curve, etc...

Old 09-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member
Veteran: Army
Received 7,602 Likes on 2,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Foodog
Don't know what kind of tires you're riding on but my low rider on the stock Dunlops was absolutely scary in some of the wind we get out this way in the spring. At 2700 miles I took off the Dunlops and put on Metzeler ME880's. The difference was dramatic! The bike was stable in the wind and had absolutely no tendency to wander or wobble. The wind related problems just disappeared with the Metzeler's. Same thing happened once before with a metric bike that came equipped with Dunlops. I wonder how many people riding on Dunlops put up with ill handling in the wind thinking it's normal. On the other hand, my son rides an Ultra with Dunlops and doesn't seem to have any problems in the wind. It's something you might want to consider when you need new tires though.
Foodog, I'm having a hard time understanding how tires are going keep 40-60 mph wind gust from knocking me around.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Drilln'Boss
Foodog, I'm having a hard time understanding how tires are going keep 40-60 mph wind gust from knocking me around.
Tire profile might have an affect on it, but I don't see how it would completely stomp out the problem or even how much of a difference it would be.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once spoke wheels are spinning, they're just as solid to the wind as fatboy wheels.

I saw a guy do a demo once. He took a fatboy and put it on a set of rollers, and started it up. He let it idle, back wheel spinning away. Then he took a air leaf blower on one side and a piece of paper on the other. The wind from the leaf blower didn't move the paper.

Then he took a bike with spoke wheels and did the same thing with the exact same results.

The purpose of the demo was to get the Fatboy owner to stop whining.

I'm sure there's a difference, but it's minimal, and not a reason to replace solid wheels.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:01 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

You're a big guy. 300 lbs on the super glide skinny front tire may be the thing. Maybe you should trade up to a touring series bike with the fatter tires.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:06 PM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Yes, relax and don`t ride with your arms rigid, you will get used to it.

The bike will move around underneath you, but usually continue to go where you are pointing it.

If you grip the bars with a rigid grip, the bike will be more likely to move all over the road.
I found this out years ago. The biggest sail on the bike is the rider and you will unconsciously contribute to the problem if you hold on too tightly. The bike wants to go straight and though it will wiggle around a bit it will continue to go straight if you give it half a chance. Also, I’ve been riding a Fatboy with solid wheels for over ten years now and even toured on it. I really have no more problems with wind on it than on my Street Glide. I don’t think the wheel has any effect at all. As was said, a solid wheel is a very small part of the overall size of the bike and with discs that are almost as large as the wheel, even spoked wheels could be a problem. I can’t imagine the small holes in the new wheels having any effect at all. JMHO.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Druid
The salesman at the HD dealer told me ... I wonder how much of that it true though.
Enough said.

Most of the "scientific types" will tell you that spokes or mags develop a "solid effect" at speed, so it is all just part of riding.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ribaldmanikin
Once spoke wheels are spinning, they're just as solid to the wind as fatboy wheels.

I saw a guy do a demo once. He took a fatboy and put it on a set of rollers, and started it up. He let it idle, back wheel spinning away. Then he took a air leaf blower on one side and a piece of paper on the other. The wind from the leaf blower didn't move the paper.

Then he took a bike with spoke wheels and did the same thing with the exact same results.

The purpose of the demo was to get the Fatboy owner to stop whining.

I'm sure there's a difference, but it's minimal, and not a reason to replace solid wheels.
there ya go... nice

Quick Reply: Side Wind Anxiety-