General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valet parking

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 03:09 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FatboyMick
Hi folks, at the risk of sounding like real dummy. I live in the country down here in Australia, my wife has travelled the world and been and seen it all. Me, i went to the beach one time. Anyway, we decided to take a drive to Sydney, the big city. I had been through it before but never stayed there. We where checking into this swanky hotel, i'm sitting in the foyer trying to work out what the painting was of on the wall, when out ot the corner of my eye i seen our car drive off. Well, i jumped up, ran outside, watched the car go round the corner, me high tailing after it. It turned into a driveway that went down under the motel. Two porters where behind me, how embarrassed was my wife you ask? Well, when we got into the room, she called some names that i won't own up to, some i would. She didn't mention anything about valet parking, i just thought someone was stealing our car. Haha, i think it's kinda funny now. yeah i was embarrassed as well, but i didn't let on at the time. I never did ask how much that cost us. I bet the people at the motel are still getting mileage from that visit
Good one mate! I'm sure they are still talking about it...
I'm about 2 hours from Melbourne and every time I leave the country to go there I feel like a hillbilly.....Which is why I go there as little as possible..

Old 09-02-2011, 03:28 PM
bigpercentcountry
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wingnut51
They should have informed you of that when you checked in.
This would be my sticking point. They told you to park there, but didn't tell you it would cost you.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:16 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
So... they're 'sposed to give away their valuable parking spots for free? I don't think it matters whether you parked the bike or not, you did take up space in their garage, right? Would you have rather parked on the unprotected street and have taken your chances on whether or not it would be there in the morning?

You stayed at a Double Tree in a busy downtown area, my friend. Not some $36 a night rat hole out in the country. Hell, I'd have gladly paid the $26 (PLUS some), just to know that the bike was safe & protected.

Exactly!
I guess you are one of those with ZERO common sense. The charge was for VALET PARKING not for parking space rental. There is a huge difference. No one is complaing about having to pay in a charge lot.

You cannot be charged for Valet service if you parked your own vehicle and carried your own luggage.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:10 PM
CSP067
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree. The hotel may specify on its website that all parking is valet, but the fact remains the "valets" did not park a vehicle, they merely directed the OP to park his own bike in the garage, and apparently nobody mentioned any charges.

If I park my own ride and trudge out of the basement with my own bags, I'm not receiving the benefits of valet parking. Simple.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:02 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
So... they're 'sposed to give away their valuable parking spots for free? I don't think it matters whether you parked the bike or not, you did take up space in their garage, right? Would you have rather parked on the unprotected street and have taken your chances on whether or not it would be there in the morning?

You stayed at a Double Tree in a busy downtown area, my friend. Not some $36 a night rat hole out in the country. Hell, I'd have gladly paid the $26 (PLUS some), just to know that the bike was safe & protected.

Exactly!
Then it shouldn't be charged as a Valet fee, because that implies you are paying to have your vehicle Valeted. I bet the parking garage fee is already embedded in the room charge. And chances are I BET it says they aren't responsible for damage or theft to your vehicle if while in their garage.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:11 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
I normally don't pay much more than $26 for the hotel stay and breakfast the next morning.
Umm where do you stay for a price like that?

Old 09-03-2011, 07:40 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CSP067
It may be that simple if you're the village idiot, but for the rest of us, valet parking is supposed to provide convenience for the guest. That is, the guest leaves his vehicle at the entrance to the establishment, and doesn't have to schlep all his crap from the bowels of some garage. The OP was directed to park where he did, and he didn't receive any valet services.

I'm actually surprised that the objections had to go as far as they did ... should have been resolved quickly and quietly at the first level.
Sums up my feelings exactly! Well said!!