General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valet parking

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 01:49 PM
raw
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Valet parking

Everyone, be careful on what hotel you stay at, as I have found one that tried to charge me a valet fee, to park my own bike, (of course)!
Me and my wife , on our way to Nashville, Tn, reserved a room at the Double Tree downtown, nashville.
We were quoted a price and booked it.
When we arrived , a Valet directed us to park in the very bottom of the hotel. Had to carry luggage etc, up the ramp to get to the elevator. (hot and tired ;(
Anyway, next morning rolls around, bill is left under the door with a added $26.00 valet charge.
I called the front desk and thought I would get an apoligy, and a credit. No this didn't happen, so I spoke to the front desk mgr. She would not budge on the Valet parking fee.
I asked her if it is Valet why didn't they park the bike and go get it from the basement of this place for me. Her answer is that don't let the Valet's park motorcycles. (YOU DON"T SAY!
Anyway I had to call the hotels mgr, she would not budge on the bill. I ended up calling the 800 number, and after numeorus conversations and 10 minutes on the phone, they finally credited me the charge.
(So I would not recommend staying there. If anyone does go to Nashville and wants to stay downtown, the Sheraton has FREE motorcycle parking)....
(sorry, I had to rant a little)

Old 09-01-2011, 01:55 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Thanks for posting that. It never amazes me how companies like this defy logic. Lets see; they didn't park the bike, nor did they carry the luggage up but you have to pay??

Question: Do they charge for parking normally?

Old 09-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

I am sorry but your story just put a smile on my face..From the desk clerk to the Valet people to I guess corporate..They just don't get it,what in the world is wrong with people..So did you drive the bike through the lobby?

Old 09-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Airborne06
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by raw
Everyone, be careful on what hotel you stay at, as I have found one that tried to charge me a valet fee, to park my own bike, (of course)!
Me and my wife , on our way to Nashville, Tn, reserved a room at the Double Tree downtown, nashville.
We were quoted a price and booked it.
When we arrived , a Valet directed us to park in the very bottom of the hotel. Had to carry luggage etc, up the ramp to get to the elevator. (hot and tired ;(
Anyway, next morning rolls around, bill is left under the door with a added $26.00 valet charge.
I called the front desk and thought I would get an apoligy, and a credit. No this didn't happen, so I spoke to the front desk mgr. She would not budge on the Valet parking fee.
I asked her if it is Valet why didn't they park the bike and go get it from the basement of this place for me. Her answer is that don't let the Valet's park motorcycles. (YOU DON"T SAY!
Anyway I had to call the hotels mgr, she would not budge on the bill. I ended up calling the 800 number, and after numeorus conversations and 10 minutes on the phone, they finally credited me the charge.
(So I would not recommend staying there. If anyone does go to Nashville and wants to stay downtown, the Sheraton has FREE motorcycle parking)....
(sorry, I had to rant a little)
I hope you stole a towel, a bathrobe, or something to make you feel better!

Old 09-01-2011, 02:38 PM
RobsSG
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I am sorry

I am from the Nashville area and I am sorry for your expereince. Nashville is a wonderful place, but I too have experienced the idiocy of the doubletree or double doubledunce as we call them. Try any of the other nice accommodations in Nashville, most of us country folks have sense.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:42 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

I normally don't pay much more than $26 for the hotel stay and breakfast the next morning.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:48 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me at the Marriott in downtown Toronto a few years back, except I was in a 7 ft tall duramax, and their only parking, an underground garage with 6'8" clearance, they had me park it in their valet lot, on checkout they charged me 25.00 canadian (10% more than usd). I refused to pay, I told them if they didn't have accommodations for my vehicle they need to notify customers on the reservation.

They wouldn't budge for me, then my girlfriend stepped in and said we could either pay it now and stop payment on the entire bill via our credit card, or they could just do the right thing and take the charge off. They took the 100 off.

Since then I've learned it's good practice, when driving anything other than a sedan to ask if there are charges for special vehicles, such as trucks and motorcycles.

Plan your trip accordingly and ask the right questions when you're riding!

Old 09-01-2011, 03:24 PM
fj1200
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hopefully you told the staff at the hotel that you would be posting this information on many motorcycle forums and that the future loss of of business would be far greater than removing the foolish charge from the bill. Then again, I think this staff suffers from a lack of common sense.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:40 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

I can't say I'm surprised. People just don't surprise me anymore. I've learned to expect things like this. Not that I wouldn't fight it to the bitter end either, but it just seems more and more common anymore. Glad you got it squared away though.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 09-01-2011, 04:53 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

So... they're 'sposed to give away their valuable parking spots for free? I don't think it matters whether you parked the bike or not, you did take up space in their garage, right? Would you have rather parked on the unprotected street and have taken your chances on whether or not it would be there in the morning?

You stayed at a Double Tree in a busy downtown area, my friend. Not some $36 a night rat hole out in the country. Hell, I'd have gladly paid the $26 (PLUS some), just to know that the bike was safe & protected.

Since then I've learned it's good practice, when driving anything other than a sedan to ask if there are charges for special vehicles, such as trucks and motorcycles.
Exactly!

Last edited by AnotherBlackSG; 09-01-2011 at 04:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Valet parking