General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shane Wallace Motorcycles - BEWARE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 12:07 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by passae
Two things:

How did you pay him?....always pay with a credit card. Never... Ever ...pay with cash or check. This is for your protection. If you did, call your card company and stop payment. They will investigate..they have lawyers. If you didn't pay with a credit card, call an attorney?

Did you document anything?

Good luck.
Well, that's what I thought also. However, you can only stop payment on a credit card if it is issued by a bank or similar financial institution. If it is not issued by a bank, they can not stop payment. You can only dispute the amount of the charges or whether the charge was made by someone who stole your credit card information.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:38 PM
BillM
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coach1
Depressing story, to say the least. Seems like it would have been cheaper to buy a new bike and had been riding during the time leading up to Sturgis, sorry to say.

Stories like this make me distrust the dealerships. We have a small independent who I trust more, but even, for work beyon my own ability. These machines are not rocket science and any compident shop should have been capable.....the hard stuff was farmed out

Add them to the dealer's hall of shame!
This was an Indy not a dealer. Just an FYI...

Old 09-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Coach1
Tourer

Originally Posted by BillM
This was an Indy not a dealer. Just an FYI...
Hmmm....thanks for clarification....still sorry to hear and heads-up

Old 09-06-2011, 05:47 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,703 Likes on 2,126 Posts

Originally Posted by FBFletch
Quite honestly, I had originally decided that I was going to let my local dealership (Blue Ridge) do the engine work. After talking to the Service Manager at Blue Ridge, I felt very comfortable that they could handle the work on the engine.

As far as the tranny, I had decided to let Kendall Johnson in Winston-Salem install a Baker 6-speed. Kendall Johnson installs a ton of six speeds, has a good rep, and Kendall actually took the time to talk to me on the phone himself. For most performance work KJ seems pretty high. But, he was going to install a Baker 6 speed gear set for less than I could buy the gear set from Harley. Plus, he warranties his work and Baker has a 5 year warranty on their gear sets.

In restrospect, I probably should have stuck with my original plan. However, when I first went to talk to Shane, he had the engine builder there to talk to me as well. The engine builder used to build NASCAR engines but is now building Harley engines. I was so impressed by the engine builder that I decided to let he and Shane do the project. The engine builder took the time to tell me everything he would be doing, showed me examples of his work and examples of the cylinders of engines he had taken apart.

The engine runs great. I would definitely use the engine builder again.
For the record KJC builds a solid, nearly bulletproof high performance, high horsepower engine. I have a highly modified 80" Evo built over 6 years ago with 30K + miles on it. Heads, cam, roller rockers and crank work. Still solid and gets over 45 mph cruising the backroads 2 up. I would not hesitate to have them do the work. They test the parts in their builds on the drag strip, if it doesn't hold up there, he doesn't use it.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:22 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,668 Likes on 2,539 Posts

I looked at your list of mods and,no offense, but it seems like a hefty sum to put into a 10 year old bike--might've been cheaper to sell it & put the additional kablingy on a 103". I have a mint,lo mile '04 Fatty, and the only performance mod I plan to do is a Mikuni this winter;in addition to the stage 1 that's already there. Anything more just wouldn't be cost-efective.

Plus--the "No warranty" thing would've made me do a 180 out the front door. Seems like the tranny is your only problem,and prolly be a simple fix. I would get it fixed by the dealer & send this guy the bill,accompanied by a lawyer's letter. Or a rock!

Last edited by dickey; 09-06-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:32 AM
FBFletch
Road Master

Originally Posted by dickey
I looked at your list of mods and,no offense, but it seems like a hefty sum to put into a 10 year old bike--might've been cheaper to sell it & put the additional kablingy on a 103". I have a mint,lo mile '04 Fatty, and the only performance mod I plan to do is a Mikuni this winter;in addition to the stage 1 that's already there. Anything more just wouldn't be cost-efective.

Plus--the "No warranty" thing would've made me do a 180 out the front door. Seems like the tranny is your only problem,and prolly be a simple fix. I would get it fixed by the dealer & send this guy the bill,accompanied by a lawyer's letter. Or a rock!
You're absolutely right. It was a lot of money to put into a bike that old. When I bought the bike in 2005, I became the third owner. The original owner had ordered the bike new from HD with a ton of stuff on it. It's a really long story but, they paid on it for 3 years, had never missed a payment, and still owed $24K when they let the bank reposess the bike in 2004 (about to get busted for embezzling). I actually got to see the paperwork from the bank. The second owner told me that after he bought the bike at auction, the original owner contacted him, tried to buy the bike back and told him that they had over $30K invested in it (although I didn't really see it). After I came in possession of the bike, I put a set of PM wheels, matching brake rotors and sprocket, a sissy bar, passenger footboards, removal windshield, removable saddlebags, and more chrome on the bike (all total probably another $5000).

I was rear-ended back in September of last year (actually 9-11). The bike orginally came with a Harley Limited Edition tank and fender set. The rear fender had to be replaced and the tank had to be repainted. With what the insurance company gave me for repairs and the money I saved doing the work myself, I ended up with a $3500 custom paint job (and a few more upgrades).

Between all of the stuff the bike already had on it and my own sentimental attachment, that's how I justified spending the money to upgrade a bike that old.

Now, having said that, I'll also say that after I was forced to rent a bike to go to Sturgis (2011 Street Glide), I really enjoyed riding a newer model bike and I'd love to have one. If I happen to win the lottery, I definitely buy a new bagger. But, I'd probably keep the Fatboy and turn it back into a true cruiser.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:37 AM
FBFletch
Road Master

I think I've settled on a plan for getting everything ironed out.

I have an appointment tomorrow with my local HD dealer to install a speedometer calibration kit. That's something Shane should have done but didn't. I don't know if you can blame it on lack of knowledge or negligence but, I don't think I can expect him to compensate me for that.

I talked to a guy at KJC yesterday about the tranny. I was extremely impressed. He took the time to listen to my story (lengthy as it is) and offered me his opinions. First, he said that the problem with the transmission not shifting into neutral was most likely due to the clutch not being adjusted properly instead of the clutch packs needing to wear in. He told me that the problem with the neutral light is fairly common and easily fixed. He said that it's possible that the shifting problems could be fixed, but with a lot of aftermarket gear sets they frequently experience a wide range of problems (even some of the more well known brands like JIMS and Ultima). The ONLY ones that they don't normally have trouble with are the Bakers.

So, rather than waste a lot of time (and money) trying to get an inferior gear set to work, I decided to have KJC remove it and install a Baker OD 6-speed gear set. They ordered a gear set for me yesterday and will call me to make an appointment to install it when the gear set comes in. BTW, KJC guaranteed me it would be right when I get it back, they warranty their work, and the Baker gear set comes with a 5 year/50K mile warranty from Baker.

Beyond that, I'll provide an update after I've had a chance to communicate my intentions to SWM.

Last edited by FBFletch; 09-07-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Miked053
Supporter

Time to call MoCo directly

Old 09-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by FBFletch
had over $30K invested in it ..................... After I came in possession of the bike, I put a set of PM wheels, matching brake rotors and sprocket, a sissy bar, passenger footboards, removal windshield, removable saddlebags, and more chrome on the bike (all total probably another $5000). .......................with a $3500 custom paint job (and a few more upgrades). .
Seriously, need to see a picture of this bike. With your engine build, would you have been pushing up to $45k into this?

Old 09-07-2011, 05:52 PM
FBFletch
Road Master

Originally Posted by Markymannn
Seriously, need to see a picture of this bike. With your engine build, would you have been pushing up to $45k into this?
Well, I bought the bike for $18K in 2005. With all the stuff I've done and including this upgrade project, I've put approximately $13K into it. By the time I fix the stuff Shane didn't do correctly, I'll have at least another $3K on top of that. And that doesn't include the $5K the insurance company paid me last year (which went into the paint, upgraded pipes, instrument console, etc.). So, I will personally have $34K into it. I hope to recover a little over $1300 on the transmission.

The original owner had the Limited Edition tank and fender set installed from the factory, chrome rear swing arm, double-t handle bars, chrome front end, big nacelle headlight, custom engraved ignition cover (since replaced), "Fatboys Rule" shift linkage, chrome switch covers. I don't know if there's other stuff I'm missing, but it just didn't seem like there was anyway to run it up to $30K on the original purchase. I suppose it's possible with everything being installed by the dealer.

As soon as I get some of this stuff ironed out, I'll update the pictures in my gallery. If you take a look in my gallery now, it has my current paint job. The only visible difference will be that the cylinders and heads will be diamond cut, it now has a 45mm Mikuni carb and Hypercharger Pro-R air cleaner, oil cooler, different colored plug wires, and an LED headlight.

Quick Reply: Shane Wallace Motorcycles - BEWARE!