General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Splash

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts
Default RE: Gas Splash

ORIGINAL: Monzie

Try not to be HE-MAN at the pump, I always ease on the pump untill I find a nice slow flow and not fire hose pressure.
I do, I just couldn't with this one. It only had one setting..splash!

Old 11-18-2006, 09:32 PM
warren888
Account Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup... around here, the majority of gas stations have two flow rates - off and fire hose.

I have one favorite with a controllable stream.

So - I definitely get splashes, but doesn't seem to do any damage. A good modern urethane clear coat should resist gasoline pretty well. I just clean it off.

one advantage to having a black pearl paint job (black underneath with multicolor flecks that light up in bright sun) - is that the finish doesn't show every little mark. Gloss black is probably the worst for that.

Old 11-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Only happens to me after I have washed and detailed the scoot...

I just changed the oil and washed it today, so next fill up!

Edmo

Old 11-18-2006, 10:14 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep A 5 GAL Can AT Home?????? Come ON LADIES...........MANN UP & JUST FUEL UP!

Old 11-18-2006, 10:22 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That seems to be all we have in my area, you get used to being careful all the time.
Sometimes on those high pressure nozzles if you don't put it in all the way it won't splash back when you first pull the trigger because it has a little space before it hits the bottom of the tank. End up with a few drops on the tank every now and then.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:56 AM
d42s
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it twice on the same fill up...[:@]...pulled the nozzel out a bit to see how close to the top of the tank i was getting and the gas, hit the plate with the 2 holes in it.....gas splashed over me and flowed over the tank and down on to the motor.
Said quite a few choice words and $%$#@ did the exacate same thing again 10 seconds later when I continued to fuel up.
I took the window wash water and dumped it over the tank and motor. Good thing I was just filling up on the way home.
Gave her a good wash when I got home 30 min later.......but **** me off to do it twice...[sm=bangbang.gif] duhhh

Old 11-19-2006, 01:03 AM
toadmanor
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do the paper towel thing although I never wipe the bike with it.

I wad the towel around the hoze nozzle when it is in the filler hole just in case of a back splash and then plug the nozzle as I pull it away to prevent drops.

Aren't I ****?

Old 11-19-2006, 02:28 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: Heritage07

I pulled into an Exxon station by my house that I never went to before and what a disaster. The pressure coming out of the pump was so damn strong the gas splashed the bike and me. Needless to say I was a little pissed and didn't bother trying to fill up the rest of the way. It was so strong you couldn't even try to feather the trigger. Thank God the Harley does a great job of clear coating their tanks and it cleaned right up when I got home. Anybody else ever experience uncontrollable gas pumps like that before?

I hate it when it that happens.

I found if you hold the loose hand on the bottom and press your thumb against the back of the handle and press down in the off position. You can control the rate.

Old 11-19-2006, 04:53 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I had that happen at an AM/PM (Arco, anubisss knows about them!) They are the only ones around here in Phx that have that ribbing on the nozzle (to keep fumes from escaping I believe). Well I was filling up my Lowrider and my hand slipped as I was pulling it out slowly to top it off, spilled gas everywhere, tank, jacket, gloves! I was quite pissed by then!

Since then I won't fill up at a place that has those ribbing things on the nozzles, with the Harley at least!

Old 11-19-2006, 12:09 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had that happen..only thing close to that was when I went to fill the gas tank up, the handle was leaking around where the nozzle meets the handle and it did make a huge mess..

I felt the same way, pissed.

Quick Reply: Gas Splash