General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valet parking

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 07:55 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,729 Likes on 795 Posts

I've stayed at several Doubletrees...no issues so far. I've also found a chain of motels where the price is fair, facilities are clean and they're home grown and operated; AmericInn. Check them out if they are in an area you're ridin'.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:05 AM
remike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
I normally don't pay much more than $26 for the hotel stay and breakfast the next morning.
If I pulled into a motel that advertised $26/night for rooms. My wife would say "you better see how fast you can get this baby in gear and get me to a real motel"

Old 09-02-2011, 11:49 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
So... they're 'sposed to give away their valuable parking spots for free? I don't think it matters whether you parked the bike or not, you did take up space in their garage, right? Would you have rather parked on the unprotected street and have taken your chances on whether or not it would be there in the morning?

You stayed at a Double Tree in a busy downtown area, my friend. Not some $36 a night rat hole out in the country. Hell, I'd have gladly paid the $26 (PLUS some), just to know that the bike was safe & protected.

Exactly!
WRONGO! When you pay to stay at a hotel, parking should ALWAYS be a courtesy. Same with hospitals,airports,etc.

It really DOITCHES me off that everybody's got their GODDAM hands in my pockets nowadays,for every little thing. One day someone's gonna find a mousetrap in there!

Old 09-02-2011, 12:13 PM
BillM
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
WRONGO! When you pay to stay at a hotel, parking should ALWAYS be a courtesy. Same with hospitals,airports,etc.

It really DOITCHES me off that everybody's got their GODDAM hands in my pockets nowadays,for every little thing. One day someone's gonna find a mousetrap in there!
I agree with Dickey here and some others. Maybe in NYC, L.A., Chicago, and the like, they could charge for parking. But Nashville??? I have been to Nashville several times since I am only 4.5 hours from there. It is not that big of a city compared to the others I mentioned. If I was visiting downtown and wanted to park close for shopping or something then sure I pay to park. But not at a dang hotel where they should have parking. And I would NEVER pay for valet service. Reguardless of bike or car. Nobody drives my car that I don't know. Much less my scoot. Matter of fact, there is only about 2-3 people that I would let ride my scoot. And they are lucky if they get to do that...LOL

Old 09-02-2011, 01:04 PM
lewintennessee
Advanced

Stayed in Anaheim and they charge 9.50 a night to park at the hotel, and no free internet, let the buyer beware read the fine print before you go.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:28 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't know if you mama did not tell you you don't get nothig for free.

That is the way it is. $24.00 for Parking Valet or not you used their facility. Don't like stay at Motel 6.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:29 PM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Reminds me...In 1981 the wife and I rode our 1980 Suzuki GS1000 across the country. We are checking into a brand new hotel on the Boardwalk at Atlantic City (It might have been Bally's) All they had was Valet parking but none of the staff could ride so I rode over to the parking area. I remember griping about haviung to pay a valet charge when I parked my own bike. Anyway... next morning we check out and ride away. When we stopped for lunch I checked the bill...the ONLY charge on the bill was for the $9.00 Valet parking. The $100 room charge was not there. Seemed like justice to me.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:41 PM
BigAlsRK
Road Master

A bunch of us rode to Harrah's Grand Resort in Tunica MS last month and I was impressed....the valet pointed to the covered sidewalk in front of the main entrance and we all parked our scoots there for the 5 days we were there...no charge at all!!!

Old 09-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Wingnut51
Tourer

You're lucky you got a refund. The DoubleTree web site clearly says parking is $24 and is "Valet Only @ Hotel" with a "Self parking garage located across from hotel." They should have informed you of that when you checked in. I've seen this before in downtown hotels in big cities so I avoid them whenever possible unless I'm on expense account.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:52 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey

Originally Posted by BillM
I agree with Dickey here and some others. Maybe in NYC, L.A., Chicago, and the like, they could charge for parking. But Nashville??? I have been to Nashville several times since I am only 4.5 hours from there. It is not that big of a city compared to the others I mentioned. If I was visiting downtown and wanted to park close for shopping or something then sure I pay to park. But not at a dang hotel where they should have parking. And I would NEVER pay for valet service. Reguardless of bike or car. Nobody drives my car that I don't know. Much less my scoot. Matter of fact, there is only about 2-3 people that I would let ride my scoot. And they are lucky if they get to do that...LOL
You guys can agree, but what that tells me is that neither of you have much, experience with metropolitan hotels and/or valet parking and that's just fine - nothing wrong with that. The fact that OP was so shocked at the charges, leads me to believe the same thing about him.

No big deal either way, but I don't understand everyone bad mouthing a hotel for doing/charging what they've always done/charged. Hotel valet/parking fees are NOT a recent phenomenon (especially in big, congested cities). Don't blame the hotel because you weren't aware of it or didn't bother to read everything when you booked the reservation or when you checked in. How is that the hotel's fault?

You're lucky you got a refund. The DoubleTree web site clearly says parking is $24 and is "Valet Only @ Hotel" with a "Self parking garage located across from hotel." They should have informed you of that when you checked in.
There ya go. He coulda' self-parked across the street! But then this thread never would have existed and the rest of us would have had to watch internet **** to bide our time while we wait for the 5 o'clock bell!

Last edited by AnotherBlackSG; 09-02-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Valet parking