General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apehangers got too much play for my me..!..?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:38 PM
SingSing
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, TallDog. Appreciate u puttin that bug in my ear.....im gonna chew on that for awhile. Ride safe.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:44 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SingSing
Hey all. I rode these past two seasons with 20 Inch apes on my Glide and I ABSOLUTELY loved it. Didnt have as much of a "problem" as i initially anticipated. Handling was no problem. But here in NYC I got tired of these bored NYC cops pulling med over n blowin my "riders high" for "illegal" height so i bumped the bars down again to the 16's which are now even with my shoulder height. The handlin is admittedly more controlled and tighter but i still miss the 20 inchers..heres my question..With both bars I always had a lil bit of back n forth
play. I drilled two holes onto the bottom risers and two holes into the bottom cross lenth of the handlebars. I then inserted two bolts into the two handlebar holes and let the exposed lenth of the bolts sink into the holes i drilled into the bottom risers but i still get the "play" that i sought to get rid of. Any advbice out there? Im a pretty big guy (6' 220) so i know that i might be inadvertantly exerting constant forward pressure each stop n go i do. I tried pieces of rubber between the bar and clamps. Nothin seems to stop the play. Advice out there? Thanks once again.
Yeah! Stop running monkey bars! Give it up.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I second the Carlini risers.
I have the Carlini "Boob" risers that have a hidden set screw.

That along with the aggressive knurling on my BR bars makes for a rock solid mount.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:39 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Poly bushings, one piece top clamp, and home cut aluminum beer can shims around the bars where they clamp. Good to go.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:44 AM
Gary H
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure of the brand bars I have, but they are installed with the caps that came with the bar. No rubber or poly bushings. Metal to metal. Maybe I'll drill and tap the existing caps for a larger set screw and try that.. Thanks

Old 09-04-2011, 02:07 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Carlini bars and risers and you will never have this issue again, my Carlinis are so sold i think id snap the bolts before they slipped.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:38 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Get some Catlin bars and risers. Their risers come with set screws (most of them) and are rock solid. Been running them for several years without any movement whatsoever. This is the first ape setup i have found that stay solid no matter how hard you tug on the bars or how much weight you put on them.

My bars are not knurled and I was concerned when i first got them as I was wondering how they were going to stay in the same position, but I park my bike in a wheel chock and need to tug quite hard to get it out. They never go anywhere. Pricey but well worth it. Great quality and no movement.

Drew

glad to have read this post. buddy has an 01 Indian Chief with 14"ers that are just ridiculous. No idea how he rides, but since I love the guy I've been trying to figure out what to do.

I don't know why the risers and bars aren't fairly deeply splined. I know that would provide less flexibility as far as positioning goes, but I'm sure you could get 2 or 3 degree mobility and still have a solid grab?

my 16"ers flex at the bushings, but only a little.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:40 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Talldog
Sing Sing,

On my last bike (Heritage Softail), I switched out the bars for Harley's 16" Bar/Riser Combo.

There is a parts guy at the dealership who really knows his stuff and who I trust. He made a huge point of making sure I knew that I HAD to use the specific 1-piece Beefier Riser that came with the Bars. He said the taller bars required the extra strength in the Clamp and Riser and that if I didn't use it, I would most likely get some rotation with the taller bars.

On my current bike, I installed Wild-1 Chubby 14" Bagger Apes. Again, Wild-1 said that I had to use the 1-piece clamp for strength. My bike already had the 1-piece clamp so I was good to go, but otherwise, I would have had to replace it.

The point I'm trying to make is that with taller bars, you need to use a really strong Riser and Clamping system that is designed for your bars, otherwise you're gonna have problems.

Don't take a chance on those bars coming loose on you.
It's just the 1-piece top clamp that Wild 1s specifies. Seems like a definite necessity tho!

Old 09-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Figstr
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After putting on mini apes about 2 years ago, I recently started to have the same problem. I called my Indy and asked if he could drill the bars and place in some set screws. He said to use course sandpaper on the indside of the risers and the inside of the caps, along with the area of the bars that go in them. I haven't had a problem since - free fix since I had the sandpaper. I'm not sure and don't quiet remeber, but I believe is was 600 grit.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:00 PM
SingSing
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Figstr
After putting on mini apes about 2 years ago, I recently started to have the same problem. I called my Indy and asked if he could drill the bars and place in some set screws. He said to use course sandpaper on the indside of the risers and the inside of the caps, along with the area of the bars that go in them. I haven't had a problem since - free fix since I had the sandpaper. I'm not sure and don't quiet remeber, but I believe is was 600 grit.
Thanks Fig, think i will try that. worse come to worse i will have to eat the expense of pugtting my 20 inchers back on but this time will try with the carlini clamps. Will try the sandpaper bit first though...

Quick Reply: Apehangers got too much play for my me..!..?