General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the harley used market in the toilet? (From sellers perspective)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 06:44 PM
dmftoy1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the harley used market in the toilet? (From sellers perspective)

Been looking at the possibility of upgrading my ride but wanted to do a private sale, been watching craigslist and other boards all summer and it seems like even the bikes where guys are asking 2-3k below KBB "retail" aren't moving . . .don't know if it's just this region that's depressed or ??

Curious what other people are seeing . .maybe the economy is just that bad?

(I'm talking 4 year old bikes not selling at 50% of MSRP of the "new" equivalent model)

Old 09-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,829 Likes on 3,177 Posts

I really believe the economy is the biggest factor. When that settles (?) lots of buyers will take the risk and invest in good used rides.

But if you don't know that your job is gonna' be there next year, you play it safe.

Like houses, too many are available for the number of buyers looking....

Old 09-04-2011, 06:55 PM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's definitely a buyer's market.

A lot more iron on the block than there are buyers and a lot of the sellers seem motivated to sell.

In hindsight, we could have come out way ahead buying used but couldn't find just what I was looking for. If we had wanted a Street Glide, man-o-man... lots of great deals on young bikes that got all of the post-sale upgrades.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:55 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

It may be currently, as the economy as a whole is suffering.

Otherwise, there is a market out there.

If the bike is SUPER CLEAN, there will always be a market for it.

ALOT of guys out there who can afford a nice used hog. It's the ones that are beat to death that are harder to sell, unless the price is SUPER cheap...then they are good to rip apart and sell off the pieces.

A clean big twin frame with a title is worth a couple grand just on it's own.

~Joe

Old 09-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,295 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Seeing the same thing in this area.

Seems like the same bikes get listed for months and the price keeps dropping.

Some great deals out there and the weather is starting to cool. great time to have cash in hand and be buying.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:57 PM
dmftoy1
Tourer

It's really a strange market because I put 12 guns up for sale and they were gone in a week but I put the bike up 4 weeks ago $2600 below KBB "retail" and other than people offering to send me a check that has more than the selling price (can I forward it on to 'x' person . .) I'm not hearing a peep.

I'm to the point where I'm just going to keep the bike (love it) and buy the next one outright and "maybe" sell my bike next spring or whenever the economy comes back . .if it does.

Have a good one,
Dave

Old 09-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by dmftoy1
Been looking at the possibility of upgrading my ride but wanted to do a private sale, been watching craigslist and other boards all summer and it seems like even the bikes where guys are asking 2-3k below KBB "retail" aren't moving . . .don't know if it's just this region that's depressed or ??

Curious what other people are seeing . .maybe the economy is just that bad?

(I'm talking 4 year old bikes not selling at 50% of MSRP of the "new" equivalent model)
Since IL raised it's income taxes last year, they are losing jobs faster than an other state. Glut of toys on the market.

From http://blog.heritage.org/2011/08/24/...-tax-increase/
Illinois Loses Most Jobs in Nation Following Massive Tax Increase

Mike Brownfield
August 24, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Correlation doesn’t necessarily equal causation, but some disturbing correlations are evident in the nation’s economic woes.
Take Illinois. If you take a look at the chart below, you can see a startling picture. In Illinois, employment numbers increased steadily until January 2011, at which point they took a sharp dip downward—the same time that state’s governor announced plans to increase the personal income tax rate by 67 percent and the corporate rates by 46 percent. And things keep getting worse.

The Illinois Policy Institute reports:
Illinois lost more jobs during the month of July than any other state in the nation, according to the most recent Bureau of Labor Statistics report. After losing 7,200 jobs in June, Illinois lost an additional 24,900 non-farm payroll jobs in July. The report also said Illinois’s unemployment rate climbed to 9.5 percent. This marks the third consecutive month of increases in the unemployment rate.
Illinois started to create jobs as the national economy began to recover. But just when Illinois’s economy seemed to be turning around, lawmakers passed record tax increases in January of this year. Since then, Illinois’s employment numbers have done nothing but decline.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:59 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Might be better off trading it in then.

The dealer is able to sell used bikes easier, as they can offer financing on site, warranty them etc.

The dealers need to deal. 2011's have to go!

~Joe

Old 09-04-2011, 07:00 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ron750
Since IL raised it's income taxes last year, they are losing jobs faster than an other state. Glut of toys on the market.

From http://blog.heritage.org/2011/08/24/...-tax-increase/
Illinois Loses Most Jobs in Nation Following Massive Tax Increase

Mike Brownfield
August 24, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Correlation doesn’t necessarily equal causation, but some disturbing correlations are evident in the nation’s economic woes.
Take Illinois. If you take a look at the chart below, you can see a startling picture. In Illinois, employment numbers increased steadily until January 2011, at which point they took a sharp dip downward—the same time that state’s governor announced plans to increase the personal income tax rate by 67 percent and the corporate rates by 46 percent. And things keep getting worse.

The Illinois Policy Institute reports:
Illinois lost more jobs during the month of July than any other state in the nation, according to the most recent Bureau of Labor Statistics report. After losing 7,200 jobs in June, Illinois lost an additional 24,900 non-farm payroll jobs in July. The report also said Illinois’s unemployment rate climbed to 9.5 percent. This marks the third consecutive month of increases in the unemployment rate.
Illinois started to create jobs as the national economy began to recover. But just when Illinois’s economy seemed to be turning around, lawmakers passed record tax increases in January of this year. Since then, Illinois’s employment numbers have done nothing but decline.
The Obama Effect.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:03 PM
dmftoy1
Tourer

Believe it or not but I talked to the dealer and they said that they're having trouble offering good trade-in values because they're not moving the used bikes either. They were the one who recommended going the "private party" route. (for what they offered I'll keep the bike and hand it off to my son, grandkids, etc. )

I've been lucky in that I don't NEED to sell it get a new toy . .and I really don't need a new bike . . .just have a hard-on for and audio system, ABS and electronic Cruise Control.

Have a good one,
Dave

Quick Reply: Is the harley used market in the toilet? (From sellers perspective)