General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bonehead passed me in the same lane

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Coach1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Avoid the jerks because no one wins. Eye contact in mirrors is early warning of what is about to happen. My riding strategy is......he is pulling out in front of me, he doesn't see me, he's going to pass me on the right.....I'm freah'n invisible. Assuming the worst has kept me out of trouble. Bike or car....be my guest....you want to go 90 in a 50, have at it, just don't take me with you.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:59 AM
bp_shooter123
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CSP067
I gotta admit I'm trying to understand the objections, and I don't get it. This isn't about some **** trying to bond with you, it's about getting by you. Most travel lanes are 12' wide in this country ... do you really need all that, to the point you can't let someone slide by in "your" lane? Suppose you are the faster bike, coming up on some dude who figures he owns all twelve feet and you can't have any of it. Nobody is saying you can't move around in "your" lane for road hazards, visibility etc. but for just a minute, you can't slide over and let someone by?

Come on ....
No problem sliding over for anyone. I do believe that courtesy goes both ways. The rider attempting to pass should make sure that the person he is passing knows what is about to happen.
Being passed is not a problem. Having someone enter my lane while I might be changing my position in my lane is.

But then I grew up in the old days. Back then we were taught to flash your lights at the vehicle you are about to pass to let them know what was going on. And this was in a car using separate lanes.

Michael

Old 09-06-2011, 01:26 PM
jakes1000
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had cars come into my lane and even a UPS truck but when another bike comes up from behind at a high rate of speed I assume he dont want to hang out behind me so I move to the right of my lane to give him plenty of room to pass if he wants to. When I pass another bike I do it on the left and use the other lane as I would in a car. If traffic wont allow it I just stay where Im at untill I can.After all its all about enjoying the ride and getting there safe. I live in Tenn. and bikers tend to respect one another for the most part but there are exeptions to every rule and we go into it knowing this.Picking a fight at the next red light may just end up with you being offended while getting your but kicked. Pick your battles wisley because you dont know that guy and you may not want to.Never underestimate the power of stupidity. If you are cought off gaurd while on the back of your bike then maybe you are just asking for somthing bad to happen.You should always be aware of everything at all times,anyone who has ridden for any lenth of time knows this to be true.You can't get too comfertable cause thats when bad things happen on a bike. Now days any bike made after the early 80s has a headlight that you can't turn off,that being said,if you cant see a single bright light coming up from a half mile away then you're not paying enough attention and if you do see it coming then have enough sence to move to thr RIGHT side of your lane,if not then maybe you shouldn't be out there.Just because a guy is wearing full leathers and all the other crap don't mean he is a seasoned biker. I have seen guys walk in to a dealership and buy their first bike and all the gear and take off like they know what the hell they're doing(POSERS) they are everywhere along with all those skunks and turkeys and armadllos etc. just be careful and for crying out loud learn how to ride a damn motorcycle............RIDE SAFE and BE COOL ABOUT IT

Last edited by jakes1000; 09-06-2011 at 02:40 PM.