General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the harley used market in the toilet? (From sellers perspective)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 07:09 PM
lammgrel
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom market is for sure

I was going to trade in my 2006 Thunder Mountain Customs Sterling RM and my 2009 Thunder Mountain Customs Blackhawk 240 on my 2012 CVO Street Glide, but one dealership wouldn't even give me a number on trade in value for fear of "insulting" me, and another dealer offered me $12,000 for the bobber and $15,000 for the chopper. Well, $15000 for the chopper was a slap in the face, especially from the dealership that sold it to me. The bobber was more reasonable, but I will ad the chopper for $27,500 and take my chances......

Old 09-04-2011, 07:10 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

it's the economy I believe.

I only gave 7k for my Low Rider

Old 09-04-2011, 07:13 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

My local dealer still offering good trade in money...
You need to remember that it is not how much they give you for trade that matters, It's money difference. That's the only thing that matters...

badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dmftoy1
Been looking at the possibility of upgrading my ride but wanted to do a private sale, been watching craigslist and other boards all summer and it seems like even the bikes where guys are asking 2-3k below KBB "retail" aren't moving . . .don't know if it's just this region that's depressed or ??

Curious what other people are seeing . .maybe the economy is just that bad?

(I'm talking 4 year old bikes not selling at 50% of MSRP of the "new" equivalent model)
Yes! Your bike and the market are in the toilet. Take a look at Knoxville Harley Davidson's new PR campaign. Knoxville Harley Davidson has the Harley brand logo posted on porta potty's-glorified poop-pops, in down town Knoxville. Uh?

dmftoy1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
it's the economy I believe.

I only gave 7k for my Low Rider
LOL - yup, that seems to be near the going rate . . .I'm seeing them in the 7 - 8.5 K range with low miles. Love the Low Rider!

Old 09-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was in the market for a bike, I would definitely buy used, There're so many bikes with low miles that the original owner let sit in the garage, that are ripe for the picking.
Yes the stock 103 is tempting, but not worth it with deals that are out there.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:27 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

The used market bottomed out some time back and is returning strong. Many dealers can't get in enough.

The reason HD sold about 500,000 thousand less bikes in the past three years than there typical year volume. Those that held on to their jobs delayed buying anything. Just like the surge in cars the last year both new and used bikes sales have increased.

ebay reported that they sold one HD every 32 minutes 24/7 for the first 6 months of 2011.

Many posters on this forum lately about the new to them bike that they got.

The big "BUT" is that the bike must be priced correctly for the market that they are in. The ones that have a hard time selling are the ones that want all the money back that they put in accessories. That just does not happen. Also retail is not the correct price. It is the private sell price which is lower than retail. Retail is what a dealer asks. He has checked the bike over and made it road ready. He has financing services.

So, if you have correct private sale price for the year and condition, your chance of selling is good.

Last edited by lh4x4; 09-04-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Think of a motorcycle as an expense and not an investment. Buy their stock if you want to invest. Just ride what ever you have. Buy whatever you can afford.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:44 PM
O.F.
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In my area, sellers are not bashful with asking prices...but those are the ones you see over and over. Priced right, they sell quickly IMO.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:02 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know about private sales, but our dealer has a parking lot full of used bikes, and are desparate to get rid of them before the end of the riding season. They had some pretty good price cuts on a lot of the bikes in the lot, something I never see them do.

Quick Reply: Is the harley used market in the toilet? (From sellers perspective)